Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pointless

• 12-04-2011 3:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch this? It's on BBC weekdays at 4.30 and hosted by Alexander Armstrong. It's kind a gameshow mixed with a quizshow mixed with a general knowledge show... if that makes sense....

Anyhow, i think it's really good... just wanted to know if any other people watched it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

I've been watching. It's an excellent format, good hosts. Great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Yep I watch it and on average I get at least 1 pointless answer per show.
    :o or :D ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kristy01

Yeah i am also watching this show. It's really awesome new series have brilliant storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Love it, Good presenters and a clever format you can play along with.

Better than the guess-the-box nonsense on 'Deal or no Deal'

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Watch it most days, the presenters, Alexandra and Richard make the show

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ye must all be dole heads watching t.v at that hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

ye must all be dole heads watching t.v at that hour.
    Not everyone works the standerd 9-5.;)

Had a pointless answer in the final round yesterday. "Name a post War Tour de France Winner" Nobody said Steven Roche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

They had a round about the UK government today and were getting 100's all over the place. Like the programme, have a nice variety of contestants on it and good presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

The final question today about the directer general's of the BBC was very difficult, I wonder if that was deliberate to build up the jackpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

sgb wrote: »
    The final question today about the directer general's of the BBC was very difficult, I wonder if that was deliberate to build up the jackpot

That's what I thought as well. Well done to the pair who guessed a right answer. I thought any answer would've been pointless really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Types of bats? Medical terms? Difficult episode today!

That bat question thing was balls though

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

The prisemoney is absolutely shocking.

cup of tea wrote: »
    The prisemoney is absolutely shocking.
    It's no different than any other BBC show really. The most that people tend to win on The Weakest Link is about 2000-3000. Eggheads only increase the prizemoney by 1000 a show also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

kristy01 wrote: »
    Yeah i am also watching this show. It's really awesome new series have brilliant storyline.

You sure you're watching it!!?

I still atch it now but I preferred the first series were it was a simpler concept but harder to get right or pointless answers

Are people still watching this? Have to say i'm still addicted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I try to watch it everyday. It's one of the few game shows I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I watch it without fail whenever I'm home at that time.
    It's a great concept, and Alexander and Richard really make it.

I like how I'll usually get a couple of pointless every episode, but so many that I'll be screaming at the contestants for not getting them. It's a good difficulty level.

Did you know that Richard's brother is the bass player with the band Suede?
    He mentioned it when they were mentioned a few weeks back when the final round was about Mercury Music Prize-winning bands.

It's my favourite Quiz, always like it.

It has great shoutablility if you are playing at home.

The banter between Richard and Alexander is brilliant.

My only gripe is that I wish they would publish all the answers to each question on the web, it would be nice to know how many said your answer (and if it was correct!)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

I also watch this show and think it's great.

Intelligent format as well as interesting and informative. Also requires a degree of intelligence to do well in the show which is always a plus.

Alexander and Richard also have a great chemistry.

Love the show.

Edit - Also, did anyone ever see the episode where the contestants who made the final round and their topic was on Irish Presidents.

The answers they came up with were hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Indeed. I like it.

I'd say it could be finishing soon.

Isn't it a Summery show? Used to be on ITV I think too.

• Advertisement

barbarians wrote: »
    The answers they came up with were hilarious.

Yup i remember that. They had to make up one answer, another was a Scottish Polititian and i think the third was Bertie or someone like that!

Indeed. I like it.

I'd say it could be finishing soon.

Isn't it a Summery show? Used to be on ITV I think too.

No, It was previously on BBC2 but recently got bumped up to replace The Weakest Link on BBC1

Lots more episodes to come, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Love it. Do the 9-5 but record it. Richard is class and by recording it I can cut out some of the "getting to know the contestants" crap and make it a 25 minute episode. Generally get one pointless an episode but only ever ever got one last round pointless - John Grisham novels - Playing for Pizza! Very proud that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Love the concept, but I find getting an answer 100 people failed to get for such measly prizemoney is far too difficult for most people.

I got a Pointless final round during the week

Cher Singles - 'Love and Understanding', although Richard was surprised it was pointless.

Still, It made my tea-time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Skid wrote: »
    No, It was previously on BBC2 but recently got bumped up to replace The Weakest Link on BBC1

Lots more episodes to come, hopefully.

Actually jimmy's right, the 1st season of it was shown on ITV/UTV but for some reason UTV/ITV didn't want it anymore, then BBC brought the rights to it and re-vamped it (it only used to have celebrity contestants on it on ITV), it was then shown on BBC2, then BBC1.

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Actually jimmy's right, the 1st season of it was shown on ITV/UTV but for some reason UTV/ITV didn't want it anymore, then BBC brought the rights to it and re-vamped it (it only used to have celebrity contestants on it on ITV), it was then shown on BBC2, then BBC1.

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

Nothing on here about it being on ITV - was it the same format?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointless_%28TV_series%29

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointless_%28TV_series%29#Original_series

That says Series 4 ended 26 Aug 2011.

So is it on Series 5 now? Strange that it would run on through. I thought they'd take a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So is it on Series 5 now? Strange that it would run on through. I thought they'd take a break.

Countdown oftern runs straight into another series, though the wikipedia might just have not been updated for a while.

Usually the sports questions at the end suit me, twice I can think of I got 2/3 pointless ones in it. Though I do think the difficulty of the final round is a little unfair, losing finalists should be given an extra shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

amacachi wrote: »
    Countdown oftern runs straight into another series, though the wikipedia might just have not been updated for a while.

Usually the sports questions at the end suit me, twice I can think of I got 2/3 pointless ones in it. Though I do think the difficulty of the final round is a little unfair, losing finalists should be given an extra shot.

Yeah, it sometimes seems unfair that a good pair can get to the final and get a really tough round, or one they just don't know much about and that's it, whereas a really crap pair get knocked out in the first round and get to come back again..

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Degag wrote: »
    Yup i remember that. They had to make up one answer, another was a Scottish Polititian and i think the third was Bertie or someone like that!

Ya they went for Neil Kinnock who is Scottish and came up with Paddy Ashdown I think the name was because Paddy and Ashdown are common names in Ireland, apparently. I have never met an Ashdown in my life.

Can't remember what other name they came up with, think it might have been John Hume or something.

Managed to get 3 pointless answers in the final round that day :cool:

Ya they went for Neil Kinnock who is Scottish and came up with Paddy Ashdown I think the name was because Paddy and Ashdown are common names in Ireland, apparently. I have never met an Ashdown in my life.

Can't remember what other name they came up with, think it might have been John Hume or something.

Managed to get 3 pointless answers in the final round that day :cool:

The other answer was that well known Irish politician, Tony Benn :)
    They didn't win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

... Neil Kinnock who is Welsh .....
    FYP
    :)

Anybody watching the final round today?
    Name any Asterix Book - they answered Hagar the Horrible,Vulcan the Viking and Rupert The Bear.:p Ah well, it's not about the winning, they had a lovely day out ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Used to watch this all the time last year, great hosts, bit of fun, mixed with intelligence, and a few babes along the way

• Advertisement

They were off the air for most of the summer with Wimbledon, Snooker etc so i'm guessing that was it's break!

New Series starting tomorrow!

Advertisement