Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA & weekend work

• 14-09-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm in the running for a weekend job at the moment and am wondering how it will affect my JSA if I am successful. I've recently become unemployed and my claim was only awarded today. I know the payment would reduce by 1/6 for the Saturday as Sunday isn't counted as a day of work but I can't for the life of me work out the means test part!

If I follow the daily means formula I get 29.52 for the Saturday and likewise for the Sunday. I think the Sunday is included in the weekly means assessment and then the total is subtracted so that would be weekly payment minus 1/6 and then minus 59.04? If anyone could clarify the process I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

catonkey wrote: »
    I'm in the running for a weekend job at the moment and am wondering how it will affect my JSA if I am successful. I've recently become unemployed and my claim was only awarded today. I know the payment would reduce by 1/6 for the Saturday as Sunday isn't counted as a day of work but I can't for the life of me work out the means test part!

If I follow the daily means formula I get 29.52 for the Saturday and likewise for the Sunday. I think the Sunday is included in the weekly means assessment and then the total is subtracted so that would be weekly payment minus 1/6 and then minus 59.04? If anyone could clarify the process I'd really appreciate it!

Your means from employment on sat and sunday will be assessed. Its just not a case of saying what are getting now will be reduced by 1/6 e.g. if you are currently receiving €188 pw then any means from employment will be calculated against this and you will have a new daily means. And for each day you work excluding Sunday this amount will be deducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catonkey

Thanks for the reply. From googling I assumed you automatically lost 1/6 of your payment if you worked 1 day and then you were means tested on the earnings from the job. So I attempted the formula on the citizensinformation website and got 29.52 as my daily means and when it's multiplied by two to include Sunday it gives me a weekly means of 59.04. As I'm currently on 188.00 a week my revised allowance going on that info could be either:

188.00 - 59.04 [leaving 128.96] or
    188.00 - 59.04 - 31.33 (1/6 of weekly payment) [leaving 97.63]

Is the only way to get a definite answer on the amount I'd come out with to approach DSFA? The way I've calculated it per the citizens information website means that when I add the cost of travel to and from the job I'd come out with less than my JSA payment and that's something I can't afford to do :(

Thanks for the reply. Is the only way to get a definite answer on the amount I'd come out with to approach DSFA? The way I've calculated it per the citizens information website means that when I add the cost of travel to and from the job I'd come out with less than my JSA payment and that's something I can't afford to do :(

Well if you are taking up part time work they will need payslips and form filled out by your employer. Do you actually know what you will be paid by employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catonkey

It's 8 hours per day at minimum wage so c. 138 euro per weekend gross. I'm trying to ascertain whether I can afford to take the job if it's offered over the next few days.

Thanks for the reply. From googling I assumed you automatically lost 1/6 of your payment if you worked 1 day and then you were means tested on the earnings from the job. So I attempted the formula on the citizensinformation website and got 29.52 as my daily means and when it's multiplied by two to include Sunday it gives me a weekly means of 59.04. As I'm currently on 188.00 a week my revised allowance going on that info could be either:

188.00 - 59.04 [leaving 128.96] or
    188.00 - 59.04 - 31.33 (1/6 of weekly payment) [leaving 97.63]

Is the only way to get a definite answer on the amount I'd come out with to approach DSFA? The way I've calculated it per the citizens information website means that when I add the cost of travel to and from the job I'd come out with less than my JSA payment and that's something I can't afford to do :(

okay you did the calculation and your daily means are 29.52 that means that when you work on saturday 29.52 will be deducted from €188 and you will have earnings from employment as well... you have to be better of employed and might get more days and hours

• Advertisement
Advertisement