Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme Couponing

Options
  • 11-04-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

They'll make TV shows out of anything these days

As an aside, why don't we use coupons much here ? I went looking for some today & all I saved off my shopping was €1.10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

iMax wrote: »
    They'll make TV shows out of anything these days

As an aside, why don't we use coupons much here ? I went looking for some today & all I saved off my shopping was €1.10

What a terrible premise for a show. Lots of people here going mad for coupons now with city/boards/living/bed-deals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im always on the lookout for coupons, i saw a booklet of supermacs coupons on the street last week and picked them up:o

:eek: Her grocery bill went from $230 to $6.52 after the coupons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I never use coupons!...even the Dunnes Stores ones, i feel like a scrounger and loser if i pull 'em out. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I never use coupons!...even the Dunnes Stores ones, i feel like a scrounger and loser if i pull 'em out. :o

This is by no means a dig at you, but that's part of where things went wrong here. These coupons & discounts are provided by the manufacturer/supplier to entice you to use their goods/service.

Feeling like "a scrounger and loser" is dumb. If they want to give you money off, you should take it.

I watched that show earlier & (while I admit it's for TV & also US based where the culture is much bigger), the discounts are phenomenal, one of the women in the episode I watched, did her shopping, filled four trolleys, it came to over $1,200 & she ended up paying around $56 (4.6% of the original price). Admittedly, she had 62 units of French's Mustard (which cost her $3.62 total after coupons). She also bought 100 boxes of cereal because she had a coupon for dollar off each one, but also a mail in rebate for the actual price which meant she made $100 by buying them.

The loyalty card system over there is also far more efficient. you buy your stuff, scan the card a the end, earn your points & they also apply in-store rebates which are in addition to the coupons. - I remember back in the late 90s being in Los Angeles & going shopping in the local "Ralphs" which is kinda like superquinn (in terms of market position). Anyway, we get to the checkout with our groceries, but my buddy who lived there had forgotten to give us his card. The checkout girl keyed in his phone number & all the discounts were applied right at the till

• Advertisement

The coupon/reward/store loyality system is very poor in Ireland. Spend €1 and you get one point, So basically you have to spend €100 to get one lousy Euro. The double/triple points thing Dunnes used to do a fair bit has stopped.

Ergo there is no incentive for shoppers, but Boards has a pretty ace Bargain Alerts section which is always active :-)

Have just watched a few episodes of this, its fantastic, if only i lived in America i think i would have a chance to be on this show.

The coupon/reward/store loyality system is very poor in Ireland. Spend €1 and you get one point, So basically you have to spend €100 to get one lousy Euro. The double/triple points thing Dunnes used to do a fair bit has stopped.

Ergo there is no incentive for shoppers, but Boards has a pretty ace Bargain Alerts section which is always active :-)

Dunnes used to have a 25% discount last year for a few weekends where you get 25% back to your card.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The mind boggles. And I just knew the checkout girl was going to say "Q-Pawns" :P

Have just watched a few episodes of this, its fantastic, if only i lived in America i think i would have a chance to be on this show.

Decided to check this out as well, looks entertaining....it's been renewed for a second season :)

• Advertisement

Was unbelievably successful. Caused several chains of supermarkets to change their coupon program.

In the latest episode a woman from Seattle grocery bill came to over $2,500 and she walked out of the store paying nothing and getting a $35 gift card.
    God Bless America.

My issue is this, i just don't get the point of couponing?....i mean, the saving are unreal!, in ep. 1 yer wan had a bill of like 1800 bucks and she ended up pay like 6 quid....unreal!

But my issue is the amount you have to buy to make the savings, there familys homes were FULL up with hundreads of items stuffed in every nook and cranny, they had hundreads of bog roll, like 60 tubes of mustard.....they had enough to last three years.

So from watching it it seems VERY obsessive/compulsive....why would you need to buy in such bulk?, how are you gonna consume it all??????????

It just seems OTT to me, i love a bargain but i'd never buy more then i'd realistically use, i mean even a two for one offer in Dunnes, i get freaked out and pressured to eating something quicker then i normally would, or it go out of date and end up in the bin, lol.

You can save considerably. Check out the couponing thread in bargains or facebook.com/bubblegum.ie

Coupons are totally different here, but there was a price promotion on for comfort & persil during the summer that had the largest size at half price. At the same time there were coupons available for an additional €2 off. Combined the price was just less than 1/3 of rrp. Big saving.

Season 2 preview!....lol!, the comments section....how people are taking the mick out of the system, how stores and retailers had to change because of the show:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/31/extreme-couponing-season-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PR79

what a great country we live in for coupons. i saved up coupons giving €26 off €47 worth of ****e, half of which went out of date cos i never intended on eating it anyway.

Having a look at the ratings there....season 3 seems like a lock.

Advertisement