Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asafa Powell and Mutaz Essa Barshim to compete at AIT Athlone Grand Prix

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Any time for Mad Len in the mile? From the coverage i recorded on Sky, it looked a complete shambles from start to finish.

I was at the meet last year when the Eaton's were the main event and it ran smoothly from what i saw. Kelly Proper was treated the way she should be & received a great reception all night from the crowd.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

4.11 I think was what I saw, will try and find that picture of the results on twitter

edit: 4:11.73

all the times and result http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/newsevents/pressreleases/2015pressreleases/title-29636-en.html

4.11 I think was what I saw, will try and find that picture of the results on twitter

all the times and result http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/newsevents/pressreleases/2015pressreleases/title-29636-en.html

He obviously blew up, from 2nd through half way to 2nd last at the finish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ó Lionáird stepped into the futuristic Athlone arena aiming to become the first man to break the four minute mile in Ireland, but ran out of gas on the final two laps.

The Corkman held second place behind American Ben Blankenship with two laps remaining, though was unable to stick the pace and eventually finished in tenth position.

“Something is just off,” admitted Ó Lionáird afterwards. “I’m not sure what it is, maybe it’s coming down from altitude, but it’s just not there at the moment.”

“I’ll have to make my mind up on the National Championships,” added Ó Lionáird, who has until Sunday to qualify for next month’s European Indoor Championships.

“Not much can change over just two days,” explained Ó Lionáird. “I’ll have to talk it over with my coach and decide what to do.”

From BreakingNews

From BreakingNews

Should that read atitude rather than altitude i wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Strange one from O'Lionaird. That's 2 races in a row now that he's blew up in, well he dropped out of the last one. His training partner Blankenship has being hitting PBs since their stint in Flagstaff but obviously it hasn't had the same effect on Ciaran. He needs to have a good year this year too, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

COL was a strange one, didn't look to tie up in the body but just simply looked to slow to a jog (only fell off Blakenship in the last 400m)

Regarding the altitude I would be very surprised if that was the case given that he has a history with that sort of stuff at NOP with his apartment being set up to simulate altitude conditions.

when has in the college however had respiratory issues so maybe there might be something going on but either way it looked quite unusual.

60m was also a bit of a joke the womens final was cancelled, ordered to re-run and then cancelled after the men fault started for second time. Even after the second time of restart looking at the feed it was apparent nobody told the athletes warming up.

Despite some negatives however there was a huge amount of positives from this meet and crowd looked to be getting behind the buzz of Barshim, top talent and great to see a headliner not try and phone in a performance.

Also great to see an athletics meet sold out and packed to the rafters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hmmm I'm pretty sure neither I, nor any others in my training group, ran last night. Those are the results from AAI Games, at least some of them are anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good bits:
    2.41 Asian record from Barshim
    Irish junior record by Zac Irwin 6.80 (tbc)
    First sub4 mile indoors in Ireland
    Full house and good atmosphere

Bad bits:
    Asafa and Carmelita - better if they were not invited
    Amateurish organisation - timing, scheduling, no results etc
    No online coverage and TV cutting in middle of mile race

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »

Funny thing is I got frustrated with the online stream and gave up and signed up to Flotrack pro, who were using a feed from IrishTV. Mile popped back up straight after credit reel. and got the mens 60 as well but it is strange that they can't support their own streaming but a 3rd provider can.

For anyone who missed the action they did a review

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/252122-AIT-Grand-Prix-2015/article/29963-Barshim-Leaps-New-Asian-Record-241m-in-Ireland#.VOWlhvl_t0Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good bits:
    2.41 Asian record from Barshim
    Irish junior record by Zac Irwin 6.80 (tbc)
    First sub4 mile indoors in Ireland
    Full house and good atmosphere

Bad bits:
    Asafa and Carmelita - better if they were not invited
    Amateurish organisation - timing, scheduling, no results etc

In fairness having it clashing with champions league football, it was never going to be live on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did Basil Fawlty organize this meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

In fairness having it clashing with champions league football, it was never going to be live on tv.

It was live on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm pretty sure neither I, nor any others in my training group, ran last night. Those are the results from AAI Games, at least some of them are anyway!

It seems they just appended the results to the end of that page. Very amateurish for an Institute of Technology. Not a good advertisement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Amateur hour...I'm not a negative person in the slightest but last night came across as a shambles on TV. Cathal Dennehy from Jumping the Gun sums it up nicely in this mornings article and then to top it off they can't even produce the results in a professional manner. One positive though is that I ran at the AAI Games and therefore (according to AIT) I've competed in the same meet as Barshim, Jeter etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

ECOLII wrote: »
    Funny thing is I got frustrated with the online stream and gave up and signed up to Flotrack pro, who were using a feed from IrishTV. Mile popped back up straight after credit reel. and got the mens 60 as well but it is strange that they can't support their own streaming but a 3rd provider can.

It was the hosting site for the streaming that was the problem, Flotrack had enough bandwidth to support the demand, but whover that crowd was, they didn't. Coverage should have been done by the JTG crew with aertv, and streamed on youtube, they've done a good job in the past with the AAI games and other events.

The whole thing just screamed amateurism. That timing system needs to be sorted out, it's beyond a joke at this stage.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    It was live on TV.

Ok main stream tv with a proper setup, not a mickey mouse production on a mickey mouse channel

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Amateur hour...I'm not a negative person in the slightest but last night came across as a shambles on TV. Cathal Dennehy from Jumping the Gun sums it up nicely in this mornings article and then to top it off they can't even produce the results in a professional manner. One positive though is that I ran at the AAI Games and therefore (according to AIT) I've competed in the same meet as Barshim, Jeter etc.

Congratulations and make sure you get a copy of the results and frame it for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

In the mile race, did either of the irish guys go sub 4 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

emerald007 wrote: »
    In the mile race, did either of the irish guys go sub 4 mins?

Only the winner was Sub-4. All of the Irish guys were well outside.

1 653 Ben Blankenship 3:56.75
    2 654 Andreas Bueno 4:02.32
    3 651 Danny Mooney 4:03.88
    4 656 Mark Nouws 4:04.08
    5 652 Joe Warne 4:04.30
    6 650 Conor Bradley 4:05.33
    7 657 John Travers 4:05.43
    8 647 Eoin Everard 4:05.87
    9 655 James O'Hare 4:08.68
    10 648 Ciaran O’Lionard 4:11.73
    11 649 John Coghlan 4:14.64
    779 Darragh Green DNF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ECOLII wrote: »

For anyone who missed the action they did a review

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/252122-AIT-Grand-Prix-2015/article/29963-Barshim-Leaps-New-Asian-Record-241m-in-Ireland#.VOWlhvl_t0Q

See Niall Tuohy is knocking on the door for the European Indoors 800m qualifying time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

menoscemo wrote: »
    Barshim just flew over 2:41, going for an indoor WR next!!

All comers record?

YFlyer wrote: »
    All comers record?

Asian and All comers records

Advertisement