Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Build an Underground Shelter

• 28-11-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Ireland is home to many neolithic tombs and mounds so it is quite resonating to see a man of Irish descent continuing a very Irish legacy. Here is the story:

nlRmOjm.jpg

Mike, the owner, dug out the underground shelter / bunker from 1995 to 1997 by hand with no mechanized equipment to help him. This was at 10,000 feet elevation with short summer seasons. The most expensive consideration was buying concrete (about 100 bags of 80 lb concrete) to the total of $1000 - $1500.

Unfortunately there are no pictures (that I am aware of) of the 1995-97 digging as this was before digital cameras and the builder was on his own with no-one to take pictures. (I don't think he began taking pictures until 1999-2000?). The above is of a new project (underground cabin build).

Here's the video of the bunker build in the meantime. :)

The plan (not followed to the letter, but you'll get the picture) :)

uqD9Vpy.jpg

Images...

Blast Doors:

These are steel and reinforced with concrete in the event of a big TEOTWAKI.

YPR0H9L.jpg

Roof Cross-section (sort-of):

Three layers of logs, 6 layers of waterproof sheeting, concrete and dirt

aUMdojz.jpg

Bunk-beds and Ladder for accessing Emergency Hatch

7Ns0yE2.jpg

Emergency Hatch

sS1tuae.jpg

Landscaping and drainage ongoing:

qu2oEZR.jpg

Gun Port

Uqy8skp.jpg

Stores and Tools

rg5AE0a.jpg

2s2tLJx.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Covert Exhaust system for Stove (tree stump faces road):

om0zI59.jpg

Roof goes into the Mountain! Maybe one day they'll be another tunnel going to the Cabin Build (that's another story though )

lBFtpRy.jpg

The design and plans shown in the vid are of a small pole shelter triple-clad with roof logs and sheeting (waterproof).

This allows the weight of concrete and earth on top for the overhead. For the walls logs and steel 'H' Beams along with more sheeting (waterproof) then earth.

The internal space resembles an 'L' shape as recommended for fallout / blast shelters. This is small but incredibly strong and resistant to cave-ins, earthquakes, disasters. The shelter is multi-functional with two bunks and two stoves providing heat.

A main entrance with a steel blast door and an emergency exit / trapdoor are installed.

The year round temperature is about 35 - 45 degrees without being heated. The bunker has been featured on multiple social-sites and Mike is often contacted by television companies for it to be shown on mainstream broadcasts. The Colony short-listed him for appearing on the show but ultimately another was chosen.

However when the challenging conditions are revealed to TV companies (short accessible seasons, snow fall requiring snow-mobiles etc) the producers normally go for an easy access bunker elsewhere and underground shelters that are more fancy.

This is doable by any able-bodied male (or female if driven enough) with the right location.

The location inspired a fictional film which was shot at Mike's Bunker called After The Fall / Raiders of the Mountain Hold:

I'd have many more pictures to show you BUT the retarded hosting site has crashed / won't let me upload any more pictures.

If you have any questions, please ask and I'll try and get a bit more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Our neolithic ancestors worked out that the strongest and most durable material for chamber construction (prior to covering with earth mound) was stone.Looking at the pictures of Mikes bunker, it appears that he is making stones out of 'gone off' bags of cement. This is a pic of one in Scotland....5000 years old, and still standing-
    Attachment not found.
    .....now I wouldnt mind living in that one if it had a limecrete floor and a decent stove put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think the Irish legacy is one of mental health issues tbh.

Think this thread is better suited to the Survivalism or CT Forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Calibos wrote: »
    I think the Irish legacy is one of mental health issues tbh.

Think this thread is better suited to the Survivalism or CT Forums.

LOL. Don't put yourself down now. :)

The gone-off concrete was used for the outside landscaping but for the roof and walls it was ordinary concrete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement