Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimodex Mange

Options
  • 05-01-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

A friend of mine has a German Shepard that is 12 years old. Looks good and healthy for his age, but he has dimodex on his paws, nowhere else. Now the treatment is aludex wash and possibly antibiotics.
    I am wondering has any body else dealt with this and what there view on a 12 year old with it.
    She is seeing the vet tomorrow. Its just that I know what it is and she will be looking for my advice on it. Don't want to go to the Internet I would prefer personal experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Has the dog had a skin scrape done?

It's unusual for Demodex only to appear when a dog is 12 as it's passed from the mother and usually shows itself when the immune system is compromised.

The other type of mange is sarcoptic and is reasonably easy to treat and doesn't come back once treated unless the dog is exposed again.

Has the vet confirmed Demodex?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem with skin conditions is that there can be so many causes & many look similar. Neither I nor my Vet suspected Demodex as the cause of my pups scabby nose. It was only when (warning if you are having breakfast) that a little lump became infected & I evacuated the puss & decided to take a look at it under a microscope. I could see Mr Demodex trying to do breastroke !.

I did my own research & found that Advocate flea spot on was effective against Demodex.

http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/4407.0.html

As the product could do no harm & I could see no other real treatment, I gave it a try & it worked. I have since been told by Vets & EGAR that it is not very effective. But seeing as it is just a normal topical flea treatment it could be worth trying as it will not do any harm so there is nothing to lose.

Advertisement