Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting/Flashing & warranty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I wonder if I can get this to work with HTC. In my case, HTC refused to repair the power button on my Sensation XL free of charge because I put a custom ROM on it.

The problem is that I'm not sure that I can prove that is definitely software related - the power button broke on my S XL, and I'm not sure it would make it through flashing an RUU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't see how a flashing a custom ROM can cause your power button to fail. Ive heard others have trouble getting HTC to cover warranties aswell.
    Hardware issue should be covered. No harm looking farther into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I should have phrased that better, sorry. The power button started acting up after I flashed the custom ROM. HTC said in their response to me:
    Thank you for replying.

I can confirm that the what we refer to as "illegal software" is custom ROM's on the phone. If the bootloader has been unlocked then the warranty will be void as the security has been de-activated and a non official ROM's is on the phone which can effectively destroy the motherboard.

If we where to repair the phone with the bootloader unlocked then we will need to replace the motherboard to have the security replaced. I must make you aware that replacing the motherboard due to the bootloader being unlocked will be a chargeable.

Despite the fact that if I put a charger into the phone I can get to the recovery menu and boot into Android.....the whole business of locking and unlocking the device becomes a bit tricky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭G1032

I should have phrased that better, sorry. The power button started acting up after I flashed the custom ROM. HTC said in their response to me:

Despite the fact that if I put a charger into the phone I can get to the recovery menu and boot into Android.....the whole business of locking and unlocking the device becomes a bit tricky though.
    read somewhere recently, possibly even in the thread posted in the OP that locking boot loader is against EU law also. Not certain where I saw that but read through that XDA thread and see.

Advertisement