Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oral Sex Issue

• 07-09-2014 6:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This problem has been bothering me for awhile now so any advice is welcome.

My girlfriend smells and tastes fairly pungent down there, sorry if that's crass, I have no other way of putting it.

I have been with other women before my girlfriend so I know everyone will be different but this isn't even that. It's not a hygiene issue either. Last night it was so bad I gagged! She didn't see that though, thankfully.

It's quite a sensitive issue and I have no idea how to approach her about it without causing embarrassment or giving her a complex. Does anyone know what I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭RZoran

You can tell her, let her feel temporarily embarrassed, and let her sort it out. Obviously try to do it without seeming judgmental but really what is the other option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

It's a sensitive issue alright - have you tried suggesting a shower together? You could take the lead then in washing her down there under the guise of stimulation - afterwards you could make a big fuss about how much you enjoy going down on her, she might subconsciously put two and two together then!

I know some women subscribe to the train of thought that washing down there with normal shower gel upsets the natural ph balance - this is nonsense obviously but your girlfriend may be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It's a sensitive issue alright - have you tried suggesting a shower together? You could take the lead then in washing her down there under the guise of stimulation - afterwards you could make a big fuss about how much you enjoy going down on her, she might subconsciously put two and two together then!

I know some women subscribe to the train of thought that washing down there with normal shower gel upsets the natural ph balance - this is nonsense obviously but your girlfriend may be one of them.

wtf, it's not nonsense. I would never use regular shower gel there, and tbh wouldn't even use the ones made for it, as they would still upset things.

OP your girlfriend may have an issue that needs to be treated by a doctor or it may be that she isn't washing properly. Either way your first move has to be to talk to her. Be gentle about it, reassure her that you love doing it and want to be able to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Gongoozler wrote: »
    wtf, it's not nonsense. I would never use regular shower gel there, and tbh wouldn't even use the ones made for it, as they would still upset things.

OP your girlfriend may have an issue that needs to be treated by a doctor or it may be that she isn't washing properly. Either way your first move has to be to talk to her. Be gentle about it, reassure her that you love doing it and want to be able to continue.

Apologies Gongoozler, I think I worded that a bit strongly - to each their own of course but just speaking from my own experience I've never had any issues just washing with shower gel.

Also OP Gongoozler is right, your girlfriend may indeed have a medical issue. She is correct in saying that above all else, make sure your gf knows her comfort/wellbeing is paramount here.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Unfortunately it may just be the case that that's how she smells and there's not much you can do about it. I could never really get over my most recent ex's smell down there (which was ok cause blowjobs weren't either of our favourites). It's not something I would have ever brought up with him though because there was nothing wrong it was just one of those annoying incompatibility things, I'm sure some girls would go wild for that smell!

In complete contrast with some other posters, is there a chance she's over-washing? Soap and vulvas/vaginas don't mix in my experience. Water alone is what is usually recommended and nothing inside the vagina itself. If you think that might be the case you could say that you can taste/smell the soap she uses and it's off-putting. Which might be a tactful way of sorting it out.
    Being clean shaven can cause upsets and smells down there too. So if that's the case you could suggest it'd be nice to see her with more hair? But then obviously if she prefers it without hair that's a difficult one to bring up too...

Or it could be an infection or something but I really don't know how you could bring that up. You could say that she suddenly tastes different, not bad as such, but different and that maybe she should get checked out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

openup wrote: »
    Or it could be an infection or something but I really don't know how you could bring that up. You could say that she suddenly tastes different, not bad as such, but different and that maybe she should get checked out?

This. If you're sure that the problem isn't a simple lack of hygiene, this is one of those scenarios where a little (white) lie is no harm - just say to her that recently she tastes different, a bit 'off', and if she asks has she always tasted like that, say no! Suggest she might take a trip to the GP, or at the very least try a different soap, as it's quite noticeable and whatever she's using might not be 'agreeing' with her down there. Then give her a big hug and reassure her that you love her.

Being upfront is usually best, but this is a sensitive issue and maybe bending the truth a little might cause less embarrassment for both of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If this isn't a hygiene issue, and I think that you've said it isn't, then I recommend a trip to her GP. Simply put, we're not meant to smell down there, and it could be an indicator of some other issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

Defo sounds like a case of BV or yeast infection. A trip to a GP will sort it out. It shouldn't be as pungent as you put it if all is in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

It sounds very like BV. Is the smell worse after intercourse? I'd be very surprised if she can't smell it herself from her underwear. It's quite common and not sexually transmitted. It's easily treated with a week's course of antibiotics (usually Flagyl).

I think you should say it to her very delicately. Say her odour has changed and it might be worth checking out. You could tell a white lie and say an ex was the same and it turned out she had BV. I'd be mortified if my partner was gagging 'down there' and I'd certainly want him to tell me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I don't agree with most of the advice here.

You may seriously damage her confidence by telling her "the truth" (no matter how sensitively) her pussy smells.

I recommend you fib a bit. Tell her it looks a bit red and there is a different scent. Tell her it's not normally like this. Get her to go to her gynaecologist to explain the symptoms you've noticed. The doctor will also notice the smell.

I know it would be "better" to tell her she always has a stinky pussy but you could destroy her by saying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

As far as I know there are two things that cause the smell below. One is an STD and the other is a bacterial infection, but both are treatable, if it's as bad as you describe I would imagine it is the bacterial one. Tell your girlfriend to go to a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I don't agree with most of the advice here.

You may seriously damage her confidence by telling her "the truth" (no matter how sensitively) her pussy smells.

I recommend you fib a bit. Tell her it looks a bit red and there is a different scent. Tell her it's not normally like this. Get her to go to her gynaecologist to explain the symptoms you've noticed. The doctor will also notice the smell.

I know it would be "better" to tell her she always has a stinky pussy but you could destroy her by saying this.

Seeing as it seems that the op's gf has a medical issue, the word vagina is more appropriate. I wouldn't go to the doctor and ask him/her to take a look at my
    pussy

blacklilly wrote: »
    Seeing as it seems that the op's gf has a medical issue, the word vagina is more appropriate. I wouldn't go to the doctor and ask him/her to take a look at my
    pussy

I don't think anyone apart from you and the person who thanked you thought I was suggesting she uses the word "pussy" when talking to her doctor.

Obviously you don't use that language when talking to a doctor. Do I really need to explain this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I don't think anyone apart from you and the person who thanked you thought I was suggesting she uses the word "pussy" when talking to her doctor.

Obviously you don't use that language when talking to a doctor. Do I really need to explain this?
    You probably don't need to use it ever. It's cringe.

Tilly wrote: »
    You probably don't need to use it ever. It's cringe.
    Tilly wrote: »
    He's a stuttering cúnt

Hypocrite much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mr. Loverman - pulling posts from another forum, particularly to make a point in a seriously off-topic conversation, is not on, and doesn't help the OP in any way, which is the purpose of PI. Seeing as it's only been two days since a previous warning here, I strongly suggest that you read the forum charter before posting here again.

Regards,
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Good lord I think I would die if my oh said or even refrenced to an odor down there.......you probably will make her cry and never have to give her oral again if you say something be very very subtle op, I like the shower together thing or u always hop in the shower before sex she will get the hint and end up doing the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Minera wrote: »
    Good lord I think I would die if my oh said or even refrenced to an odor down there.......you probably will make her cry and never have to give her oral again if you say something be very very subtle op, I like the shower together thing or u always hop in the shower before sex she will get the hint and end up doing the same!

Sex in the shower or just hopping in while the other is having one has just been the norm in relationships I've had in the past so I'd be wary that starting to have showers together might be mistaken as just a nice new thing to do as opposed to any sort of hint or to do with an issue of hygiene but the idea of just a shower before sex in general might be worth a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Minera wrote: »

I think it would be worse not knowing especially if it was potentially a medical issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I think it would be worse not knowing especially if it was potentially a medical issue.

I completely agree with this. There is no way she wouldn't have noticed the smell if the partner notices it. It is just a matter of not making a big deal out of it and suggesting it very nonchalantly. That's all. She will appreciate the honesty and your concern for her well being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Hotman

09090909 wrote: »
    This problem has been bothering me for awhile now so any advice is welcome.

My girlfriend smells and tastes fairly pungent down there, sorry if that's crass, I have no other way of putting it.

I have been with other women before my girlfriend so I know everyone will be different but this isn't even that. It's not a hygiene issue either. Last night it was so bad I gagged! She didn't see that though, thankfully.

It's quite a sensitive issue and I have no idea how to approach her about it without causing embarrassment or giving her a complex. Does anyone know what I can do?

You could say something along the lines of "i love it when your fresh out of the shower, it's such a turn on" or something along those lines? It's a difficult one. Or just don't go down there if she hasn't had a wash? difficult either way :\

Advertisement