Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galant Diesel

Options
  • 29-10-2010 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Looking at 97-03 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 diesels. Not really able to find any info on them. 90bhp? I've heard they aren't great, economically, or as cars (the diesels anyway). Anyone able to tell me anything about them...mpg in particular?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Father had a 98 one. Good spec and still a lovely looking motor imo.

Cant remember mpg or anything but he was pretty happy with it. Only thing was (and pretty common too) the box went but Mitsubishi covered it outside the warranty period. The car is still knocking about the place too 12 years on despite being sold on at 4 years old with over 100k on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Old school diesel engine, cannot imagine it having any more than 90bhp which would have been the norm at the time. As it is an old school pre CR diesel engine it should be pretty reliable assuming it has been cared for over the years. The diesel is rare though and it wasn't even sold in alot of other countries. My only concern here would be trying to source replacement parts for that engine as any sold would be at the very least 8 or 9 years old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

EPM wrote: »
    still a lovely looking motor imo.
    Love the "shark nose" on them.

OP, a lot of the Galants (and there weren't too many) could have been taxis, especially if diesel. Just bear it in mind, altho I'd say any that were taxied must be fit for the scrapper or already scrapped at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

bazz26 wrote: »
    Old school diesel engine, cannot imagine it having any more than 90bhp which would have been the norm at the time. As it is an old school pre CR diesel engine it should be pretty reliable assuming it has been cared for over the years. The diesel is rare though and it wasn't even sold in alot of other countries. My only concern here would be trying to source replacement parts for that engine as any sold would be at the very least 8 or 9 years old at this stage.

The galant TD was a beast I thought and the comprex was a total monster! The TD was a match for the 2.0 VPI camry we had at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

E39MSport wrote: »
    The galant TD was a beast I thought and the comprex was a total monster! The TD was a match for the 2.0 VPI camry we had at the same time.

A beast? Really?

They look good, and I like that era of Mitsubishis, and they seem to be affordable comfort. Looking around now for decent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

My uncle had one and it was a really comfortable car. Lovely comfy seats. A real motorway cruiser. Dont know anything about fuel consumption though. Wonder why they never sold in bigger numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

they're gand yokes, not "fast", but what run of the mill diesel car really is. They've got a very aggresive looking front end, pretty cool i think. there's a nicer sportier fron bumper on the better spec petrol models.
    My father had a diesel and a normal petrol of that shape as well as a vr4. And 3 of the previous models in 1.8 petrol and 2.0td form.
    Any parts for them can be got or ordered, i can't see what this fear of getting parts for a car that was built up to the early 00s is about....

they werent the most common, but they're not THAT rare. People just wanted to buy the cheap and dull as ditchwater avensis and primera instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Wonder why they never sold in bigger numbers?

They were expensive enough at the time really. And the smallest petrol was a 2 litre which didnt help matters...so 1.6 Vectras it was:)

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    they're gand yokes, not "fast", but what run of the mill diesel car really is. They've got a very aggresive looking front end, pretty cool i think. there's a nicer sportier fron bumper on the better spec petrol models.
    My father had a diesel and a normal petrol of that shape as well as a vr4. And 3 of the previous models in 1.8 petrol and 2.0td form.
    Any parts for them can be got or ordered, i can't see what this fear of getting parts for a car that was built up to the early 00s is about....

they werent the most common, but they're not THAT rare. People just wanted to buy the cheap and dull as ditchwater avensis and primera instead

Not too worried about sourcing parts really...I'm fairly used to driving cars that are difficult to get parts for!

Yeah, I'm on the hunt for one now, and if that doesn't work out, I'll get an old Mondeo or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

well then you're fine! Vr4 kit would make it seriously eye catching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

a_v525 wrote: »

saw that...no good to me though, thats a carisma, not a galant. I'm not suicidal yet, but driving that might tip me over the edge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

2.4 Petrol, so no good to you OP, but it would suit me fine!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1609457
    Would only be better if it was black...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

a_v525 wrote: »

You're getting confused between a Galant and a Carisma. Hard to confuse them though :D

Advertisement