Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Joinery Windows

• 24-04-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this for me. We have MJ windows in our house. When we in different rooms of the house the sound through the windows is just unreal, as in it's like we have the windows open, we can hear people closing car doors, talking, walking by etc. The other day I was in the garden and my little boy was inside, he called me and I could hear him clear as day. I actually thought the window was open, when I went to check on him the window was closed tight, and the vents were closed also!
    Is it normal to be able to hear so so clearly through closed windows, or is there something I could check on them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Same thing with my MJ windows. Not very happy with them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Moocow100

Call MJ ask them to check the instalation ,some windows have vents which alow excess sound to enter but this should not be excessive. As I said MJ are generally very good to deal with and offer good after sales servicing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

zsha wrote: »
    We have MJ windows in our house.
    Would be helpful if you stated how long the windows are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

MJ are on holidays at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Hi, thanks for the replies. I moved into this house in early 2006 and it was a brand new house. We rang MJ this morn and their technician should be in contact with us in 48hrs, they are v busy at the minute, I presume because they were on hols etc.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I have Munster Joinery windows in my house and granted they are old now but they were always useless for sound reduction. As the OP says there is very little difference between the windows being opened or closed. <snip>
    I have never had any help from MJ regarding sound, or poor fitting and quality, so I eventually went for secondary glazing to reduce sound and it has done a great job as well as keeping the house lovely and warm. I started with just getting my bedroom window done and wound up getting the whole house done.
    http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/
    This company are excellent and they are half the price of their main rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Ambersky wrote: »
    I have Munster Joinery windows in my house and granted they are old now but they were always useless for sound reduction. As the OP says there is very little difference between the windows being opened or closed. <snip>

I have never had any help from MJ regarding sound, or poor fitting and quality, so I eventually went for secondary glazing to reduce sound and it has done a great job as well as keeping the house lovely and warm. I started with just getting my bedroom window done and wound up getting the whole house done.
    http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/
    This company are excellent and they are half the price of their main rival.

May I ask how much you paid for the secondary glazing?

We have the same problem as the OP.. But the windows are in our council house for the last 12 years or so.. And been like they are since they were installed.

The noise that we can hear from the outside is unreal, and not to mention the drafts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I really cant remember how much I paid for secondary glazing and anyway it depends on the size of the window so we probably wouldnt be comparing like with like.
    Put it this way though I couldnt afford to replace my windows and the secondary glazing worked keeping out sound and wind. It is an economical way to fix a problem if you cant afford to put in new windows. Actually even if I did put in new windows I think I would keep the secondary glazing as well.
    The company I gave the link to have put secondary glazing into several hotels so you may have seen the kind of windows Im talking about before.

Ambersky wrote: »
    I really cant remember how much I paid for secondary glazing and anyway it depends on the size of the window so we probably wouldnt be comparing like with like.
    Put it this way though I couldnt afford to replace my windows and the secondary glazing worked keeping out sound and wind. It is an economical way to fix a problem if you cant afford to put in new windows.
    The company I gave the link to have put secondary glazing into several hotels so you may have seen the kind of windows Im talking about before.

Fair point.

Thank you.

I'll contact them to get prices.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i was hoping to get them to put in a door,
    are their double glazed windows more draught proof than the ones they installed 20 yrs ago, was also hoping to change some windows, dont know yet,
    i did have them install two windows a few yrs ago and was happy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Thanks everybody for the replies. Got mj out, cost 90e to get them out, one of my Windows were a bit foggy all the time,so he said the gas was gone in it and replaced it. The other ones regarding the sound he told me it was the vents letting in the sound and we could change them to diff ones but cost 100e each!!! So I said no to vents, he tightened Windows in both rooms and it has helped a little.
    What's secondary glazing????

Thanks everybody for the replies. Got mj out, cost 90e to get them out, one of my Windows were a bit foggy all the time,so he said the gas was gone in it and replaced it. The other ones regarding the sound he told me it was the vents letting in the sound and we could change them to diff ones but cost 100e each!!! So I said no to vents, he tightened Windows in both rooms and it has helped a little.

http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/why-secondary-glazing/

http://www.365plastics.ie/plastic-sheets/eco-secondary-glazing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

anyone know of anyone who can reseal the windows and doors, I am sure there must be someone who does it less than munster joinery themselves, looking to get all my mj wooden windows and doors resealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

anyone know of anyone who can reseal the windows and doors, I am sure there must be someone who does it less than munster joinery themselves, looking to get all my mj wooden windows and doors resealed.
    Send me a pm I should be Able to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Exactly my experience with Munster Joinery windows. So badly fitted that they may as well be open in terms of noise. I can actually feel a slight breeze if I stand by the closed windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

We got wooden double glazed Sash windows from them in 2010 for our Victorian Renovation. 9 Stand alone Windows, Up/Down Bays (6), Hall Door, Side French Doors, Rear French Doors.

We weren't happy with the sound ingress from most of them from the beginning, but thought that this was just something one had to accept with Sash windows. We had a lot of other stress and worries, financial and health wise around this time and we didn't do much investigation and just accepted it.

In about 2013 I remember a particularly stormy night where I could hear whistling from the Hall Door. This was new. Upon investigation there was a significant draught top left on the opposite side to the hinges. Next morning I examined the door and concluded it was warped in that corner and could actually see daylight from the door jamb in that area. I bought some rubber gasket seal and fit it to the door frame in that area. Upon closing the door the light was gone, the draught was gone and to my surprise, the traffic noise I thought was normal was very attenuated/decreased. It was then I understood how the tiniest gap could let a surprising amount of noise in.

I surveyed the rest of the windows and doors. Both pairs of French Doors actually did a good job of keeping out sound. None of the windows did, except for two in the kitchen. I hadn't noticed this before then because the french doors in the adjoining dining room that is always open to the kitchen were invariably open because of the dogs, so there was nearly always outside sound getting into the kitchen for that reason anyway.

In the following couple of years I developed a theory after examining the problem windows again. The builders had fit them who were since kaput and thus knew I had no comeback against MJ who would no doubt blame the builder. The openings weren't square anymore given this was a 150 year old house but they didn't shim the frames well enough when installing the windows. The frames were out of square with the panels. I could see how when closed the top and the bottom of the top and bottom sash panels closed tight to the frames on one side but not the other, with the gap opening to 5mm on one side. I assumed where the sashes mate would be the same. So gaps bottom middle and top. No major draughts or slivers of light because of ancillary seals in the frame, but not sealed tight either. I figured at some time I'd confirm my theory once and for all and come up with a solution to solve it. Health worries and stress put it on the long finger again though.

Just this week something happened to click in my foggy brain. I was sitting in the kitchen talking, the TV happened to be off for once and the French doors in the adjoining dining room happened to be closed all the while a large lorry happened to be maneuvering right outside. I could barely hear a thing. Which highlighted and reminded me that actually noise wasn't something I had to accept with sashes because these particular two in the kitchen actually did a great job. For a moment the brain fog cleared and I had a moment of inspiration. If these two windows happen to appear to seal well top and bottom it would confirm that the out of squareness of all the others was definitely the problem and would also show that once I did something to improve the seals in those other windows the improvement in noise ingress would actually be dramatic and well worth the effort and any expense. For the first time in 6 years, dumbo here had the cop on to closely examine these great performing kitchen windows for comparison.

Sure enough, PERFECT close tight fitting sealing top and bottom. These particular frames not out of square. So now I know exactly where the problem lies with all the other windows and what I need to fix. I know the improvements to noise ingress will be fairly dramatic. I just need to work out the 'How' now.

......and No. I'd never get MJ windows again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have had munster joinery install a couple doors and windows in the past few years, and i find their work good, without draughts, but there are also new sealing options available now that were not there 20 plus yrs ago when they installed my first windows, which do have a bit of draught coming through, that was on a new build then, and i guess with drying and shrinkage with new build i can see where the problem can occur, but as with the installations they have done for me in past five years, they are brilliant,
    only problem is the wait for someone to come and measure, wish that were rectified, but overall they are great to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Well first off MJ windows are usually the cheapest option and if you spend cheap expect cheap quality.

Secondly their fitters can be poor. I built an extension last year and after fitting the corner window in the extension the fitters told me they had to fit the window off plumb and off square to suit the underlying concrete sill which was itself off square.

I had block-laid the extension and fitted the concrete sill myself and as I'm quite particular with my work I knew it the sill was true, plumb and square to the millimetre.
    I didn't even question them. I just nodded and smiled. Once they had their tools gathered and were back on their way to Kerry or wherever I pulled out the fixings and trued up the window. Literally five minutes and I had it sitting dead on.
    I've seen their fitters operated for decades; a bunch of farmers rushing back home to do the herding.

I used MJ on that job because: there was a tight time frame to complete the job and they can certainly get windows manufactured quickly; I can fit windows/ refit windows myself; the windows did not have any opening thus MJ's more affordable construction wasn't such an issue.
    To be fair to them they are good to deal with on the pricing and scheduling side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Does MJ have an install guide, or recommended install procedures for their Heritage Sash windows? Anyone know if it's available anywhere?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stigura

Lukejr; I'd give MJ a ring :)

Meanwhile; Surprising thread! I had MJ fit every window and door in this ~ what was then a basic shell of a ~ cottage, about half a dozen years or so back.

Can't fault them! As I often point out to people: With my eighteen inch thick walls and tinned over thatch? The only way I know there's a hurricane going on is to open a door.

Looks like they've improved their services so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this for me. We have MJ windows in our house. When we in different rooms of the house the sound through the windows is just unreal, as in it's like we have the windows open, we can hear people closing car doors, talking, walking by etc. The other day I was in the garden and my little boy was inside, he called me and I could hear him clear as day. I actually thought the window was open, when I went to check on him the window was closed tight, and the vents were closed also!
    Is it normal to be able to hear so so clearly through closed windows, or is there something I could check on them?

I got MJ hardwood windows and doors and the quality is shockingly bad. Good enough timber work but the ironmongery is crap (hinges break, handles come loose)

Similar prob to yours. The window sash was too big and heavy for the hinge mechanism they used. It simply sagged down on the handle side. They fit a small piece of ramped plastic on the bottom of the frame (handle side) to hoick the sash up on closing - but it doesn't work

And so, the top of the sash drops below the frame seal its meant to close against (top at handle side. And noise/draught pours in.

I ran a strip of self adhesive foam draughtstrip across the top of the sash, letting it overhang the sash by 1mm. It fills the gap created by the drooping sash and contacts the windows own draught seal. Its invisible and has lasted years.

There's a good flat surface on the top of the sash to place the self adhesive strip. Just clean it off first ( MJ grease things up, up there) but don't scour the surface - the smooth paint is a great base for the strip to stick to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

I got MJ hardwood windows and doors and the quality is shockingly bad. Good enough timber work but the ironmongery is crap (hinges break, handles come loose)

Similar prob to yours. The window sash was too big and heavy for the hinge mechanism they used. It simply sagged down on the handle side. They fit a small piece of ramped plastic on the bottom of the frame (handle side) to hoick the sash up on closing - but it doesn't work

And so, the top of the sash drops below the frame seal its meant to close against (top at handle side. And noise/draught pours in.

I ran a strip of self adhesive foam draughtstrip across the top of the sash, letting it overhang the sash by 1mm. It fills the gap created by the drooping sash and contacts the windows own draught seal. Its invisible and has lasted years.

There's a good flat surface on the top of the sash to place the self adhesive strip. Just clean it off first ( MJ grease things up, up there) but don't scour the surface - the smooth paint is a great base for the strip to stick to.
    it sounds like your glass needs to be toe&healed better.youtube it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Therre is a place in a v small coutryard of industrial units down beside the bicycle shopin swords that does re-sealin g of windows - havnt used them personally (yet) but did some research on windows a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

90 euro to inspect problems with the windows they fitted? One was defective and the others were improperly installed? How long ago did they install them? They should have done it for free if it was recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They have Cork, Limerick and Dublin branches. Might be good to know if the people who got bad installations from them all used the same one?

Advertisement