Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review our website

Options
  • 25-07-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi Guys,

My wife is a wedding planner and we recently updated her website. It has been redeveloped using a wordpress theme with her own colours. I have helped her with the design and inspiration etc but it would be great to get some feedback from you season professionals as we are no web designers. The website is theweddingexpert.ie

James

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can I ask why you chose one of the generic mega-themes rather than picking something wedding specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

Hiya Graham, we chose one of the mega themes because it offered us more choice in terms of look and flexability. We felt we could make it more personalised to us and my wife preferred the look of this to any of the wedding ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pamello

Hi James,

Is your question about design only? I am asking because i find the pages are not really optimized for search engines (eg title tags, keyword-rich content, etc.). i am not familiar with your specific industry and maybe you don't need to rank high in search because you guys are already popular through other channels such as word of mouth, etc. if that's not the case, i would definitely invest in SEO as this could bring a relevant % of potential customers to the site

regarding design itself, the website looks nice and the colour scheme seems relevant to the specific services offered. Having said that, i find the text content difficult to read (eg contrast between white background and grey text) and some of the pages seem a bit cluttered with content. this is obviously a personal opinion but i generally think that less is more :)

I hope it helps!

Pasquale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dump the slider on the homepage, it does almost nothing and it occupies the most valuable website real estate where your most important messages should be.

+1 on the readability, avoid poor contrast text/background combinations and not just for the text.

Try to make the text columns thinner for readability.

You have no postal address listed, this important for trust and also for location oriented SEO, especially when integrated better with the likes a map and Google Places and Google+. No postal address is a show stopper for me. I'd also like some CRO info.

Make your email addresses into mailto links.

Get a proper Privacy Policy and link to it properly.

Why not just call the Love Letters page Feedback, Testimonials or Success Stories as users are familiar with these terms.

One of the most important items for making a purchase decision is price. While you probably don't want prices set in stone, some sort of price indication such as a typical range is very helpful to prospective customers.

There could be more done for SEO. Better meta descriptions tailored for each page. Remove the meta keywords tags altogether. Yes dump them all. They are ignored by search engines as they have been long abused for keyword spamming which is exactly what has been done on your pages/site. Only the Bing search engine pays any attention to them and only to mark you down for keyword spamming. They have zero positive value. You also appear to be using 2 SEO plugins which probably isn't a good idea.

The execution of the Inspiration Gallery or Wedding Planning Tips is confusing for users. Which is it? Tips or a Gallery. Looks like a Gallery so just call it that and explain each sub gallery better. Also some of the photos aren't up to scratch: out of focus, off horizontal, need better post processing...

Press Clippings doesn't have any actual clippings just a list of publications.

There are bad spelling mistakes on many pages. Recheck all pages for spelling (UK not US), grammar, vocabulary, capitalisation and punctuation. Even better to get some one else to double check. This especially important as your sphere requires tip top attention to detail.

Use the first person 'I' less.

Provide more internal links where they make sense.

hth/gl

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

Thank you for your valuable feedback. It is much appreciated and will start to make the changes. We have SEO by Yeost. I'm not sure where the other SEO is. We are looking into professionals for SEO. Any more feedback is definitely helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

My comment is about the domain name, I understand the obvious planner names are gone. I would have went with an abbreviation though. I can't see too many searching for experts in that field.

http://weddingplans.ie is available, its never too late to change or get that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

don't use keywords as Google does not use them anymore

i used the similar theme for a website i recently designed for a client too. robinarcher . ie

notice the gradient near the slider image it gives the slider and content more depth. Also the menu bar is noticeable on the site but its a bit lost on ye're site.

look into getting a favicon also

niallweb1 wrote: »
    don't use keywords as Google does not use them anymore

Absolute bull... and your reply followup domain name doesn't even show up under 't-shirt printing'. The obvious ones do of course with a keyword domain name.

Either way... the best advise here is to always use or have a keyword domain name if available... even if its just to redirect to abc(dot)something.

• Advertisement

myIdea wrote: »
    Absolute bull... and your reply followup domain name doesn't even show up under 't-shirt printing'. The obvious ones do of course with a keyword domain name.

Either way... the best advise here is to always use or have a keyword domain name if available... even if its just to redirect to abc(dot)something.

t-shirt printing limerick which is what my client wanted as he only deals with Limerick as he's shop is in limerick. It always about the client lad.

and google does not use the meta keywords in search ranking look it up.

niallweb1 wrote: »

and google does not use the meta keywords in search ranking look it up.
    That has nothing to do with keyword domain names.

Take a look at any google search result... they even highlight keywords on domain names.

Anyway telling someone, not to use a keyword domain name is just wrong, period.

I didn't mean that i meant meta name keywords?????

Advertisement