Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cregg Wood Anniversary

Options
  • 17-04-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

I don't know Clare at all.
    Where exactly is Clonrush graveyard and Cregg wood? I have been on Google Maps and I see the church in Whitegate. Is Clonrush near there? Is Clonrush graveyard IN Whitegate? Where is Cregg Wood? Can't find it in Google maps at all.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Clonrush graveyard http://goo.gl/maps/rJ6EV Cregg woods is just outside the village of Whitegate on the Portumna road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Clonrush graveyard http://goo.gl/maps/rJ6EV Cregg woods is just outside the village of Whitegate on the Portumna road

Found the graveyard Thanks. I have been reading about that Brendan O'Donnell case-the anniversary of which is coming around soon as it happens-and mention was made of places like Cregg, Cregg Wood and Clonrush graveyard and i wanted to locate them on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Its 20 years now since that awful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Cregg Wood is one of the most awful places iv'e ever been to. The look of the place even fits the mood. Even after so long I can't go past there without thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-landscape-of-a-nightmare-30135907.html

This week is the 20th anniversary of the Cregg Wood Murders. Hard to believe that it is 20 years. It was one of the defining moments of my teenage years. The end of innocence I suppose, and the realisation that the West of Ireland wasn't the safe haven we believed it to be.

Thinking of all those involved, and wondering if others are the same.

Mods - wasn't sure where to post. Feel free to move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thread merged with existing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I read JJ Muggivan's book about Brendan O'Donnell a couple of months ago. "A tragedy waiting to happen" was a very apt title, considering what he had been through in his childhood (clerical sex abuse) and various other things that were noted by his teachers and neighbours.

It was horrible to think of three innocent people - one a small child - being executed in such a fashion so close to where we were growing up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I read JJ Muggivan's book about Brendan O'Donnell a couple of months ago. "A tragedy waiting to happen" was a very apt title, considering what he had been through in his childhood (clerical sex abuse) and various other things that were noted by his teachers and neighbours.

It was horrible to think of three innocent people - one a small child - being executed in such a fashion so close to where we were growing up. :(

Yes that is the book I was reading when I got interested in the place names. I vaguely remember the actual events themselves. I never heard of Muggivan at all and was wondering when reading the book about O'Donnell's father too. Did Muggivan somehow adopt him? He seems to have had a close relationship with him yet as far as I can remember from the book, O'Donnell's father was still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes that is the book I was reading when I got interested in the place names. I vaguely remember the actual events themselves. I never heard of Muggivan at all and was wondering when reading the book about O'Donnell's father too. Did Muggivan somehow adopt him? He seems to have had a close relationship with him yet as far as I can remember from the book, O'Donnell's father was still alive?

That's correct his father was alive but his mother had died when he was about 8 or 9. JJ Muggivan sort of fostered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i remember vaguely hearing of this case as a child, i wanted to locate exactly where it occurred because i always heard mentioned in the media that the cregg woods area and the area in general was a haunting and forbidding place even before this tragedy. just wondering as to why this would be. people said it was very isolated so i always imagined it was down west west clare kind of next stop america. i haave never been to clare just wondering is it a county a bit like donegal kind of isolated culturally and socially from greater munster area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i remember vaguely hearing of this case as a child, i wanted to locate exactly where it occurred because i always heard mentioned in the media that the cregg woods area and the area in general was a haunting and forbidding place even before this tragedy. just wondering as to why this would be. people said it was very isolated so i always imagined it was down west west clare kind of next stop america. i haave never been to clare just wondering is it a county a bit like donegal kind of isolated culturally and socially from greater munster area

It was in East Clare. How did you come to your last conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Dickie10 wrote: »
    is it a county a bit like donegal kind of isolated culturally and socially from greater munster area

not really. Ennis is one of the biggest towns in the country and (depending on where in Clare you are) you're quite close to Galway and Limerick cities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i know cregg woods in whitegate but wondering where the location of the shrine is?

YFruLzR.jpg

Advertisement