Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singled out and no rules broken, unequal moderation

Options
  • 30-07-2015 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

There is a very long thread in Accommodation & Property detailing a noise issue and I have been posting on it since the thread was started.

As its a long thread there are instances of posters coming on and saying "Why dont you do X" - when its already been addressed (several times) that X was tried and didnt work.

A poster suggested in post #614 that the OP try PRTB - something that has been referenced several times in the thread. The poster said in the same post that they hadnt read the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96403870&postcount=614
    dieseldog wrote: »
    I haven't read all of the previous pages of posts, but has the OP contacted or gone to the PRTB regarding this?

You can write to the management company (OMC) as much as you like, but the issue is between you and the offending unit. This is a matter for the PRTB and not the OMC. The OMC also cannot force an owner to install new floorings etc as this is private property.

Also, regarding getting onto a Board of Director's to push your own agenda is not an ideal or professional idea.

I then posted this (with the above post quoted):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96404056&postcount=616
    MrWalsh wrote: »
    Why dont you read the thread?

The trust don't qualify as landlords under the RTA2004 and the OP can't resort to making a third party complaint through the PRTB.

Its been stated multiple times. You can use the search thread function to find it.

The first sentence is in response to the person stating they had not read the thread, I was simply asking them why they didnt read it (in a milder tone than "Oh for gods sake, why are you making suggestions that have already been suggested without reading the thread!).

Then I explained what has been explained numerous times.

And finally, trying to be helpful (as the poster had a low post count) I mentioned the search function. I see posters on boards.ie daily being helpful to each other and telling how to do things or use the site effectively - I do not see how this can possibly be considered back seat moderation?

I genuinely do not see anything wrong with this post.

The moderator Athtransa then gave me a Yellow tag and I got a pm saying that I was being warned for Back Seat Moderation.

Unfortunately it seems the site does not save my sent messages (is there some setting I am missing?) but in a nutshell, I pm'd the moderator, explaining that I was not trying to back seat moderate as above. I asked the warning be removed.

The moderator did not reply for more than 24 hours so I pm'd again.

In the next reply there was a snippy remark about mods being volunteers. Then the mod insisted that the yellow card was about me giving instructions to the poster to read the thread and use the search function.
    And also mentioned that a yellow card is "just" a warning.

I did reply but no response.

I have a problem with this because;
    (a) I did not issue any instructions at all.
    (b) A warning is a blot on your record and I always see posts in DRP where a users entire posting history is used against them and warnings are counted as bad things.
    (b) In the SAME thread there are a number of instances where posters say "Read the Thread" yet none of them have received warnings, only I have been singled out.

I feel that I did not break any rules and the moderator is not willing to admit that they were wrong.

Its totally unfair that there is now a yellow mark on my record because that would be viewed negatively if someone else looked at my account. But I didnt break any rules.

Even if the moderator was right, and you agree that I broke rules, why is the moderation being applied unequally and why am I being singled out when there have been many other instances of the EXACT same thing on that thread with no other warnings issued?

Here are examples, from the same thread:

post #167
    SteM wrote: »
    You should really read the full thread.

post #116
    have you even read the thread?

post #360
    New Home wrote: »
    Well, if you read this thread from the start you'll find out why. :)

post #488
    There are too many people skipping to the end of this thread and asking the same questions or making the same suggestions. Please, read the whole thing before you comment!

^ This one is even thanked by the same mod who issued me the warning for saying to read the thread! So why is it ok for four other posters to say "Read the Thread" and not get warned, and then for one to say it and and be thanked by the same moderator who then warned me for saying it?

I do not know how to find out who a Category Mod of the Accommodation & Property forum is and I am aware that DRP is not to dispute warnings so I was not sure where else to post this.

Sorry also that I do not have the pm's I send, I am sure the moderator can put them up for all to see that I was not rude or anything about it, I simply want to be treated fairly and not have an unfair yellow mark on my record.

Can someone please review?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi
    I am looking into this for you and have the PMs from the mod in question

Please bear with me

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Thanks bluewolf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi

I have read the PMs and the posts in the thread and I am recommending the warning be overturned. While I understand how it could be read in such a tone, I think it was posted out of frustration on a long thread where things can get lost.
    I'll get that in motion now.

Just as a side note in future if this comes up again can I ask you to have a little patience with giving mods time to come back to you. We can be caught up with real life and can't always reply within a day or so but it doesn't mean you're being ignored :)

Cheers
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Thanks bluewolf.

Is there any facility whereby someone who has pm'd mods knows if the messages have been seen at all?

In the above situation it's been going on since last Tuesday, I had to send 7 different pm's, write the very detailed post above and wait nearly 5 days for the issue to be addressed.

Appreciate you are busy of course but it feels like quite an arduous process and a lot of the stress would be avoided if you just knew that your pm's were being seen.

In fairness, you didn't strictly need to send 7 PMs given you waited less than 24h for responses before sending more.

However now that you know you can dispute warnings in here, you will be able to shorten the process in future, should it arise, by engaging in a dialogue with the mod firstly, then coming straight to DRP as the next step should the PMs with the mod fail to resolve the issue.

I think there is a read receipt function though I'm not sure how useful it is.
    That's something you could post in feedback maybe as a general point.

I'll go ahead and have this marked as resolved now.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement