Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Line

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They've taken away the railway gates at Childers Road in the last few weeks.
    guess the lifting train or whatever its called these days is on its way, shame, dam the relevant act allowing CIE to do whatever it likes with the peoples railway

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Maybe they took down the gates to repair them in anticipation of the line reopening.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Maybe they took down the gates to repair them in anticipation of the line reopening.

Not so sure, they've laid down tarmac over the tracks at the crossing there as well.

The only thing is, I'm not sure if the Foynes route goes by Limerick Junction, or does it use the line that goes to the cement factory? It's the line to the cement factory that has been tarmacced over (there's another two crossings closer to the factory that have also been closed), so the likelihood of the reopening of the Foynes line would be very low if it uses the cement factory track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

twin lines side by side through the city, both originate at Limerick Station or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The way I understand it, the re-opening of the line depends on a few factors.

First off, Irish Rail needs a guaranteed flow of regular traffic over a long term, in this case zinc ore so it's reliant on the mining company wanting to go with rail and to make an investment and lay a rail spur onto it's site. Running occasional trains a will not get this off the ground; it needs to be 2-3 trains a day to make it pay it's way otherwise it's not going to be practical from an economic aspect.

Secondly, the Foynes port need to be able to take on the traffic in question. It has taken rail ore before and they have handled zinc before but they may need to modernise their facilities to make it work. If they can't accomodate the boats then it becomes a non runner.

Thirdly, the costings to reopen the line are proposed to be factored in with a resignaling and relaying project for the Limerick area. The question then is if the DOT will make the investment into this project. It could be done on a shoestring if it came down to it; a lot of what is there is road fit for low speeds, so my PW friends tell me. Even then, it will still cost 7 figures to get ready, money that CIE don't have.

The research as been done on the plan, and yes it is possible provided that the powers that be want it to work. For now, it's out of CIE hands.

• Advertisement

Not so sure, they've laid down tarmac over the tracks at the crossing there as well.

The only thing is, I'm not sure if the Foynes route goes by Limerick Junction, or does it use the line that goes to the cement factory? It's the line to the cement factory that has been tarmacced over (there's another two crossings closer to the factory that have also been closed), so the likelihood of the reopening of the Foynes line would be very low if it uses the cement factory track.

The cement branch is closed so long as they aren't bringing Shale from Tipperary into the plant, which is probably never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Maybe they are just replacing them with automatic lifting barriers;)

The cement branch is closed so long as they aren't bringing Shale from Tipperary into the plant, which is probably never again.

The only consolation is the lines will probably be left intact, past lessons have surely been learned, and in time a commuter railway may be built

(at least 100 years I suspect)

relaxed wrote: »
    The only consolation is the lines will probably be left intact, past lessons have surely been learned, and in time a commuter railway may be built

(at least 100 years I suspect)
    well as long as any tarmac can be removed it should be possible to sort out the track bed for a railway, if the tarmac is on the cement branch then not to worry as it won't be used again, mind you they could have removed the track where they tarmaced on or surely their is some sort of tarmac plate type thing that can be put over tracks these days that can be lifted off?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

I love your optimism Metrovick, you'v given me an idea, I'm going to remove my bedroom door, take it to the garden shed, then maybe paint and repair it:)

• Advertisement

The way I understand it, the re-opening of the line depends on a few factors.

First off, Irish Rail needs a guaranteed flow of regular traffic over a long term, in this case zinc ore so it's reliant on the mining company wanting to go with rail and to make an investment and lay a rail spur onto it's site. Running occasional trains a will not get this off the ground; it needs to be 2-3 trains a day to make it pay it's way otherwise it's not going to be practical from an economic aspect.

Secondly, the Foynes port need to be able to take on the traffic in question. It has taken rail ore before and they have handled zinc before but they may need to modernise their facilities to make it work. If they can't accomodate the boats then it becomes a non runner.

Thirdly, the costings to reopen the line are proposed to be factored in with a resignaling and relaying project for the Limerick area. The question then is if the DOT will make the investment into this project. It could be done on a shoestring if it came down to it; a lot of what is there is road fit for low speeds, so my PW friends tell me. Even then, it will still cost 7 figures to get ready, money that CIE don't have.

The research as been done on the plan, and yes it is possible provided that the powers that be want it to work. For now, it's out of CIE hands.

I would doubt that even 2 trains a day is actually possible, even if enough ore was available. I imagine that everything would have to be done within a single shift. Even with two rakes of wagons,(if they exist) what with shunting and loading /unloading and light engine workings, one train a day would be tight in a single shift I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

How long more is Tara traffic expected to last? How much life will be left in the wagons when it does? The Drogheda-Navan panels could be used to relay the line since there's no interest in passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    How long more is Tara traffic expected to last?

The mine has a lifespan of more than 20 years due to deposit finds in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

This is the crossing where the tarmac is http://goo.gl/maps/NKEIK. Both the cement factory & Foynes line covered.

One line looking overgrown and thats 4 years ago.

well as long as any tarmac can be removed it should be possible to sort out the track bed for a railway, if the tarmac is on the cement branch then not to worry as it won't be used again, mind you they could have removed the track where they tarmaced on or surely their is some sort of tarmac plate type thing that can be put over tracks these days that can be lifted off?

I'd say it has scope for a Luas style redevelopment.

This would be a long term aspiration of course.

With good planning and high density development over the last 20 years we could have had a light rail circular line using the cement branch outbound to the shopping centre then along the road past the hospital, through the industrial estate and back into the city centre along the foynes branch.

I don't know really, you don't see that many buses in that area so I wonder if there are enough passengers to justify the millions required to build it.

relaxed wrote: »
    I'd say it has scope for a Luas style redevelopment.

This would be a long term aspiration of course.

With good planning and high density development over the last 20 years we could have had a light rail circular line using the cement branch outbound to the shopping centre then along the road past the hospital, through the industrial estate and back into the city centre along the foynes branch.
    we could have got a fantastic railway system with good planning but it wasn't to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

we could have got a fantastic railway system with good planning but it wasn't to be.

I think when faced with the choice of a good railway system or being allowed to build a house/bungalow anywhere at all, most Irish people would chose the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

It looks like the Irish Railway Developments blog has written a post on the Foynes line:

http://irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/railfreight-from-foynes-again/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

Whoever bought Adare station could end up being quite lucky if this happens. Unless of course, they have no interest in rail... I can hear the objections now if that's the case.

• Advertisement

GBOA wrote: »
    Whoever bought Adare station could end up being quite lucky if this happens. Unless of course, they have no interest in rail... I can hear the objections now if that's the case.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

How so?

I took it to mean that if its a rail buff that owns the station they'll be delighted to see an 071 pass by their back door a couple of times every day. However, if they're not they may lodge an objection but I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on as the line was never formally abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

How likely would this line be to reopen?

50/50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

lord lucan wrote: »
    I took it to mean that if its a rail buff that owns the station they'll be delighted to see an 071 pass by their back door a couple of times every day. However, if they're not they may lodge an objection but I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on as the line was never formally abandoned.

CIE Property sold it, and as that entity moves on a geological timescale I'm assuming they covered themselves well, in case they go tripping over rails or doing something mad like building an extension across the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

lord lucan wrote: »

Exactly what I meant!

Something similar happened back home when the Stirling - Kincardine line reopened to freight. Those who had bought nice new builds with gardens backing on to the line were none too happy when a 66 hauling coal passed a couple of times a night although there were always plans for the line to be reopened.

i'd love that! I do have a disused line behind my house as it happens, but no coal mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Patrick O'Donovan TD raised a question on the Foynes rail line to Leo Varadkar in the Dáil on the 19th December.

More at http://irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/varakar-supportive-of-foynes-rail-freight/

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Patrick O'Donovan TD raised a question on the Foynes rail line to Leo Varadkar in the Dáil on the 19th December.

More at http://irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/varakar-supportive-of-foynes-rail-freight/
    Read all that, very aspirational but its a case of ''never say never'' every minister says that, just like Minister Dempsey before him, he had dreams of lines going all the way to Navan.
    Leo varadkar made a statement a few months ago which is probably more to the truth, ''there are no plans to open new lines or reopen old lines in the present economic circumstances'' thats about the size of it, anything else, dream on, the most important 4words are at the end of the link '' We await further developments.'' that keeps everybody happy and keeps some people's dream alive.

Advertisement