Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-neutering advice needed

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Silly question really but Im getting my male GSD neutered tomorrow. I live about 3/4 of a mile away from the vet and dont own a car so Im wondering will he be ok to walk home with me?

I know u cant do this with females from previous experience but Im hoping because neutering is a less invasive operation, he will be ok. Advice/experience/stories all greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

They're not really supposed to get much exercise after neutering for about three-five days, our guy wasn't even up for much after his because he was sore. To be honest, i wouldn't be walking him that far after just having an operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We got our GSD neutered 2 weeks ago and he was really tired and sore for around 48 hours and he also spent the first 12 hours puking, so I wouldnt walk him home.

Could a friend/parent/neighbour give you a lift or a taxi might be willing to do it if you explain the circumstance(just remember to bring a towel/covering in case he pukes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy was restricted to 30 min walks until the stitches came out. Maybe ask the vets about leaving him there over night? The first night they're zonked out anyways from the anesthetic so he'd be sleeping it off - I'd say he'd be more up to the walk the following morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I would try to get a lift if I was you. my male dogs btoh felt very very sorry for themselves after and would not have been happy to not be chauferred home;)
    Is this you new long haired one with no name?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Narsil wrote: »
    We got our GSD neutered 2 weeks ago and he was really tired and sore for around 48 hours and he also spent the first 12 hours puking, so I wouldnt walk him home.

Could a friend/parent/neighbour give you a lift or a taxi might be willing to do it if you explain the circumstance(just remember to bring a towel/covering in case he pukes;)

Ah yeah Im sure I could get someone to give me a lift.
    tk123 wrote: »
    My guy was restricted to 30 min walks until the stitches came out. Maybe ask the vets about leaving him there over night? The first night they're zonked out anyways from the anesthetic so he'd be sleeping it off - I'd say he'd be more up to the walk the following morning?

Thats not a bad idea actually. Must check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

ppink wrote: »
    I would try to get a lift if I was you. my male dogs btoh felt very very sorry for themselves after and would not have been happy to not be chauferred home;)
    Is this you new long haired one with no name?:p

Thats the one, still working on the name. Hes driving me up the wall at the minute so it might be a while!

Advertisement