Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens when homeless?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I have a family member that is currently going through a break up, I would like to find out what happens when they are made to leave the home and will be basically homeless.

This family member is in their 60's and works on and off on contract work, between which they receive JSA otherwise they have been completely financially dependent on their partner. They have no savings and would not have the money for rent deposit.

We may be able to put them up for a couple of days only so I just want to know what actually happens at the point of homelessness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You go to the community welfare officer
    They deal with exceptional cases

If not done already you see about applying for rent allowance and put your name on the housing list.
    But for a single man, well it's years you'd be waiting for something from the council

Rent allowance for a room in a house share or for a bedsit I see as the next step

Does he own the house. Why does the partner get the house and he is forced to leave?
    Why doesn't she leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks for the qiuck reply.

I didn't think it mattered but its actually a woman.

I was aware of the rent allowance but I was under the impression that this can take some time. What actually happens in the interim? And when they have no actual address can they still recive JSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is emergency accomadation.
    Different options like hostels and B n' B, it depends what is in your area.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/losing_your_home/housing_options_for_homeless_people.html

But get to the CWO and get cracking on the rent allowance application, yes it takes time
    Before beginning to look for private rented accommodation you should:

Check with your local Community Welfare Officer (CWO) or (in Dublin) the Homeless Person’s Unit (1800 724 724) that you are entitled to rent supplement
    Ensure that you are registered for housing or on the homeless list with your local authority
    Ensure that you have your rent supplement form (available from any health centre) stamped by your local authority.
    Once you have found suitable accommodation and your rent supplement form has been stamped by your landlord, your CWO will assess the accommodation and let you know if it is acceptable to them.

I do not know how you claim JSA without an address.
    But you're not the first to ask this question so I would call Citizens Information
    By Phone: By phoning the Citizens Information Phone Service. Lo Call 1890 777 121 or +353 21 452 1600
    It's a very straightforward question and they'll tell you. You do not have to identify the person or give specific details
    Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I didn't think it mattered but its actually a woman.

I shouldn't have assumed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you are threatened with homelessness, that is, if you think you may lose your home soon for whatever reason, you should immediately contact your local authority and, if necessary, get advice about your situation from your nearest Citizens Information Centre or Threshold.
    Information on accommodation available to homeless people is available from your local authority and the HSE. (Ask to speak to a 'Housing Welfare Officer'). In Dublin, the Dublin Region Homeless Executive is responsible for the co-ordination of services for homeless people. They have produced an online help to find services for homeless people in Dublin.
    Voluntary organisations such as St. Vincent de Paul, the Simon Community, Focus Ireland, The Salvation Army and the Iveagh Trust may also be of assistance but this depends on your location in Ireland
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/losing_your_home/housing_options_for_homeless_people.html

SVP Services to People Out of Home
    The Society of St Vincent De Paul is the largest provider of emergency and short-term accommodation and services to people out of home in Ireland and is one of the largest homeless service providers in Europe. In addition to providing over 350 units of emergency accommodation across 14 separate locations throughout Ireland, the Society provides tenancy sustainment, resettlement, support and day care services in various locations. SVP services to people out of home are characterized by Flexibility, Commitment and Professional Holistic Support.

http://www.svp.ie/about-us/what-we-do/hostels.aspx?gclid=CPaQjsXVnKsCFYJN3godT1JYtg

Thanks a million, Just one more question...

She is not homeless yet put I feel it will happen in the next couple of weeks, She is not really dealing with this possibility which is why I'm trying to find the info so she doesn't have to think much about it. Do you think she could put herself down for rent allownce now while is still living in that house. I think that personally now the best case would be for her to leave before being pushed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Doubt it as even though they are technically split, both would be assessed together. Presumably the house is either owned by them jointly or a council house to which they are paying rent (or shared ownership/affordable housing payments). As it is not a registered private rental accommodation, she wouldn;t get rent supplement for that address.

Read Here For More

No sorry I didn't mean rent for that address (her partner owns it outright).

I mean could she start the ball rolling on rent allownce for somewhere else to live even though she is living there. I mean that so as not to be homeless when told to leave that house.

Advertisement