Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBC: Keep or Cancel

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

It’s Keep Or Cancel time again – and this time around we’re talking about NBC, the once mighty network king that’s had a rough ride over the last few years.

But things are looking up for the network with some interesting new projects slated for the Fall – I’m excited for Smash, the behind the scenes Broadway show, A Mann’s World, set in an LA hair salon and the much talked about Playboy TV series. Beats your usual cop shows!

But first NBC has to decide what to keep for the Fall – and as you can see from the very short list of already renewed shows there’s not much Must See TV on the network currently. So what stays – and what goes?

ALREADY RENEWED: Community, Parks And Recreation, 30 Rock, The Office, The Sing Off, The Biggest Loser

ALREADY GONE: Outlaw, Undercovers, Chase, The Cape

KEEP OR CANCEL:
    PARENTHOOD: NBC really wants its ensemble parenting drama to be a hit – but despite a familiar cast and many magazine covers, Parenthood is still not an out-and-out hit. The most recent showing scored less than 5 million viewers and a 1.9 18-49 share – we’re not exactly talking American Idol here! But NBC seems committed to the show and I can’t see them giving up on it anytime soon so I think it gets one more season to prove itself (which it won’t) KEEP

THE EVENT: And to think it all started out so promisingly!

I was definitely a fan of NBC’s sci-fi series when it debuted last Fall and had high hopes for the show. But just like Flash Forward before it, The Event has been on a decline ever since its debut. While ratings started in the 11 million range they’re now hovering around the 4 million mark, with a measly 1.2 18-49 rating. And this is an expensive show with a large cast, location filming and special effects.

Chances of The Event returning for a second season? Pretty much zero at this point. Shows with complex storylines are notoriously difficult for new viewers to get into so NBC know the ratings aren’t going to go up. Let’s just hope the series finale ‘Event’ is worth the wait! CANCEL

PERFECT COUPLES: Wait is this show still on the air? Yep, by a miracle NBC are still airing episodes of their rookie sitcom that’s the latest addition to the Thursday night comedy block. Couples is underperforming like fellow ‘relationship comedy’ series Mad Love and Better With You – only worse! Last week’s new episode pulled in just over TWO million viewers and a 1.0 18-49 share. Yep, you read that right. Do you even need to ask if the show will come back? CANCEL

OUTSOURCED: I’m not a huge fan of NBC’s Indian call center comedy – though to be fair I haven’t watched it recently, so it may have improved. Sadly the ratings haven’t and given that NBC have already renewed Parks And Recreation and Community I have a feeling Outsourced is on its way out. CANCEL

LAW AND ORDER: SVU / LA: The revamped Law And Order: LA returns next week so it’s hard to judge at this stage. Meanwhile TV veteran SVU – now in its 12th season – is still performing relatively well, despite some slippage in the last couple of years. If cast deals can be hammered out this one’s a dead cert to come back. KEEP

CHUCK: Uh oh – I could get in trouble here! This time last year I was berating NBC for bringing Chuck back and setting of quite a firestorm here on the site! But I still stand by my argument that Chuck has never been a hit and will never be a hit, so by renewing the show NBC was essentially throwing in the towel and lowering the ratings bar.

Now here we are 12 months later, Chuck is even lower in the ratings (hovering around the 1.5 18-49 mark) and yet chances are the show will return for another season, simply by default, as the network competition is so poor and the fan base so rabid! KEEP

HARRY’S LAW: A few weeks ago Harry’s Law was a dead cert for renewal with rosy ratings out of the box (though below par 18-49 demos). But like so many shows recently, Harry has been losing ground ever since. That said, though those youth demos aren’t great – a 1.6 last week – Harry’s is still well above the network average for viewers. Last week’s episode pulled in 8.54 million eyeballs. That’s why I call this one a keeper! KEEP

AMERICA’S GOT TALENT: It’s back for another season this summer but let’s be honest Simon Cowell’s warm weather talent show is going to run and run. It’s been the number one show of the summer for the last 5 years running and the Season 5 finale was the highest rated to date, pulling in a mighty 16.41 million viewers. Plus last season delivered the show’s first legitimate recording star, child opera singer Jackie Evancho whose post AGT CD has now sold over a million copies (somehow I don’t expect series winner Michael Grimm to do the same). KEEP

THE MARRIAGE REF: It was meant to return to our screens last month but has now been pushed back to the summer. Jerry Seinfeld’s universally loathed Marriage Ref somehow scored a second season pick up but I just can’t see the lame premise gaining any traction. Fact is – it’s not a good show and will never be. One more season and its gone. CANCEL

AMERICA’S NEXT GREAT RESTAURANT: Say bye bye everyone! You can’t pull in less than 4 million viewers on the ultra competitive Sunday night and stay on air. CANCEL

CELEBRITY APPRENTICE: Ugh – Donald Trump! His presidential run is pure PR stunt to me, but Celebrity Apprentice still delivers decent ratings, good demo numbers and plenty of buzzworthy TV moments. There’s no way NBC are letting this one go. KEEP

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE: Oh the wasteland that is Friday nights! CBS and Fox are sticking with scripted shows – foolishly in my opinion – while ABC and NBC have gone the unscripted route. NBC’s chief offering, genealogy show Who Do You Think You Are attracts great names and is a classy, smart show. And with ratings of just over 6 million viewers and an okay (for Friday) 1.3 18-49 rating, it’s not going anywhere. KEEP

MINUTE TO WIN IT: I happen to think Minute is a really fun game show – but no matter how NBC schedules it the format just doesn’t seem to be catching on here in the US. Still the show is cheap to produce and has sold around the world so I think it’ll stick around for a while. KEEP

THE PAUL REISER SHOW / THE VOICE: These two are still to launch so who knows how they’ll fare…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I agree on all but Parenthood. That is a clunker IMO and should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

As much as I love Chuck, I think it's run its course. There's been so much filler nonsense this season It should have ended last year, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Glad I gave up on the event after episode 5 now

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cancel all..

The only two I'm conflicted on is Chuck and Outsourced.

Chuck's been really middling this year.. but it's still great fun at times. So I hold to see at least one more season there.

Outsourced started off decent, but has been terrible since mid-season. I'd say scrap it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    Cancel all..

The only two I'm conflicted on is Chuck and Outsourced.

Chuck's been really middling this year.. but it's still great fun at times. So I hold to see at least one more season there.

Outsourced started off decent, but has been terrible since mid-season. I'd say scrap it also.

I agree - they're the only two shows I'm uncertain about. While I'd love to see them both back, I don't think it'd bother me much if they were cancelled. Once Community and The Biggest Loser got renewed, I stopped caring about what else NBC does...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Paul Reiser Show? Are NBC "nucking futs"?

I predict a big fat ol' CANCEL there.

PS - poor Omid Djalili.. a very funny comedian absolutely wasted in this!

I can see the complaints about Chuck, but I think it deserves another season to wrap things up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

As much as I love Chuck, I think it's run its course. There's been so much filler nonsense this season It should have ended last year, tbh.

Agree with this, i loved that it was brought back for another go despite its generally bad ratings but the whole storyline with the mother just does nothing for me, dunno why, its pretty similar to the storyline about the father come to think of it...

Anyways yes, like the show, used to love it, time for it to wrap up me thinks.

Chuck showed last night why it deserves another season. Top notch episode.

Thats good to hear actually, i should probably watch all of the recent episodes before i call for its execution.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It scored a series low of 1.3, it's showing why NBC might cancel!

It scored a series low of 1.3, it's showing why NBC might cancel!

In fairness to NBC at this point, you cant say they didnt try, they've given that show so many opportunities to draw in the viewers and it just never did.

Unlike FOX who drops a show at the slightest whiff that it isnt going to be american idol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    The Paul Reiser Show? Are NBC "nucking futs"?

I predict a big fat ol' CANCEL there.

PS - poor Omid Djalili.. a very funny comedian absolutely wasted in this!

Oh God, that looks awful...

Advertisement