Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When does tax start on an import?

Options
  • 28-09-2015 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi

About to bring in a car from N.I. Will be buying it tomorrow, collecting Wednesday.

When do the tax office consider it is liable for Irish tax - I would much rather it started on 1/10? If I stay overnight in Belfast (which I can do for work this week) and show receipts to prove I didn't bring it in until Thurs, will that work for road tax? Or do they take the day I bought it in any case?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have 30 days to register it either way.
    You only owe tax from when you register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You have 30 days to register it either way.
    You only owe tax from when you register it.

....so don't register it at end-of-month..........you'll be stung for the month past, register it at the beginning of a month......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....so don't register it at end-of-month..........you'll be stung for the month past, register it at the beginning of a month......
    Happened to me, registered the car on the last day of the month thinking I could tax it the next day... 200 euro ill never get back :mad: Lesson learned I guess

What car have you that's €200pm to tax :o

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What car have you that's €200pm to tax :o
    Oops that should be a 100 :pac: Its a Z4

• Advertisement

Still a pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

ok, thanks for the quick reply. NI dealer wants to do deal to hit their month-end, and is dropping price accordingly, so I have to do it before 30/9.

You have to buy it before 30/9 surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

yes, buy on [Wednesday] 30/9, then was mulling over staying in Belfast that night and driving it down on 1/10, that's the issue. Sounds like I don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Happened to me, registered the car on the last day of the month thinking I could tax it the next day... 200 euro ill never get back :mad: Lesson learned I guess

So does that mean if you register vehicle on 31st of the month, and pay tax on 1st of next month, you will have to pay arrears for the whole of previous month?
    Is there no way to declare vehicle off the road for previous month?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    So does that mean if you register vehicle on 31st of the month, and pay tax on 1st of next month, you will have to pay arrears for the whole of previous month?
    Is there no way to declare vehicle off the road for previous month?
    No, the car is liable for tax from the day it is registered in the country. A car has to be taxed in order to be declared off the road afaik? Or has to be declared off the road 6 weeks prior to the tax expiring maybe? Unless this is different for an import.
    I just paid it, lesson learned. Wouldn't have killed the guy in the VRT office to tell me to do it tomorrow, you'd swear the money would come out of his wages :rolleyes: But having said that its not his job either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Yes you can declare a newly imported vehicle OTR in the same month it's registered. I've done it myself for a car that was registered a few day's before months end and was parked up untill the following month.

In the OP's case though they will be fine, just make the booking when you get the car and you should get a date to register at the centre within a week so you wont be loosing much time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

5500 wrote: »
    Yes you can declare a newly imported vehicle OTR in the same month it's registered. I've done it myself for a car that was registered a few day's before months end and was parked up untill the following month.

In the OP's case though they will be fine, just make the booking when you get the car and you should get a date to register at the centre within a week so you wont be loosing much time

Well in that case OP could go even further.
    Buy it on 29th as he's planning, bring it in to Ireland and hold off with VRT appointment until the end of October (but make it within 30 days).
    Then he can declare it off the road for last few days of October, obstrain from using it, and tax only from November.

Advertisement