Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed [Bora start up]

• 09-10-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

My Bora would not start on Monday and I got it jumped thinking that maybe I had left a light on. Tuesday was grand, no problems. However yesterday it would not start again so I brought it to a local garage and they said it is most likely the battery. They put a new one in at a cost of €95 and the car started fine.

However, this morning on the way to work I got the message 'alternator workshop' on the dash and this came and went intermittently. I have just got to work and I parked the car up and then tried to start it again and it wont start at all.

What should I do? I live in Westmeath and work in Dublin (where I am now) and I need to do something about this today. Should I get it jumped and bring it to a local garage in the hope that they can do something today? Or should I take the day off work and bring it back to Westmeath to the guys yesterday?

Also, they charged me €95 for a new battery when it does not seem to be the problem at all. Do I have any comeback?

So annoyed now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

How old was the battery? If it was 5-10 years old you probably needed a new one anyway. Nonetheless I'd bring it back to the people who looked at it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sounds like a new alternator would be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

sounds like your altinator isn't charging the battery so obviously the mechanic didnt check the charge rate after fitting the new battery, some places do and some dont. If the battery was in anyway old just leave it.
    Dont bother trying to take the car back to WestMeath, just source a garage close to you that can supply and fit a replacement alternator today. Where are you in Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

from martin1810 on another forum
    This can be a hint that the alternator pulley clutch is about to fail or the belt tensioner is getting faulty

So looks like battery not your issue, as said above, itmay need to have nbeen changed anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

If you get the car back to Westmeath there is a guy called Curly Wallace in Mullingar. He refurbs alternators for about 70 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

The clutch goes in the boras pulley quite a bit.
    It's either that or it could be as simple as a bad belt??

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

So I brought it back to the Garage and they said it is definitely the alternator. I left it with them and they are going to take it out and send it to a crowd in Tullamore who might be able to fix it or source a refurbed one. I asked them about a reduction in price because I paid for the battery yesterday and they said that they will do their best.

Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully the cost should not be too much.

If they had done their job and checked the charge coming from the alternator the first time it wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If the fault was/is intermitant it's feasable that it may have read as charging when tested

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If the fault was/is intermitant it's feasable that it may have read as charging when tested

True too in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

My sons Bora had same problem last week with 180,000 miles clocked up.I unplugged the lead from the alternator and checked the output pins of the alternator with a multimeter and only got 6.5 volts dc.Took it to my local mechanic who said i should be getting 14.6 volts. He gave the alternator to a local guy for reconditioning and everything is fine now.Glad you got yours sorted too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

huggs2 wrote: »
    My sons Bora had same problem last week with 180,000 miles clocked up.I unplugged the lead from the alternator and checked the output pins of the alternator with a multimeter and only got 6.5 volts dc.Took it to my local mechanic who said i should be getting 14.6 volts. He gave the alternator to a local guy for reconditioning and everything is fine now.Glad you got yours sorted too.:)

I'm not an autoelectrician so I might be wrong but don't you need a load on the alternator to test it?

I've always tested mine by checking the voltage across the battery, somewhere about 13.5-14.5v when engine running and able to maintain that when things like lights, HRS and blowers are operating

Edit...

Found this

Advertisement