Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp/Hornet Nest

Options
  • 27-07-2011 2:50pm

There appears to be a wasp or hornet nest inside the bottom door of my composter. There is alot of whatever they are buzzing about and I can see exactly where their entrance/exit is. I would leave them be but it is right at the entrance to the shed and at the moment it's impossible to get into the shed because there are so many of them!

So, what do you suggest I do!?

Is it possible to get rid of them without killing them all or is a poisonous death their only option?!

I was stung by a bumble bee when I was a kid and I wasn't allergic to them so does that mean I'm not allergic to these either? *clueless*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

They generally get quieter at night time, so you could wait until it's dark and then get out there with a light to have a look.
    I don't think a previous sting means there's no chance for you to have an allergic reaction though. And even if you're not allergic, if you get stung a lot (like if you disturb them) you could still be in trouble.
    If it was in my place, I'd wait til night and then get out there with a can of the 'poisonous death' you mentioned, but then I really hate the little bastards! Bumble bees I like... wasps... not so much!

Well if it's a choice between my stingy death and their poisonous death, there is no contest!

Yeh I'm really not a fan, I like bees, never was bothered by them, but wasps frighten me!

So just wasp killer from woodies or something? layers of clothes, a torch and moonlight? sounds too easy! I suppose I'll have to give it a shot, my lovely bike is stuck in the shed and I can't get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

That's what I did- emptied half a can of spray into the nest (it was in the ground) at night and then ran away (nearly tripping over stuff in the dark), waited a while and emptied most of the rest of the can into it. No more wasps :D

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP are you still alive.........:eek:

• Advertisement

I am!

It was raining so I will try again tonight :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

good luck with this wasps are horrible creatures to deal with :mad:

Advertisement