Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foynes Line

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GBOA wrote: »
    Whoever bought Adare station could end up being quite lucky if this happens. Unless of course, they have no interest in rail... I can hear the objections now if that's the case.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

How so?

I took it to mean that if its a rail buff that owns the station they'll be delighted to see an 071 pass by their back door a couple of times every day. However, if they're not they may lodge an objection but I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on as the line was never formally abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

How likely would this line be to reopen?

50/50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

lord lucan wrote: »
    I took it to mean that if its a rail buff that owns the station they'll be delighted to see an 071 pass by their back door a couple of times every day. However, if they're not they may lodge an objection but I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on as the line was never formally abandoned.

CIE Property sold it, and as that entity moves on a geological timescale I'm assuming they covered themselves well, in case they go tripping over rails or doing something mad like building an extension across the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

lord lucan wrote: »

Exactly what I meant!

Something similar happened back home when the Stirling - Kincardine line reopened to freight. Those who had bought nice new builds with gardens backing on to the line were none too happy when a 66 hauling coal passed a couple of times a night although there were always plans for the line to be reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i'd love that! I do have a disused line behind my house as it happens, but no coal mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Patrick O'Donovan TD raised a question on the Foynes rail line to Leo Varadkar in the Dáil on the 19th December.

More at http://irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/varakar-supportive-of-foynes-rail-freight/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Patrick O'Donovan TD raised a question on the Foynes rail line to Leo Varadkar in the Dáil on the 19th December.

More at http://irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/varakar-supportive-of-foynes-rail-freight/
    Read all that, very aspirational but its a case of ''never say never'' every minister says that, just like Minister Dempsey before him, he had dreams of lines going all the way to Navan.
    Leo varadkar made a statement a few months ago which is probably more to the truth, ''there are no plans to open new lines or reopen old lines in the present economic circumstances'' thats about the size of it, anything else, dream on, the most important 4words are at the end of the link '' We await further developments.'' that keeps everybody happy and keeps some people's dream alive.

Advertisement