Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Input needed as to if this is an issue with floor installation

Options
  • 27-11-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I had a professional install a laminate floor (quick step). I've noticed that when I step near the edge of the floor that a gap appears between the floor and the skirting. I asked if this was normal and he said yes, because it's a floating floor but that doesn't seem right to me. A gap also appears when there is furniture placed against the wall.

I should note that at the end of the job I noticed that the floor want completely level. About and inch around the edges of the floor were a few millimeters lower. I think what happened is that when it was originally built they installed skirting and then put down a self leveling rubber type substance. So when the skirting was removed, there was a gap there between the wall and the rubber on the floor.

I'm new so I couldn't attach photos but if you type "gap in floor nova19" you will see a video of it. I need to know if this is an issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

https://youtu.be/n5J83DME_tI Skirting off and push it tight down to the floor its the underlay under neath compressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

IMHO skirting should have been removed before installation allowing a gap between the flooring and the wall.. Not sure what you can do now as, I imagine, flooring will have been cut to sit flush against skirting.
    I will be interested to read other opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Was the skirting installed at time of the floor being installed?
    If so, he could have maybe got it in a bit tighter...

However if there's a bow in the floor this is unavoidable without putting a bow in the skirting also. does the gap appear all the way along the length of the skirting.... if it doesnt appear at either end there's a bow in the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Sub floor was never levelled
    Usually an extra client should of been informed before floor was laid
    What could be done is skirtings could come off and scribed to the contour of the floor but this leaves the floor uneven if it's really bad

Advertisement