Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translate into Irish help!

Options
  • 01-05-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    Can anybody translate the following into Irish for me? I want to use it as an inscription.
    THE LORD IS MY Shepherd
    I have seen several different versions so am not sure what is correct.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Is é an Tiarna m'aoire.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Paper Clip wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anybody translate the following into Irish for me? I want to use it as an inscription.
    THE LORD IS MY SHEPARD
    Many thanks.

You'd have better luck finding a translation if you searched for "shepherd".

Is é an Tiarna m'aoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Hi,
    THE LORD IS MY SHEPARD
    Many thanks.

I'm fairly sure this would be <'Sé an Tiarna m'aoire>. That's what the hymn is as Gaeilge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paper Clip

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was given Sé an Tiarna m'aoire and was worried that is was incorrect. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paper Clip

Sorry for my spelling of shepherd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was given Sé an Tiarna m'aoire and was worried that is was incorrect. Thanks again.

Actually as the other posters said, to write it as an inscription would be "Is é" but it would be pronounced "Sé". Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Hi,
    THE LORD IS MY SHEPARD
    Many thanks.

I'd go along with what the others recommend.
    The other version you may have seen is the Donegal one and it's fine too.
    Is é an Tiarna mo shréadaí.
    The word sréadaí itself has been standardized to tréadaí.

Advertisement