Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best tool for the job?

• 27-11-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

We plan to remove a section of solid oak wood (floating) flooring to sink our hearth to be flush with the floor.

We were looking at a small handheld circular saw such as the one here but is there a better tool we could use?

We want a clean, neat cut that won't splinter the wood and can't afford to get this wrong as we don't have any spare flooring to replace any mistakes.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Are you able to remove a plank of flooring to work with on a bench, or do you have to cut it in place?

A similar, but smaller, suggestion might be something like this: http://www.buyrotorazer.com/faq.html (available in Wooooooooodies.)

Whatever you use, make sure it's sharp. Bear in mind, you might be able to hide any unsightly splintery bits if it comes to it, using a section of scotia moulding or something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If you were cutting it in situ Op I'd say that saw with a fine blade in it would do the job.Is there any give underneath just to wedge the working piece quarter or half inch of the ground whilst being cut?

I cut something similar (at least tried to) with a reciprocating saw recently didn't work out at all well, ended up using a skill saw (forget the tpi of the blade but it was a fine one).

Like the look of that saw Prenderb posted, New to me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭basillarkin

If cutting in place, screw a 2x1 on the inside of the section of floor that is been discarded. Set the depth of the circular saw to the thickness of floor and run it along the 2x1. note that you will need to use a multicutter with right blade or a the tool mentioned above to finish the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

If cutting in place, screw a 2x1 on the inside of the section of floor that is been discarded. Set the depth of the circular saw to the thickness of floor and run it along the 2x1. note that you will need to use a multicutter with right blade or a the tool mentioned above to finish the cut.

As above the 2x1 is the way to go
    With that saw you posted you might have to make 2 maybe 3 passes with it @ 400w it'd die cutting 20mm oak in one pass and splinter the oak after about 6 inches "go light and go many"
    That way it'll be easier to keep pressure against the 2x1 and the saw in a straight line
    Out of curio & to throw a spanner in the works :-) with a solid oak floor what's the plan for floor expansion around the hearth
    Is the house a recent build
    The reason I ask is if it's not maybe during mid spring would be the right time to do it as the heating wouldn't be on so the floor will of expanded back to its original moisture content. Maybe I'm just nitpicking but I've seen solid floors do some quare stuff with expansion and contraction.

Advertisement