Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old train carriage

Options
  • 04-01-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a salvage yard where I would get an old train car? An irish one would be best. DART would be brilliant!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

contact Irish Rail. They have a selection awaiting scrap. Inter City, DART and diesel units.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Get down to North Wall or Dundalk station and have a look, lots of Mk3s coaches. There are 10 DART carriages in Inchicore depot waiting for scrap they were put up for sale at the end of 2012. They were only bought in 2000 and very low milage:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

They sold some Mk3As and a Cravens to a hotel. If the person has the space for one and can afford to and arrange to have it removed from Inchicore and transported to their own site then why not? The bogies, electrics and and hazardous materials would be removed anyway.

One of the Mk3As is now a coffee shop and looks very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

They sold some Mk3As and a Cravens to a hotel. If the person has the space for one and can afford to and arrange to have it removed from Inchicore and transported to their own site then why not? The bogies, electrics and and hazardous materials would be removed anyway.

Where is this coffee shop? Would love to see a pic. Thinking of using it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Where is this coffee shop? Would love to see a pic. Thinking of using it for that.

In this link, scroll down to the bottom,. I don't think a DART carriage would be suited to it as much as a Mk3 though due to the door layout on them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62132709@N04/sets/72157627638240655/with/6187723816/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62132709@N04/6187735520/in/set-72157627638240655

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The hotel was, apparently, going to use them for staff accommodation but went in to receivership before that could be done. New owners don't seem to want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

The Craven and one remaining International Coach at Naas are in very poor condition. See some pictures from last May http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/May-2013/i-tqNnXmb#!/2013Photos/May-2013/i-rFhMvQg

However, as mentioned above one of the International coaches at Naas was moved to Caragh Nurseries and now is a coffee shop.
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/May-2013/i-tqNnXmb#!/2013Photos/May-2013/i-x2xV2Mn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

The Craven and one remaining International Coach at Naas are in very poor condition. See some pictures from last May http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/May-2013/i-tqNnXmb#!/2013Photos/May-2013/i-rFhMvQg

However, as mentioned above one of the International coaches at Naas was moved to Caragh Nurseries and now is a coffee shop.
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/May-2013/i-tqNnXmb#!/2013Photos/May-2013/i-x2xV2Mn

What sort of money would those carriages be sold for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

MDFM wrote: »

Lots of UK carriages etc for sale here

http://www.wnxx.com/forsale/index.htm

Seems to be from 1,500 to 65K stg.

(Not Irish - but might be useful for what prices to expect? )

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

MDFM wrote: »

Dont forget to add a few grand to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dont forget to add a few grand to move it.

And site preparation and when the local council and neighbours take you to the cleaners over planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

There's a carriage used as a coffee dock at the Clonakilty model railway village.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

The mk3 carriage used in naas as coffee shop is in good condition! All signage remains in situ, a real blast from the past when you are sitting in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

johnayo wrote: »
    There's a carriage used as a coffee dock at the Clonakilty model railway village.

two I think plus a fake steam loco

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering what went wrong with all the more modern Dart carriages that are lying up as scrapped in Inchicore. Seems there's still a lot of the older models that are still in use, so why not the newer ones. They don't seem that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Effects wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering what went wrong with all the more modern Dart carriages that are lying up as scrapped in Inchicore. Seems there's still a lot of the older models that are still in use, so why not the newer ones. They don't seem that old.

In brief they were unreliable and there have been a lot of issues getting appropriate spare parts for them, so much so that they are unable to be kept in traffic. The older Darts, the 8100's are still in traffic and will be for at least 10 more years, having received an entire rebuild a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think I remember reading about parts sourcing issues a few years back, when there was a couple of them sitting in Fairview.
    Is there any links I could follow for more information on the reliability issues?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IRRS journals of old are probably best for details of failures; a lot of the discussion back then was on newsgroups and mailing lists which have not generally remained online. Basically they were lemons, and the diesel equivalents (2700s) only marginally better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Parts are not really a problem, its a fairly standard Alstom ONIX 2000 drive (same as the Luas really) that said OEM parts are not cheap

Basically Irish Rail isn't willing to put in the effort to look after the trains, it would be interesting to compare the Alstom's against UK trains of a similar age, I doubt they are poor in comparison. The problem is Irish Rail seem to be able to obtain insane reliability out of its fleet, 5-10 times more than the UK so what is average in the UK is poor here.

Never had a failure on a Alstom, even though I took one every morning for several years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Basically Irish Rail isn't willing to put in the effort to look after the trains, it would be interesting to compare the Alstom's against UK trains of a similar age, I doubt they are poor in comparison. The problem is Irish Rail seem to be able to obtain insane reliability out of its fleet, 5-10 times more than the UK so what is average in the UK is poor here.

It all depends what is called a fault though doesn't it at the end of the day. Some operators in the UK would consider that a broken PIS, train management system failures and broken reservation and destination displays would be a fault but considering the constant problems Irish Rail have with these things on a few types of train they have, I bet they don't if they are getting the figures you claim.

Pretty much any stock built around that time from Alstom wasn't of the greatest quality, the UK had issues with the 175/180/334/338/460 etc and other operators around Europe did too. It wasn't Alstom's finest hour by any means and they have not recovered in the UK market since. The only good thing about Alstom's demise was it resulted in the Desiro line blossoming.

Advertisement