Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap insurance for provisional drivers licence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

It's not necessarily going to be insane dear, seeing as you're going as a named driver. It depends on your mothers track record, ncb, penalty points etc, seeing as she is the main driver. I've heard of plenty getting it for sub €800

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommyspiggy

I Have the problem tho, that she is more than likely going to use the no claims bonus on another car , so it would be fairly dearer then ? wouldnt then , otherwise she has full licence , ncb of 5yrs, etc . the quotes i was getting online , by just trying the online quote things was around 1500 (had to say i was 17 already , but that shouldnt matter should it no? )
    . thanks and without ncb it was around 2000 for both of us

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Walshey96

Cheers, guess thats best,ill spend a few hours phoning around, however no matter what way i look at it its going to be pretty deere . thanks

also,
    Anyone on here use boxymo or smartdriver ? would anyone recomned them ??

I'm using boxymo at the moment. I'm 17 myself and I got fully comp insurance for €1800 on a 99 Nissan Micra.

Walshey96 wrote: »
    I'm using boxymo at the moment. I'm 17 myself and I got fully comp insurance for €1800 on a 99 Nissan Micra.

hi walshey , what liter car is that , and are they strict? i take it its all under your own name ya ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Walshey96

hi walshey , what liter car is that , and are they strict? i take it its all under your own name ya ? thanks

Its a 1 litre car. Haven't heard anything from them since I started my policy. Yeah it's all in my own name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread merged into Learner's Insurance thread

Ok lad thanks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Carefulnow11

was planning on buying myself a small car but i cant seem to find anywhere to insure me for under 4000. i only have a learner permit and am a young male so perhaps i should get my full licence first ? offer any advice on how you went about insuring your first car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Best advice I can give you is to go online and get the number of every insurance company you can think of. Make sure you have plenty of credit in your phone and a pen and paper. Online quotes aren't great when you are first starting out IMHO.

i made the calls today, best i could get was 3025 and that was after i get my full licence

• Advertisement

just got a quote for 1600 from boxymo with a full licence. delighted !

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

just got a quote for 1600 from boxymo with a full licence. delighted !

Once you have a full licence all insurance quotes should be halved, Mine was with AXA, out of all they gave me the best price first day, have you tried them ? its also worth ringing Chill Insurance, they went off and asked 8 insurance company's and came back to me with the best one, ( i rang them when my 1st year with AXA finished, im on my 2nd year now) and when chill got me the qoute i told AXA about it and they came down even more so i stayed with them,

im 21 with a 1.9 318 2001 BMW and my insurance is only 1200

i have a friend who got a quote of 1100 in a VW polo with a provisional licence, so shop around abit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

1) Insurance prices depend on the car too. Speaking from experience 1.7 turbo diesel BMW E36 or 1.6 petrol Honda Integra are much more expensive than a 1.6 Volkswagen Bora even though they are of similar age and the same engine capacity. If you haven't bought a car yet, I would suggest looking into something like a 1.0 or 1.4 Volkswagen Polo 1999-2002, 1.4 Volkswagen Golf 1999-2003 or a 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt 1999-2003.

2) Don't go with boxymo because they will be installing a box in your car which will track your speed, mileage, etc.

3) Try calling "cover in a click" and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

also see if you can put someone else on your insurance as a named 2nd driver, someone more experienced with a full licence should bring down your quote (it does with AXA anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

GvidoR wrote: »
    1) Insurance prices depend on the car too. Speaking from experience 1.7 turbo diesel BMW E36 or 1.6 petrol Honda Integra are much more expensive than a 1.6 Volkswagen Bora even though they are of similar age and the same engine capacity. If you haven't bought a car yet, I would suggest looking into something like a 1.0 or 1.4 Volkswagen Polo 1999-2002, 1.4 Volkswagen Golf 1999-2003 or a 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt 1999-2003.

2) Don't go with boxymo because they will be installing a box in your car which will track your speed, mileage, etc.

3) Try calling "cover in a click" and see what happens.

AXA also install the box, but its safe, it doesn't detect your speed, it just tracks how harsh the pedals are pressed etc, so if u go 125 kmh on a motorway they wont ring you to say you were speeding, it just gives you a score out of a 100 when you drive, 50 is average, im a terrible driver and i was able to get 89/100 overall score, im about 80 now though, been braking to much lately, but its great, it makes you drive and u know its there and you try beat the score you are on, also every 3 months they send you a 70 euro check, BPdiNwlCIAEKqa1.jpg:large

(This is with AXA, not sure if it is the same as Boxymo, it also knocks i think 20% off the insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hi,
    I'm a 19 year old, female, third level student driver with a newly renewed learners permit.
    I'm currently completing the required 12 driving lessons, but want to get insured for the time being so as I can practice in between.
    I really don't know where to start looking, and I'm hoping someone might know a good company to go with.
    I'm looking for something cheap, and I'm not sure if it's possible but 6 months insurance would be ideal, as I will be out of the country after September until December.
    If it's relevant, the car I would be insured on is a 01 For Focus, Petrol, 1.4, with an estimated value of €1,500.
    Any help much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The best thing to do is take out the phone book and just ring around and get quotes that's the only way to get the best deal. I suppose start with the big companies allianz, fbd, liberty, axa etc etc. I find fbd good for young drivers so id start with them. it would obviously be cheaper to wait until you pass your test but I know its handy to have a car to practice in. Also bear in mind you have to have a fully qualified driver with you in the car at all times.you can only take out car insurance for a year but can cancel it but there will be charges so ie if you cancel it half way through you will not get 50% of the cost of the premium back. best of luck with searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a 19 year old, female, third level student driver with a newly renewed learners permit.
    I'm currently completing the required 12 driving lessons, but want to get insured for the time being so as I can practice in between.
    I really don't know where to start looking, and I'm hoping someone might know a good company to go with.
    I'm looking for something cheap, and I'm not sure if it's possible but 6 months insurance would be ideal, as I will be out of the country after September until December.
    If it's relevant, the car I would be insured on is a 01 For Focus, Petrol, 1.4, with an estimated value of €1,500.
    Any help much appreciated!

fbd castlebar for a start

Thanks for the advice.
    My parents have been on contact with a broker who contacted some of the major companies, and couldn't find anything remotely reasonable.
    Hopefully I'll come across something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

biohaiid wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.
    My parents have been on contact with a broker who contacted some of the major companies, and couldn't find anything remotely reasonable.
    Hopefully I'll come across something.

It's always going to be high your a learner seen as high risk. You could get one of your parents to insure the car and you go on as a named driver should cause the cost to go down a bit but maybe you don't want to go down that road.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    It's always going to be high your a learner seen as high risk. You could get one of your parents to insure the car and you go on as a named driver should cause the cost to go down a bit but maybe you don't want to go down that road.

No that's what they were looking at, but even then it seems to be crazy expensive.
    Nothing less than €1500 anyway I think they said.
    If I can't get something much cheaper than that I'll have to wait until next year I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Hi,
    I am a 21 year old lad and got my first ever insurance policy with Axa on their student first policy. Just give that a quick google and fill in the form for an online quote. Then give them a ring and you'll probably get it cheaper. I got my insurance for 1300 for the year. Mind you I am 2 years older and my car is only a 1 litre. Worth a shot tho.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

When listed with my Dad(now Resting in Peace) on his own car before I saved and bought my own, I was paying pittence. Yeah I was paying in & around 1100euro for my car insurance on provisional licence in my own car though.

Be mindful of your insurance though especially with Axa. If involved in an accident as a learner driver with Axa and out driving on your own, then you are not covered by your insurance regardless of the monies you are paying them.

Don't be afraid to ask around for quotes.

Read the fine-print & ask questions before you part with your monies,
    kerry4sam

/yeah I am aware Learner Drivers are not supposed to be out driving on their own too begin with, just something to be mindful of though.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

I agree there Triple-M.

Anyone any idea on this Aviva free 6 month insurance deal when you go with their driving lessons? Since you have to pay a full year, will they rip you off for the 6 months that won't be free?

Thanks,

Curtis
    You dont pay for a full year. Its only 6 months insurance with a named driver. Its included as part of buying lessons with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Wondering if there are any companies that are good for insuring girls who are first time drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PYRAS13

Just try as many you can. I don't think there is specific Company for girls. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Insurance companies can no longer rate based on gender so there are none that are specifically better priced for females.

Try them all. Ring them all!! Its the only way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Insurance companies can no longer rate based on gender so there are none that are specifically better priced for females.

Try them all. Ring them all!! Its the only way!!
    It's for women.ie advertise gender based insurance so will try them first

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

BengaLover wrote: »
    It's for women.ie advertise gender based insurance so will try them first

They are merely a broker that target a female audience, but they don't offer females premiums that are better than males. That is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

BengaLover wrote: »
    Wondering if there are any companies that are good for insuring girls who are first time drivers.

When first starting to drive, I was insured with Axa on my Loving Dads car. When I purchased my own first car I remained with Axa and years later, still with Axa. Just found them great starting out and out of loyalty I remained on.

Probably will be changing though next time my insurance is up for renewal as I'm hearing great news about brokers getting better quotes.

Perhaps speak with a broker and also try Axa yourself.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement