Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire, tesco mobile settings

• 13-08-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭

:confused: can anyone help me out here? i know this question must pop up alot,

but i searched this forum before starting this thread and couldnt find

definitive answers. i basically have a desire on the tesco network, unlocked o2 phone (if that means anything). tesco sent me an email
    showing me how to input settings but they dont work for me.

sometimes i hate technology:(

i had a look at this post, but i dont understand how to input the settings

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59482944&postcount=11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Settings > Wireless and networks > Mobile networks > APN settings

..or something similar.. I don't have mine to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's menu > settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > access point names and then hit menu and new apn. sub in the settings where possible. let us know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Yea I've gotten that far and entered the settings but still no luck. Thanks anyways lads I will keep plugging away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

try this then and let us know how you get on. leave any options not listed below blank.

name: tesco
    apn: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    proxy: 10.1.11.19
    port: 8080
    mmsc: http://mmc1/servlets/mms

Random wrote: »
    try this then and let us know how you get on. leave any options not listed below blank.

name: tesco
    apn: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    proxy: 10.1.11.19
    port: 8080
    mmsc: http://mmc1/servlets/mms

ok random, tried that, in WIRELESS AND NETWORKS i am getting this message: MOBILE NETWORK = TURNING ON. but it never does:(

just to add further confusion tesco sent me these settings, but they are not the settings for my phone or there just generic? settings for a smartphone?

Random, for your pleasure:D

Further to your conversation with one of our Customer Care Representiives today, please find below the Manual Internet Settings for your phone. Please note that these are general settings and may vary from handset to handset
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Connections and then click on the 'Connections' icon
    2. Click the 'Advanced' tab at the bottom of the screen and then the 'Select Networks' button.
    3. Click the 'New' button immediately below 'My ISP' (don't try to edit an existing entry)
    4. Enter 'TMI GPRS' as the name for the settings and then click on the 'Modem' tab.
    5. Tap the 'New' button and enter 'TMI GPRS' as the name for the connection and 'Cellular Line (GPRS)' as the modem.
    6. Tap on the 'Next' button and set up the access point name as 'tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com'.
    7. Tap on the 'Next' button, leave the username, password and domain fields blank and click the 'Advanced' tab.
    8. Ensure both the 'TCP/IP' and 'Servers' tabs are set to 'Use server assigned IP address' and then click on 'Ok'
    9. Tap the 'Finish' button and a TMI GPRS connection should be visible.
    10. Click the 'Proxy Settings' tab and ensure the 'This network connects to the internet' and 'This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet' boxes are both ticked.
    11. Click the 'Advanced' button and in the WAP field enter the Server address as: 10.1.11.19 and the Port as: 8080.
    12. Tap 'Ok' then 'Ok' again and the TMI GPRS connection should be shown in the field at the top of the screen.
    13. Tap 'Ok' once more then select the 'Tasks' tab at the bottom of the screen. The TMI GPRS connection should be shown.
    14. Tap on 'Ok' and your GPRS connection is now set up
    If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email, or by dialling 1749 from your Tesco Mobile or 0894200000 from any other phone.
    Kind Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

I stand to be corrected but AFAIK Tesco Mobile is only 2G.

SkySter wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected but AFAIK Tesco Mobile is only 2G.

this is what it says on their site......

Note: Our Mobile Internet service is provided through the WAP/GPRS network service and is not a high speed broadband service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have to ask why anyone would have a desire on the "Tesco" network...

I have to ask why anyone would have a desire on the "Tesco" network...

tesco is very cheap and i am in either in work, at home or in obriens:D

so i have free wifi everywhere. it costs 2.99 a week for the mobile internet thingy. this is what im having a problem with at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You could have Meteor 50/50 + 250MB for €15 p.m...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 EagleWhite

emo72 wrote: »
    tesco is very cheap and i am in either in work, at home or in obriens:D so i have free wifi everywhere. it costs 2.99 a week for the mobile internet thingy.
    Hi everybody!

I started digging in this "tesco mobile" stuff today and it looks very interesting... and cheap. Cheap international calls and data rate at 0.79c per MB looks great (I don't mind 2g speeds, it's more than enough for email, opera mini and weather syncing), but I'm curious what is the point in their "bundles"? For example you can buy 350MB of data transfer for 7 days for €2.99 or 50MB for 24 hours for €0.79, when normally 350MB would cost ~€2.77 and 50MB - ~40c, and no stupid time limits. Where is sense in this? Unless their regular rate for 1MB is 79 cents, not 0.79c.

Does anyone have tesco mobile and can explain to me how it works out in practice? I'm seriously considering moving from meteor to tm.

well 2.99 a week is fine for me, all i ever do is just browse my essential forums, no downloading.the biggest bummer for me is that i haven't got it working yet.

i just cant get 3g to click on for me, and after asking here and scouring the internet with google i cant get it working. im flummoxed.

anyone help a braw ??

i just cant get 3g to click on for me, and after asking here and scouring the internet with google i cant get it working.
    But your itnernet/data connection is working fine? Then maybe you will never get 3g, because they are only 2g network? Even MMS's works only inside their network, that's probably because they are pumping them as ordinary data. No wonder, it's tesco, they will do anything to save a penny, so maybe they only licensed 2g band from o2. :rolleyes:

EagleWhite wrote: »
    But your itnernet/data connection is working fine? Then maybe you will never get 3g, because they are only 2g network? Even MMS's works only inside their network, that's probably because they are pumping them as ordinary data. No wonder, it's tesco, they will do anything to save a penny, so maybe they only licensed 2g band from o2. :rolleyes:

no, my internet data thingy has never worked. i have only used wifi.

my "mobile network type" is hsdpa. thats 3g isn't it? i rang them and the 100% confirmed they went 3g a few months ago.

no, my internet data thingy has never worked. i have only used wifi.
    Sorry to hear this, now I'm a bit reluctant to switch, what if I will have the same problem with my Milestone? Currently it's working just fine on Meteor.
    my "mobile network type" is hsdpa. thats 3g isn't it? i rang them and the 100% confirmed they went 3g a few months ago.
    Yes, hsdpa means it's 100% 3g.

I think I will just buy a starter at Tesco and give it a try, if it's fine I will switch. I will also let you know when (if) i will set up internet correctly.

okay, an update on this issue, because i think you all need to be aware.

Tesco mobile offer no help if you are using a non tesco mobile. they only

have support for the cheap nokias and samsungs that they sell

themselves. So if you have a nice iphone or desire they will not offer you any support to get the 3g mobile internet working on your device.

this is what they told me on their customer support line.

although their prices are cheap, i cant get the 3g working, so i will have to consider if its worth my while staying on their network:(

Same story here. After several emails to support they were unable to help me either. Settings they give are working on old nokias (heck, I even had gprs working on a nokia with tiny monochromatic screen), but for whatever reason gprs on android is just dead, and they don't know why. Shame, because android is rapidly getting more popular. In this situation I have no other option but to use up all my credit and stay with Meteor.

Advertisement