Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another VRT related thread!

Options
  • 18-04-2016 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I am buying a 2011 320d from uk this week, The closest date i have for the Vrt is two weeks later. Can i still drive the car if get it insured on Uk reg in Ireland? Could i show the booking confirmation if stopped by the guards?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, you'll be grand, you just need to make an appointment within 7 days of the car coming in. Most insurance companies will insure the uk reg for a few weeks.
    Are you transferring insurance from another car?

You know you need to tax the car in the uk too if you're driving it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

colm_mcm wrote: »

How can this be done by someone non resident in UK like OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

CiniO wrote: »
    How can this be done by someone non resident in UK like OP?

The dealer can tax it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 raj.134

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, you'll be grand, you just need to make an appointment within 7 days of the car coming in. Most insurance companies will insure the uk reg for a few weeks.
    Are you transferring insurance from another car?

Hi, Thanks for the reply, Ya i am transferring my insurance policy from the car i sold to the one i am getting from the UK.
    Ya the car is taxed in the UK and MOt'D.

I have heard that you can go directly to the VRT office and they can process it straight away if you make the payment? someone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

raj.134 wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks for the reply, Ya i am transferring my insurance policy from the car i sold to the one i am getting from the UK.

I have heard that you can go directly to the VRT office and they can process it straight away if you make the payment? someone confirm this?

Appointment only and ncts is the body that does all the work. Vrt/revenue offices are gone.

• Advertisement

The dealer can tax it for you.

Are you sure that's still possible after changes last year.
    My understanding was that it wasn't.

Appointment only and ncts is the body that does all the work. Vrt/revenue offices are gone.

I thought the same. I was just on the phone to one of the lads, he said he went straight to the ncts and got it done, no appointment. Might chance it, they won't say to money coming in haha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tax is cancelled on change of owner. You will need to tax it and claim a refund for unused months when you land it here.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Tax is cancelled on change of owner. You will need to tax it and claim a refund for unused months when you land it here.

You mean to tax it in uk? Thanks

You mean to tax it in uk? Thanks

Yes.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Yes.

Thanks, can I drove it over before the Dvla cancel it?

You can chance it...

Another poster here recently reported contact from the dealer / seller who received a fine notice when the car was spotted by ANPR camera en route.

If stopped by police, they might be able to seize the car.

You can tax the car in a lot of post offices, not sure about online. Basically, it will only cost you one twelfth of the amount you pay, after refund of 11 months worth.

If it was me, I wouldn't take the risk.

Not your ornery onager

You can chance it...

Another poster here recently reported contact from the dealer / seller who received a fine notice when the car was spotted by ANPR camera en route.

If stopped by police, they might be able to seize the car.

You can tax the car in a lot of post offices, not sure about online. Basically, it will only cost you one twelfth of the amount you pay, after refund of 11 months worth.

If it was me, I wouldn't take the risk.

I honestly don't think it's possible to tax it by someone who is not resident in UK.

Even more - I think to tax it there, you need UK policy number, which in case of Irish resident buying car in UK for export, no one is going to have, as everyone uses Irish insurance to cover the UK car after purchase.

Therefore I think it's impossible to tax a UK car for Irish resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CiniO wrote: »
    I honestly don't think it's possible to tax it by someone who is not resident in UK.

Even more - I think to tax it there, you need UK policy number, which in case of Irish resident buying car in UK for export, no one is going to have, as everyone uses Irish insurance to cover the UK car after purchase.

Therefore I think it's impossible to tax a UK car for Irish resident.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

One need V5C/2 and will need insurance policy when taxing in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Assuming it's a private sale, when you buy the car in the UK the previous owner sends off the appropriate bit of paper to the DVLA to notify them of the sale and to claim back any unused months of road tax that he has paid. It does take a few days to work through the system and in fact the earliest it would be possible for the posted form to arrive at the DVLA would be the next day so I would not worry about paying for the car and haedaing for the ferry.

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Assuming it's a private sale, when you buy the car in the UK the previous owner sends off the appropriate bit of paper to the DVLA to notify them of the sale and to claim back any unused months of road tax that he has paid. It does take a few days to work through the system and in fact the earliest it would be possible for the posted form to arrive at the DVLA would be the next day so I would not worry about paying for the car and haedaing for the ferry.

So i should be okay to drive it back the same day of purchase?

Thanks

Advertisement