Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Screening?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

So after a drunken night out ended up with someone three weeks ago and although showing no symptoms would better be safe than sorry. Public, free sti checkup's have a three week waiting list. Anyone know where to get a check up that wont cost an arm and a leg? In waterford region, but can travel a little bit. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

ask how much your gp charges for them. for swabs/urine it may not cost a lot more than the standard fee.

I wouldn't bother with the blood tests unless the person was african or from some other high risk group. Furthermore you can't get reliably tested for HIV for another 9weeks as it takes a while for antibodies to be produced. So if you are concerned about them book the free test for then and get checked for the more likely chlamydia/gonorrhoea etc with the GP in the meantime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

As an addition to the above, Waterford City forum, may have someone with a bit more advice as to actual locations.

(Click here)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You are better going to a clinic. I went to a doctor before going to a clinic but he didn't do all of the proper testing.

Also not to scare you but the a-hole that was giving me my exam said it doesn't hurt and if I'd heard otherwise it was the guys just being babies. It does hurt. It hurts like a mofo for about 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I have been to the doctor and the clinic and they both did the same tests. Just make sure that your doctor takes blood samples too.

Think it cost me €70 at the doctors and it was free at the drop in clinic at st James'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You are better going to a clinic. I went to a doctor before going to a clinic but he didn't do all of the proper testing.

Also not to scare you but the a-hole that was giving me my exam said it doesn't hurt and if I'd heard otherwise it was the guys just being babies. It does hurt. It hurts like a mofo for about 30 seconds.

It should be a small sting not lasting more than a few seconds...Your doctor seems like a numpty.

Go to a proper clinic OP, they do it all day every day, there will be absolutely minimum pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Wompa1 wrote: »

What was it that hurt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I got a standard check-up in James a few weeks, but nothing hurt in any way, apart from my pride. the blood test was the nearest it came and that was nothing but a mild sting.

It was show the new girl how to do the STI test day, so I had the joy of sharing my sexual history and having my bits examined but not one but two doctors!

Fun times!

Advertisement