Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Building a dog pen/run

Options
  • 27-07-2011 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys!

As some of you might know, i have two JRT, up until now they have been kept in an enclosed fenced in garden.

Circumstances have changed (mainly due to our neighbours redoing their garden) that means we have to get them a dog run. Now money isn't flush right now and me and the OH thought we could make a go of building one ourselves.

So any ideas of how we would do this?? We were thinking about buying mesh or chain link rolls with some timber and making one up.. Anyone in any experience in this? We don't own the house, if we did we would invest in putting up a new fence but seeing as we will only be there for another year it seems unlikely!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Honestly id ask the DIY forum, they'd be really professional and advise for a chepa but efficient one.

Nonetheless hopefully few here have been handy with their tools for their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

built 2 big dog houses out of sheets of marine ply, 2x4 and felt then got a load of good condition pallets (ready made fences) and screwed them together and to a couple of fence posts i banged into the ground. Its has lasted since Christmas keeping in a German shepard and a pointer and is still strong. The fence cost me less than 20 quid which was only for screws! And half a day of labour but was well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

This is our dog run:

IMAG0125.jpg

The garden is paved but there was a concrete path at the end and it made a natural boundary. The fence is timber and chicken wire and the gate is at the end. It's good and secure and didn't cost us that much when compared to a commercial dog run.

Here's a view of the inside:

IMAG0121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardening/2384884

maybe something like this, or if you could get you hands on a couple of those pedesterian bariers they would be good up against a solid wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Thanks very much guys, lucybliss, what i'm looking for would be something like your. I might ask over in the DIY section as hinted to see if i can get something. Unfortunately Rubygirl i'd be looking for it under €100 if possible as money is really really tight at home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Zooplus have one for €119, which might be nearly as cheap as building one:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_racks/231572

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

How big do you want it?
    These ones above are very very small.....2m x 1.5m? (zooplus one)
    Will they eat through the chainlink?

we did build our own with galvanised steel posts, chainlink and then we had to put steel mesh around the end as our small dogs tried to eat out of there. They cost a small fortune but are about 1/4 acre big.

a lot of the cost will depend on the materials you *have* to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi tatabubbly,

I was planning making my own kennel for my dog and I will be using a couple of the fence panels I have linked, not sure if you wanted the run to be open but its a cheap idea anyway! I'll be spending about €100 in total but I will be getting a Kennel the size I want, as my back garden is all stones I will be buying a section of pre made decking for the flooring inside.

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=12944&loc=P&catid=102.25

If you also buy a couple of lats 2x2inches should easily be strong enough with 2 of these panels, it is small enough to step over but your dog shouldnt be able to jump it... If you have the tools available buy a small strip of timber maybe 2x1inch and cut a section out in the cornet re-inforce the cut section with the 2x1inch to keep the panel together.. You would need one thicker corner post possibly 4x4inch attach either end then like what lucybliss has done, sorted :D

If you get what I mean..

I downloaded google sketchup 8 (free) and I was messing around with lots of idea's on that to make my own kennel, run area. Its a graphic design programme but very easy to use

Hope this helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you have a fence or wall that you can built against, obviously it keeps costs down, as you only have to build 2 or 3 sides. Builders fencing is probably pretty cheap now, especially the used stuff, check with hire companies etc, see if they have second hand that they want to get rid of. With that you can expand it bit by bit as well, if you get more money together. I would recommend digging it into the ground to stop the dogs getting under it.

Thanks everyone, i have one fence i can put it up again, which can be used, thinking of using chain link. I'm not sure the dogs would chew through it, i was going to make sure any time they went out they got a big juicy bone/toys/balls ect. I also have bedding to put out so they can spoil themselves. As they won't be out in wind/rain/bad conditions, i'll not be using a kennel, they will only be outside when it's nice and when they have plenty of water!!

Thanks for the advice to put it in the ground, i'd have to as Rebel has a habit if she's very very very excited to dig!

Going to look around at the weekend for materials (cheap) and when i get it finished i shall post costings and finished product!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know they are expensive but what about a small cilldara run with 3 panels. The half height ones are even cheaper. If you are renting having a moveable run might be worth the investment.
    If you are good at diy as said one option could be the builders barriers or even wooden pallets.

The cilldara ones to my knowledge are €65 which for 3 is €195, and seeing as i have 2 men handy that are good at DIY i think maybe the ones made of builders fence would be enough. The €195 is prob a wee bit out of my reach atm unfortunately..

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Thanks very much guys, lucybliss, what i'm looking for would be something like your. I might ask over in the DIY section as hinted to see if i can get something.

While I have many interests, DIY isn't really one of them so I thought a photo would better describe it rather than me confusing everyone with the wrong terminology. A friend did it for us - he was doing some other work in our garden and heard us talking about dog runs and came up with this idea.
    It's a sun trap as well so on a fine day, it's lovely and toasty down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Lucybliss please don't take this the wrong way but there doesn't appear to be any shelter from the rain or sun in your run and this could be dangerous for the dogs even in a very short period as they can overheat really quickly.

Oh no, piperh, you're dead right to mention it. We have a sun umbrella and I put that in the right hand corner (if you're standing at the gate) on the days when it's really fine and it casts a good shade over half the run. They're never in there for too long, usually if we need to have all the doors open (our house doesn't open right onto the garden & we live close to a main road), but yes, overheating is a big concern because these three will run around the garden like loo-lahs on really warm days. If I think it's too warm or they're starting to excessively pant, I bring them indoors. And as for being out in the rain, they're not big fans. Apparently, the couch is a much better place to snooze on a wet day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Ah that makes sense Lucybliss. Glad you weren't offended :D Oh to be able to curl up on the sofa in the rain, mine think its fun to catch the raindrops lol

Advertisement