Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron - Charger Sparking

Options
  • 24-11-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 - 18 months old so the 1 yr warrenty is gone

Problem: Whenever I plug in the charger I normally see a blue static flash from the pins on the plug

I always plug it in with a Belkin Surge Cube

but even on that now there are black scortch marks on the pins :eek:

Model : LA65N S0-00 - 19.5V 1.5A

Dell did send me out a new one around a year ago - the one I had before was twice as bad

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

I think that is quite common when attaching the charger while it is plugged into the mains electricity,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Never really bothered looking for a solution myself but that happened to me a lot with my Dell Inspiron 6000 which is now 4-5 years old. Hasn't caused any problems that I have found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

bloody scary though - especially when you hear those tales that static can fry everything inside your computer

that and the fact when it was under warrenty and i emailed about the first charger - dell sent out a new one without question - like it was something pretty serious

I had a similar problem with my Inspiron 6000 but only while I was living in one particular house. It was fine everywhere else so I'm guessing there was some problem with the sockets or electricity supply there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

Yes, I had the same problem with my Dell laptop, but I also found that it varied on location, what I recommend doing is to attach all cables to laptop and plug and then flick on the switch on the wall. That worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

bloody scary though - especially when you hear those tales that static can fry everything inside your computer
    That's arcing, not static electricity. Are the sockets in your house earthed? I used to get it all the time plugging in anything in my old house which had pretty ancient electrics (big old round 3-pin sockets, some definately weren't earthed at all).

Advertisement