Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will my laptop run vista?

• 07-12-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

I just formatted my sony vaios hard drive because it was getting slow and it needed to be cleaned up badly, so i backed up what i had to and formatted it. I was just about to install xp when I thought it might be able to run vista, anyway heres the specs:

Sony Vaio FE31H

CPU: Core 2 Duo T5500 1.6Ghz
    RAM: 1Gb (2x512mb) 667mhz
    HDD: 2.5" 120Gb Sata
    GPU: 8400GT (I think :confused:)

I only want to install vista if it will be able to run smoothly, I dont mind turning off Aero. Thanks ;)

oh its HP 32bit if thats any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If you're just doing everyday things like browsing, music etc then you won't have any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Ubaroo

My bro uses it for photoshop sometimes, and some valve games, do you think it could handle them? If i upgraded the ram to 2gb would it be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Ubaroo wrote: »
    My bro uses it for photoshop sometimes, and some valve games, do you think it could handle them? If i upgraded the ram to 2gb would it be ok?

It should run fine. Only way to really find out though is to give it a go :)

Have you got the copy of vista already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Ubaroo

Yep got a disk and key for it. I'll just dual boot it with xp and vista and see what happens. Thanks for your help :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I wouldn't try and run it on 1GB of RAM if you have any intention of running more than one app at a time. Upgrading to 2GB will probably help sort that out, but I'd still suggest turning off all the shiny to get better performance. Photoshop ought to be OK, but the games most likely won't run brilliantly - or at least not at top resolution.

If you're installing XP again anyway, I'd run the Upgrade Advisor to get a better idea for your hardware's compatibility. The Sony spec sheet says it's capable of running Home Premium, although I'd suggest Vista Business instead if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If you thought the machine was running slow with XP, dont install Vista.

In theory, all I would recommend would be two gig of RAM instead of one but in practice I'd tell you to stick with XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely get 2gb of ram, or even 4gb. Aside from that it'll run Vista fine.

Though that said 1GB of Ram is more then enough for XP as well so if you found XP 'slow' on 1gb of ram it's probably because you had viruses/spyware bogging down the OS.

It would play any Source based game like HL2, CSS or DOD at high settings at high resolution, except for the newer Left 4 Dead which is considerably more demanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

4211 will not run more than 2GB RAM>Its a great little machine but dont try and run Vista on it .It ,Vista,is the greatest resource hog ever .A PC that will run XP fine on 512MB may struggle on Vista at 2GB ...Far longer boot up time ,far longer almost everything!In fairness the one good thing I could say about Vista apart from its 'prettiness' is that its noticeably faster at copying files.But basically it sucks big time ...I have UNINSTALLED it three times...It will drive you mad.And its being replaced next year anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ytareh wrote: »
    4211 will not run more than 2GB RAM>Its a great little machine but dont try and run Vista on it .It ,Vista,is the greatest resource hog ever .A PC that will run XP fine on 512MB may struggle on Vista at 2GB ...Far longer boot up time ,far longer almost everything!In fairness the one good thing I could say about Vista apart from its 'prettiness' is that its noticeably faster at copying files.But basically it sucks big time ...I have UNINSTALLED it three times...It will drive you mad.And its being replaced next year anyway!

Eh.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Eh.....:confused:

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Vista is a pain in the hole

I have it or rather had it on my xps m1710 with 2gigs of ram and a 7950gtx card.

Too many issues with it, I removed it and put on xp pro sp3

problems solved.

hasta la vista baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

never had a problem with it myself.

Advertisement