Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2nd Opinion on Dogs illness

Options
  • 22-07-2011 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi There,

My dog has just been diagnosed with some sort of auto immune illness, its lead to a build up of protein on her kidneys, i cannot remember the name of the illness but it began with an A.

Shes a mini schnauzer, only 2 and a half yrs old, she has been very lethargic, falling behind on walks, lost a lot of weight and not eating much at all, she has no appetite. the vet did blood tests to determine what was wrong with her. Its quite serious and he is not certain whether she will make it or not. she got a steroid injection and a vitamin b injection, and i have to give her this powerdy stuff mixed with water 2 times a day, and she can only eat this kd prescription dog food now, i am not to give her any protein at all.

Some readings from the blood test results are very very high...one thing he mentioned has a normal range from 0 - 9...hers is 43, she is way way over. another readying is way over as well, so its not good.

id like to know, can i get a copy of the blood test result from the vet? i want to bring her somewhere else and just get a 2nd opinion to. i was looking at her this morning, she is just so small and frail now, i can feel her spine through her skin she is so thin.

i just want another vet to look at her, i just want to do what is best for her, she is so young and I want to do all i can for her. Can i just ask the vet for a copy of her blood tests results so that i can bring her to another vet and get her looked at again? i dont intend to tell him im getting a 2nd opinion, i do not want to offend him, i just want to do what i can for my little doggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

dillodaffs wrote: »
    My dog has just been diagnosed with some sort of auto immune illness, its lead to a build up of protein on her kidneys, i cannot remember the name of the illness but it began with an A.

OP it sounds like Amyloidosis is it?
    wrote:
    id like to know, can i get a copy of the blood test result from the vet? i want to bring her somewhere else and just get a 2nd opinion to.
    By Law your pets medical records are property of the practice and they have the right not to release them to you without a court order. But, they should not refuse to give them to another vet at all. You are entitled to as many second opinions as you like and your vet is obliged to release any medical info on your pet to them. They are well used to people asking another vets opinion, he/she shouldnt be offended at all.

It sounds like they've put your dog on the right treatment protocol though (steroids-probably Prednisone and a low protein diet). The trick with Amyloidosis is to manage this condition without complete kidney failure resulting, which is very very difficult. This link has some good info on an owner who very thoroughly altered her dogs entire diet and lifestyle to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dillodaffs

thats the name of it alright, Amyloidosis. i dont think its looking good for her, she was sick the other night and it was black vomit. the vet said that it was not a good sign, think it is the lining of her stomach coming away.

i am so so sad :(

It sounds like she has gastritis (stomach inflammation). Has your vet given you any antacid type medication possibly?

This condition isnt curable OP unfortunately just manageable. She's very young and i suppose you have to ask your vet what her quality of life is going to be living with it. You may have to make the decision to put her to sleep soon unfortunately. I put my dog through chemo a few years back and it was kidney failure that she succumbed to in the end.She was given a new lease of life after being on a drip for a few days, but within a week her kidney enzymes started to sky rocket. I actually put her to sleep when she was in good form,before she even got to the "sick" stage again. Its such a hard call to make how far do you let this advance.

How long has she been on the steroids/low protein diet? If only recently it'll take a bit of time to see the positive effects of these just yet.

she only started the treament on Wednesday, so its early days yet. he has not given her any antacid type medicine. unless the powdery stuff is doing that, i dont know.

i do think your right though, we have already decided that if she has no quality of life while managing it that we will do what we have to do.

she only started the treament on Wednesday, so its early days yet..
    Ah ok, yeh its very early days. Give it a few weeks at least and see if she improves. You have to be strict enough with her diet though ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

we have already decided that if she has no quality of life while managing it that we will do what we have to do.

That's really, really sad:(
    Poor dog, and poor you.
    I think Mini Schnauzers have a huge list of inherited diseases and conditions they're prone to, they certainly seem to feature regularly in lists of various diseases and conditions.
    I hope she pulls through OP, what a horrible experience for all concerned.

there has been no improvement with her at all, she has lost even more weight. we are going to bring her to another vet tomorrow evening to have a look at her. I picked her up last night...she is like a little anorexic dog now :( i can feel her spine and her ribs, she has no layer of fat at all on her body.

She only ate 25 of the prescription dog nuts for me yesterday and thats when i hand feed them to her. i did not see her take a drink at all yesterday evening which really worries me.

im also worried that the vet only did a blood test on her and that he did not do a urine analysis, from what i read online this should be done to? im just not happy.

I am destroyed, simply destroyed. we had to put our precious little doggie freddie to sleep. she was to sick and there was no hope for her. i am just gutted. our poor little girl was only two and a half years old.

Rachels Camera Photos 244.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Aww, I'm so sorry, it's a terrible young age to have to make such a decision. I know there's nothing that I can say that will make you feel any better, but in time you'll find some peace in knowing that you did the right thing for her and gave her the best life possible while you had her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I am destroyed, simply destroyed. we had to put our precious little doggie freddie to sleep. she was to sick and there was no hope for her. i am just gutted. our poor little girl was only two and a half years old.

Rachels Camera Photos 244.jpg

I am so, so sorry to read this.
    Poor little Freddie and poor you :-(
    My heart goes out to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

:( terrible news poor Freddie

i am just so so sad. she was only diagnosed last week. it was so hard but we stayed with her, we didnt want her to be afraid and on her own when she went. she was such a beautiful dog, she was so placid, friendly and quiet, we loved her so much.

i just dont know what to do with myself now. im here with her blankie, her little t shirt and her collar.... im just destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

well done for staying with her, it must have been very hard for you.

it is soo hard but you did your best for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I know just how you feel, my 3 year old cat died of a heart condition last March and it just seemed so unfair to lose her that young. But I did find some comfort in thinking about the fact that she didn't suffer for very long before she went, as she collapsed on Friday night and left us on the Sunday evening. It's more of a shock at the time, but I think it would be worse watching her to go through weeks and weeks of suffering in the hope that she might get better and then have to let her go.

Aw im so sad for you dillodaffs :( it really is the most horrendous thing having to put your beloved pet to sleep. I honestly do know how you feel and understand how much it hurts.

Comfort yourself in knowing how much you did for her ok. You honestly did the best you could of done!!!You've lost your best buddy and its a whole world of pain thats hitting you now.

I still miss my little buddy (she was 14) 19mths later, but you will get to the stage that you will smile with fond memories and not cry with grief when you look at her photo..believe me :o;) RIP in Rainbow Bridge Freddie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Rip Freddie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor Freddie :( RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I am really really saddened and sorry to hear about poor Freddie :( it is good though that you were there at the end to say goodbye, it's heartbreaking but at least she's not suffering anymore

Advertisement