Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some cyclist giving cyclists bad name

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Indeed, a taxi driver referred to my lack of a 'vest' recently at traffic lights and (mis)informed me that I'm supposed to be wearing one. (I had lights).

What's the collective noun for cabblies? A Ushudbe of taximen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Just after the Garden of Remembrance and before the theatre taxi parked at the rear entrance to the hospital. Pulls out straight on front of me without indicating. I approach him at the traffic lights as it was near to being an accident, he replies with this classic;

"Im allowed pull out of there without indicating because of the traffic cones on front of me" !

Absolute simpleton of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I had a motorist shout at me to "stop eating those crisps otherwise you will never win a race". He shut up when I reminded him that I beat him last time out. Isn't that right Midonagh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    I had a motorist shout at me to "stop eating those crisps otherwise you will never win a race". He shut up when I reminded him that I beat him last time out. Isn't that right Midonagh.

You may have beaten him but
    I beat you last Sunday though .....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Fowl"er - now that's a really bad name ......

:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had to get a taxi to make an appointment yesterday after work. Had the nicest taxi driver I can recall who was a keen cyclist and happy to talk about his bikes and the n-1 issue.

That said they're still all *%&&* :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

lennymc wrote: »
    I had a motorist shout at me to "stop eating those crisps otherwise you will never win a race".

What crisps should you eat to win a race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What crisps should you eat to win a race?
    Tayto Wheelies. ;)

Tayto%20Wheelies_zps9r1erijj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had to get a taxi to make an appointment yesterday after work. Had the nicest taxi driver I can recall who was a keen cyclist and happy to talk about his bikes and the n-1 issue.

That said they're still all *%&&* :/

Dublin? Hailo? Mountain biker primarily, with a road bike?

Pretty sure I've had the pleasure too. Was all going great until he saw someone on a BSO and it all kicked off.

It was a pretty entertaining Jekyll & Hyde scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I was driving into town yesterday and i see a cyclist who was basically been a nuisance on the road. I myself am a cyclist and obey the rules of the road and try not to annoy or get in the way of drivers, but when i seen this lad, he is the reason people hate cyclist. He was weaving in and out of traffic, and ran through several red lights. not a care in the world. There was one point where he was in the very left lane and swerved right across 2 lanes of traffic (All lanes stopped at red light) went through a red to turn right into town, where the traffic coming out of town was green so any car coming would have had to slam on if they seen him.

Just curious - when you hear of motorists killing or maiming others on the road, do those motorists give ALL motorists a bad name?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/female-pedestrian-killed-in-road-traffic-accident-in-dublin-1.2394895
    Trond wrote: »
    Can we all agree the cyclists that wear f*cking Beats Headphones are absolute ball bags?

They still hear more about what's going on that motorists with their windows up, even with no radio/music playing in the car.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just curious - when you hear of motorists killing or maiming others on the road, do those motorists give ALL motorists a bad name?
    They still hear more about what's going on that motorists with their windows up, even with no radio/music playing in the car.

Or than drivers in hijabs, one of whom nearly got me the other day - she couldn't hear my bell with her ears shut in, and from inside a car, and backing, and backing around a corner, even though I was ringing my bell like mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Or than drivers in hijabs, one of whom nearly got me the other day - she couldn't hear my bell with her ears shut in, and from inside a car, and backing, and backing around a corner, even though I was ringing my bell like mad.

Ever think the being shut in a car (and potentially having a radio on) had more bearing on this than the hijab? Seriously, I don't actually know what point you are trying to make in referencing this fact given that my hearing is minimally impaired on the bike when wearing a windproof cap, which I imagine is more sound insulating than any hijab - should anything which covers the ears be banned on bikes too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That's those crazy Protestants for you.

Well, crazy though Protestands, and Catholics, and Hindus, and Sikhs, and Buddhists, might be, they don't fasten their ears under scarves so they can't hear. Well, maybe the Sikhs, and the 1950s Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't think the hijab significantly reduces hearing.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    I don't think the hijab reduces hearing.

Well, if not, she was just a terrible, terrible driver and not typical of people wearing hijabs. I was inclined to blame the hijab, which looked as if it would stop her from hearing properly.

Advertisement