Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent 4211 Dropping Wireless on UPC Problem?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Well I dont know if this is a problem with the netbook or UPC /NTL or both ...rarely I will get a message telling me I have to reconnect to the net on my DESKTOP PC but the wife is getting them CONSTANTLY -sometimes every 5 minutes on her Advent 4211 ...I have updated the wireless card drivers from the MSI Wind site but that didnt work...anybody fixed this problem -shame,fine machine otherwise...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have a Wind and I've found the wireless range a bit limited in comparison to other laptops I have had - although if I am in good range of my access point I have no problems. If I'm at the limit of the range then I tend to have issues.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Fingers crossed think I have this fixed.I updated the Realtek Wireless Card's driver from the link in this thread

http://forums.msiwind.net/windows/suggested-optimal-wireless-config-t2070.html

AND most importantly reset the channel number in my Netgear router (had to type in 192.168.1.1 in my address bar to access it )from 11 to 4 (tried 1 ,2 and 3 ...didnt work).You may have to try all 10 yourself to find one the wireless card 'likes'-no point in trying 12 and 13 as 4211 doesnt have channel number above 11

(It took me ages to access the 192....page as I had anonymous login set in my Internet Options/ Security Options and it wont let you on it with this setting-What would we do without Google-Would loved to have seen PC World 'fixing' this issue!!!)

Funny how it worked fine for 3 weeks before this !

I reckon these are still the best Netbooks available on balance.Reckon with this fixed I might invest in better wireless card and 2GB RAM upgrade .

Oh yeah I was playing the game 'Defcon' on it last night and it manages as well as last Sony Vaio with 7400M graphics card and 2Gb RAM under Vista ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Thanks for the link, handy to know. I tried the newest drivers to see if I could stretch a little more range but no go. Not a problem but would have been nice. Only thing on my wishlist is the higher capacity battery.

D.

Yeah but they are suposed to be very dear if and when they come out (95 euro...59 pounds...these prices seem to be in my head for some reason....)Not cheap anyway ...big fraction of original cost ....new wireless card (mini pci express) and extra gig of ram would come first on my missus wish list as she uses ac power mostly anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 friendsofearth

just bought the 4211 worked for the first day then got the old wireless problem as discussed . brought to currys they told me it was my network very helpful. also more or less told me i was an idiot. as it worked in the shop. but mine works for 20 min then goes mad disconecting and re conecting. staff there r very helpful. so i updated the driver and now its fine. after taking advice from poster . thanks for link. currys your shocking service is discustiong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah sadly this kind of service is almost becoming the norm.We forget most of these staff are 'salespeople' and not technicians .Its always wise to remember that a sales persons first loyalty is not to the customer but to themselves and their employer .I read of SIX employees in various Apple shops telling a customer that the new Ipod Nano would charge in a Bose Sound Dock when its widely known that they dont .
    Poor knowledge of their products combined with dubious ethics makes shopping in these sort of places necessary to remember 'buyer beware '...
    Some of these places would probably tell an old lady that a 15 euro food mixer would be suitable for mixing cement if they thought they could make a sale.Scarey thing is that some of their staff might believe their own bs...
    The trouble with this particular problem is not knowing whether the issue is due to the wireless card or UPC or both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have a problem on my 4211 where wifi will be working fine at 100% signal strength, then it will randomly die - when I search for networks, it says none available. Then a few seconds later it finds them all - again all at 100% signal - and reconnects.

Real pain in the ass but it only ever seemed to happen at college (though, not JUST the college Wifi network, it would pick up 3-4 networks) and not at home so I wasn't sure what to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just a long shot,but have a any of you tried removing alll the security and connecting for as long as it would normally connect and see if ti lasts any longer after that?It just might be that the card has an issue with the security you're using or something like that...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

i take you've updated the firmware for the wireless card? My 4211 seems to work fine on the various networks i've tried.

Advertisement