Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bardic Poetry

Options
  • 29-04-2015 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I have a quick question for anyone here with knowledge of old irish literature.

I understand that in the 1600s it was common for Irish poets to write verses praising their patrons. Is there a word in Irish for this type of poem? A quick scan of the literature on the topic hasn't been very helpful to me, but I wouldn't exactly know where to look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Undergod wrote: »

I understand that in the 1600s it was common for Irish poets to write verses praising their patrons. Is there a word in Irish for this type of poem? A quick scan of the literature on the topic hasn't been very helpful to me, but I wouldn't exactly know where to look.

From the 12th to the 16th century poets (called 'baird') were, indeed, employed by the Chieftains.
    'An Dán Díreach' is the type you are looking for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Dán molta" is a poem of praise, and as said above the style of poetry is dán díreach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Ah - dán molta! Is é an frása!

I'm writing a piece of music that is intended to be a celebration in a similar sense - would "saothar molta" carry the same connotation? Saothar seems to be a translation for "opus"/"work", in the compositional sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Undergod wrote: »

For the future, here's a very lucid one-page summary of the evolution of Irish poetry metrics from the sixth to the seventeenth centuries by Pádraig Ó Néill:

Pádraig Ó Néill, 'Metrics' in Seán Duffy, Medieval Ireland: an encyclopedia (Routledge, 2005)

Advertisement