Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours because a moderator disagrees with my definition of rape

Options
  • 13-07-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

After Julian Assange was arrested for having sex with a Swedish woman in her sleep, George Galloway, a member of the British parliament, referred to the event as a case of 'poor sexual etiquette'. He disagreed that it was rape. I also disagree that it was rape, and was dismayed to find that anybody who agreed with Galloway was pilloried. I think it's important to have a discussion about what constitutes rape, and how far it too far when it comes to prosecuting men for the crime.

I'm dismayed to now find that this extremism had spread across the Irish sea. I started a forum about a man who was prosecuted for having sex with his girlfriend in her sleep. I happen to think classifying this as rape is incorrect. In my view, it is a disagreement about boundaries that should be dealt with between the people in the relationship. I don't think fondling your wife's breasts while she's asleep is rape, for example, even though the article I cited stated that he 'touched' her in her sleep as if it were a part of the crime being discussed.

So I started a thread which stating I think the girl is wrong in this case. I think it's a valid opinion, and one which is at least partly shared by a British MP. So I think it'd valid to discuss it, even if 95% of people disagree. So why, then, have I not only had the thread closed, but been banned from the forum for expressing an opinion? I simply can't imagine that expressing an opinion about what constitutes murder in controversial cases would result in the same action. I think boards.ie is let down by moderators who seek to stifle debate on certain issues because of media-driven hysteria.

I was also told 'don't ever post about rape again if you want to continue to be allowed to post here', which is a ridiculous example of somebody throwing their weight around. The moderator specifically told me that he closed the thread because he disagrees with me on the definition of rape, which is an admission of the weakness of his position in my eyes.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you think that it's OK to have sex with someone without their consent, then being banned from discussing the topic here is the least of your problems.

I'm not entertaining this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement