Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport card coming by mid 2015

Options
  • 21-12-2014 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Shocking move, it is just one step closer to a nazi state where we will all have to carry a state id card and then it will be travel permits etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Slippery slope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I want one on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Shocking move, it is just one step closer to a nazi state where we will all have to carry a state id card and then it will be travel permits etc

Did you even read the article? It's simply a passport replacement card that can only be used in the EU, no compunction. And it might just reduce the number of kids losing their passports because they've brought it out as ID to get into pubs.

There isn't a conspiracy involved in everything, much as you might like to think it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wallet sized version of a passport can only be a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Did you even read the article? It's simply a passport replacement card that can only be used in the EU, no compunction. And it might just reduce the number of kids losing their passports because they've brought it out as ID to get into pubs.

There isn't a conspiracy involved in everything, much as you might like to think it.

Yes, Mr Chamberlain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Godwin's Law within 2 posts - quick even by Boards standards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Is this not same as the Garda Age card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

loyatemu wrote: »
    Godwin's Law within 2 posts - quick even by Boards standards...

Godwin's law is such a stupid concept. Any of 1000s popular/infamous figure or event could have been the subject. And yet people treat it like it is a unique phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

Fantastic news. I'm always jealous of EU colleagues and their ID cards they can use when traveling within the EU. So much easier (and less likely to be lost) than a full passport book. Plus it would have been great to have such a card when traveling as an 18 year old - much safer to use as ID in foreign bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I have one of those EU identity cards from my motherland and it’s great. It’s the same size as a credit card, can be used for travel in most EU/EFTA countries (plus places like Egypt and Turkey) and it comes with a RFID chip that I can use for electronic signatures to conduct government/financial business (with the electronic signature having the same status as a paper signature). It’s so much simpler than the whole passport book as I can carry it in my wallet and hence have it when required. Plus it allows also the usage of electronic passport gates in several countries. And since travelers from Ireland are treated as 3rd world citizen when it comes to enter the Schengen area that saves loads of time.

Several states have come to issue Passport Cards in addition to Passport Books, even the US does it now (even if it’s limited in use at land borders or sea ports and to satisfy the TSA requirements for in country travel).

But as usual what happens in Ireland, it’s going to be implemented for way too high cost to be reasonable alternative, the functions will be limited to travel (i.e. no electronic signature etc.) and showing it at an alcohol purchase point. Plus Ryanair will claim it’s not a valid travel id as the quality possibly is going to be the same as an Italian fishing license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Seriously? Its essentially the photo page of the passport, without the visa pages. If you dont want it, dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

If you've nothing to hide, then you've nothing to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I envy my wife when we travel. She has an I'd card from her home country to travel on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

But as usual what happens in Ireland, it’s going to be implemented for way too high cost to be reasonable alternative, the functions will be limited to travel (i.e. no electronic signature etc.) and showing it at an alcohol purchase point. Plus Ryanair will claim it’s not a valid travel id as the quality possibly is going to be the same as an Italian fishing license.

Wow you must have some inside knowledge to be able to state this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Pity its not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

BowWow wrote: »
    Pity its not...

Why ? My wife is from a country with compulsory ID card, it is still one of the most corrupt, dangerous places to live, and it is really creepy, went in to buy a dvd player one day and they wouldn't sell it to us because she didn't have her ID, seriously why would someone need ID to purchase an everyday electrical appliance for cash ?
    It doesn't stop crime because criminals just forge them it just allows the state and large corporations to more efficiently spy on ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

This statement is as falacious as the slippery slope hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Icepick wrote: »
    This statement is as falacious as the slippery slope hyperbole.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Long long long overdue. I just hope it can be used in exactly the same way as a national ID card from another EU state, here in Germany. For example, if I need to prove my identity to the post office at present I need my passport + registration of abode document, whereas a Polish, Czech etc. guy just needs to show their national ID card, which is always in their wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

murphaph wrote: »
    Long long long overdue. I just hope it can be used in exactly the same way as a national ID card from another EU state, here in Germany. For example, if I need to prove my identity to the post office at present I need my passport + registration of abode document, whereas a Polish, Czech etc. guy just needs to show their national ID card, which is always in their wallet.

It will depend on how it is implemented, for example a German Citizen residing abroad has “no permanent residence in German” marked on their German ID card and hence just as you needs a proof of address for the Postident System.

However some EU Identity cards have an address on it, even if it’s an address outside the country of origin, so they don’t. So for you the only way would be if the Irish Passport Card would feature your Berlin home address, otherwise you would still need a proof of residency.

Most ID cards in the EU feature the permanent residency address stored on both the card and the CHIP. Together with the electronic signature it makes it possible to apply for new bank accounts, government paperwork and other contracts requiring proof of address and identify electronically without the need to get further paperwork sorted. All done electronically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Is this not same as the Garda Age card

The age card is just proof you're 18 or older,
    The passport is proof of citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

cdebru wrote: »
    Slippery slope.
    Saipanne wrote: »
    Yes, Mr Chamberlain.

Mother of jaysus.

First of all Saipanne didn't you just get booted out of your own lame thread in After Hours on the very topic of Godwinning?

You do all realise that this is just an Irish equivalent of the American passpart-card, a passport-lite for (in their case) land-based border crossing (i.e. the Americans have a passport card for people who will only be travelling internationally by landed border crossings with the U.S. i.e. Canada and Mexico). The Irish version will be similar, limited to travel in the EU etc.

How in the name of goodness that is comparable to a regime that murdered millions of Jews, homosexuals, Poles and caused the deaths of countless soldiers from various nations, is completely beyond me.
    332527.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

In what way?
    Loads of innocent people have been victims of miscarriage of justice and totalitarian practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I dont this thread should be in commuting and transport

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Locked for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement