Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing my EV from UK and the long journey home from London area to Cork – 550km

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Thanks for your help. A test drive this weekend I think!

We used to use public transport to commute but we've found a car favourable as:
    A) In winter, time is similar and don't get soaked/cold etc
    B) In Summer, it's half the time due to lower traffic
    C) Always get a seat!

The commute is only a 17mile round trip everyday but averaging 24mpg in town and have noticed an increase in wear and tear. I have to do a 200 mile round trip 2-3 times/month to Belfast depending on requirements so will need a second car regardless unless I'm happier with longer trip time - this is the thing that puts me off a bit as I'll still have ICE costs. However, I reckon I can do 6000 miles out of the 12000 or so in an EV, with the rest in a decent motorway cruiser. There have been a few times recently when 2 cars would have been handy too.

What is the likelihood of being able to get to Newry from Dublin (~65miles) on a charge without crawling?

How much is a service for a Leaf and how often is it required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

commited wrote: »
    What is the likelihood of being able to get to Newry from Dublin (~65miles) on a charge without crawling?
    Probably not best placed to answer just yet as still waiting to get my mits on the Leaf I've ordered (albeit done a lot of reading up on the topic over the last few weeks). However, if it doesn't cover it, I'd imagine 10 minutes at 1x rapid charge would comfortably see you through? ...but as I said, others here better qualified to answer.
    commited wrote: »
    How much is a service for a Leaf and how often is it required?
    Again, don't quote me but it's something like every 30k or something like that. Less to service - and brakes don't wear as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭A2020

Is there an import charge when you come off the ferry in dublin

A2020 wrote: »
    Link

VRT exempt up to €5k worth of tax (so unless your importing something ultra expensive, you should be fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Soarer

No. You can drive it home without issue.

You've a few days to book the vrt, which will be €0 anyway, and a month to get her reregistered.

Is there anyway of checking the battery is owned.

Is there anyway of checking the battery is owned.
    I contacted Nissan finance (along with obviously having the dealer confirm same) and asked them to confirm that the battery for that vehicle was not on their books.

They were wishy-washy in giving me a definitive answer - but I kept pressing them - and ultimately, they confirmed - not a lease.

(Just to add - I was assuming you mean once you've selected a car. If you're shopping for a car, it can be a nightmare. Some of the sellers declare it up front - stating either "battery owned" or "battery leased" or Flex (which is the marketing term for the lease deal). You have to tease this out with each seller in a lot of instances.

It gets better still if you're trying to buy a 2013 (change-over year with mk.1 and mk 1.5 cars on the market) and/or trying to source a leaf with 6.6kW charging. A lot of the dealers simply don't even know what you're talking about with regard to the last 2 points! For shopping purposes, its a total headwrecker. However, it can also work to your advantage. The car I've a deposit on has 6.6kW charging - dealer didn't even know it had it.

Thank you for your answer. I have a deposit on a acenta +. I will try calling nissan finance on Monday the sales person told me I knew more about the leaf then he did as I was trying to get him to send me a picture of the leaf spy page still I don't think he understood me but I will try to get him to send it on Monday he said it was an x demo car

Thank you for your answer. I have a deposit on a acenta +. I will try calling nissan finance on Monday the sales person told me I knew more about the leaf then he did as I was trying to get him to send me a picture of the leaf spy page still I don't think he understood me but I will try to get him to send it on Monday he said it was an x demo car
    Are you buying from an independent car sales place or a nissan dealer?

Most of these guys don't know what they're selling. I'm not even in the EV world yet and seem to know more than them - just like your experience. That said, Leafspy is an independent app - so nissan dealers probably won't provide that data.

• Advertisement

We are buying from harratts nissan sheffield ( bristol street motors) a Nissan franchise. Just hope it all goes well
    Who are you buying from.

We are buying from harratts nissan sheffield ( bristol street motors) a Nissan franchise. Just hope it all goes well
    Who are you buying from.
    I'm sure it will go fine. You have plenty of warranty left to fall back on.

I'm buying from an independent in Lancs.

Did anyone get a charger fitted in there house from nissan ireland arranged by uk nissan ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Did anyone get a charger fitted in there house from nissan ireland arranged by uk nissan ??

Don't think it's possible unless you're paying full price for the charger? The chargers in the UK are part of the UK scheme which Rep. of Ireland is not eligible for. And because you're buying second hand you're not eligible for the Irish install either.

Be interested if you found a way around it though :)

There was a promotion on over the weekend offering free chargers but I explained we are living in ireland. He said it's fine they will organise nissan Northern Ireland or nissan ireland to fit it but I don't think it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Is there a spotters guide to determining if its a mk1 or mk1.5 on the swap over year if 2013? I was using the colour of the interior changing from cream to a darker charcoal. But there must be a more scientific way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Smoggy wrote: »
    Is there a spotters guide to determining if its a mk1 or mk1.5 on the swap over year if 2013? I was using the colour of the interior changing from cream to a darker charcoal. But there must be a more scientific way :)
    There's a few ways. AC button will be located to the left of centre (rather than right of centre) if gen 1.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

There's a few ways. AC button will be located to the left of centre (rather than right of centre) if gen 1.5.

Thanks - Does that also mean that using my method of the colour of the interior is also a valid way of spotting Gen 1.5's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Smoggy wrote: »
    Thanks - Does that also mean that using my method of the colour of the interior is also a valid way of spotting Gen 1.5's ?

It was technically possible to order the light interior on the Gen 1.5 so it's not 100% reliable but it's probably, at a guess, 95+% reliable as most went with the default of dark interior.

The AC button method is 100% reliable AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

as is the eco button on the steering wheel (it's no there in gen 1)

Advertisement