Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advertising junk through the letterbox.

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the amount of advertising junk coming through their letter boxes recently?

There was always a certain amount of it, but recently it is getting out of all order.

It's a daily chore just to keep my hallway clear and this morning brought the usual relentless stream of unsolicited rubbish adding to my recyclable bin contents.

Today it was the almost daily “third World” clothes scam label around 9am, followed an hour later by the Piz*a H*t leaflet, advertising their high-salt
    junk-food, and followed an hour later by the “Scorching Summer Offers” brochure from E*pert I*eland.com.

Yesterday it was the turn of H**v*y N***an with their almost weekly assault on my hallway and then shortly followed by the “Summer Sizzlers” runner from Sou*dst*re. There are many other ones I can’t even recall.

Su*erQu**n are another repeat offender with almost weekly unloading through my letterbox.

Now I know times are tough and promotion is the name of the game with all those businesses but is it really fair that they should ‘spam’ private houses with their printed matter? Online spammers are regarded with the derision they deserve and these companies who are incessantly pushing their litter through people’s letterboxes who are contributing in a significant way to the cost of collecting recyclable household waste in their quest for our money, are little better in their practises.

It’s high time some legislation or control of this imposition on urban dwellers is introduced. The authorities are quick to point out other environmental issues and some control of all this distribution of paper rubbish is well overdue.

There......I feel better now! Rant concluded. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

OK I'll give it a shot:

1. Pizza Hut
    2. Expert Ireland
    3. Harvey Norman
    4. Soundstore
    5. Superquinn

Do I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought it was join the dots!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Woodies are one of the culprits aswell I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I thought it was join the dots!?

No, it's not 'join the dots'.... it's just that on priciple I wouldn't give any of that
    shower the benefit of a free mention of their names here......that would be

giving them free advertising, wouldn't it?

Now if they'd shove off and take all their paper litter with them, they would be doing householders and the environment a big favour.

God, I'll have to watch my blood-pressure! They really rile me.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I have to agree with you, the amount of rubbish that is cuming thru the front door everyday is ridiculous. I'm sick of having to pick it up.

We did have a thing for collecting the post etc behind our letterbox but someone putting in a paper/leaflet manager to break it off cos they forced the stuff in the letterbox.

Is there anyway to stop them dropping stuff in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sky magazine is another one. When you open the protective plastic all sorts of other junk falls out of it. Straight into the recycle bin with the lot.

Also get dozens of take-away menues. FFS, I live miles for the city and I'm still getting menues for KFC through my letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

quote from bazz26
    Sky magazine is another one. When you open the protective plastic all sorts of other junk falls out of it. Straight into the recycle bin with the lot.

As a former customer of the great Chorus company, I was receiving endless
    propaganda and offers from them, both as regular mail and as runners.

I finally phoned them and politely asked them to take my name off their mailing list. They told me I'd have to put my request in writing before they could remove my name.

I saved a load of their runners and letters for a few months and put them in a large brown envelope and posted it to their Dublin address without any stamp. I also included an explanatory letter. Thankfully that was the end of their annoying promotions.

I may write to a few more of these intrusive companies, returning their unrequested property to them...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Damn OK I'm hooked I get to rant! Oh Limerick Boards how I missed you! :eek: ;)

I get leaflets for the local store in castletroy only I dont live in Castletroy.

I collect the clothing stickers and one day will amass a huge amount of them.

Sky magazine gets my address torn off and straight to recycle bin.

Limerick Leader/Chronicle why are ya putting the OLD paper that's a day or two old in my letterbox!!! If yer that generous give me the Current issue!
    Its Kitty Litter Tray liner to me.

go harvey go.......yes go away...go fup off!!

Priests with yer little envelopes with the handy tear away strip on the side
    so ye can open it easy after its been licked and sealed! GO AWAY!
    easter dues, mass dues, Dues???? Do I owe the Catholic Church money or something ?

I've also given up on answering the door unless I'm expecting someone or I can see its a neighbor calling in. Dont want Plastic coating on my Drive Way, Dont care what kinda magical properties it has!
    Dont want my windows cleaned or my gutters done for 150 Euros! and I dont want to become a Mormon.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

tippman1 wrote: »
    I saved a load of their runners and letters for a few months and put them in a large brown envelope and posted it to their Dublin address without any stamp.

If they are free post envelopes I wonder if you sent them back empty
    will they have to pay for the cost of posting ?

Or if ya add a little weight to the envelope (like some lead) will they have
    to pay extra :D Mmmmm maybe I could fill those freepost envelopes with Clothing stickers!
    ~B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its calmed down a lot in Westbury, there used to be 4-5 EVERY morning when i woke. Only getting 2-3 a week nowadays.
    I was sitting on the couch one night and heard someone going for the door handle after they put something through the letterbox so id just tell people to be wary and always remember to lock your doors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement