Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ag. Science *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Something like that. There needs to be more punk farmers I think. :p
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7jE1LOVMzc0/RaGzLSjgL1I/AAAAAAAAAAg/nOOrITvxloE/s320/Punk%2BFarm.jpg :cool:

I'm not from a farming background, and I think that makes me hate the subject even more. Can I ask, what made you go into teaching it? The syllabus is yonks old, one average revision book, terrible text book and they can decide to ask you anything in the exam. The project is a bit of a disaster and basically plagiarism of somebody from last years work :p

WHY?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Healium wrote: »
    You...mean...there's more than one female farmer in Ireland?
    Ooooohh!! ... you do like to live dangerously, don't you?! :eek:

Do these get mentioned on the AgSci course?! :pac:
    I'm not from a farming background, and I think that makes me hate the subject even more. Can I ask, what made you go into teaching it?
    Slightly more seriously ... given that, what made you take the subject for LC?

Ooooohh!! ... you do like to live dangerously, don't you?! :eek:

Slightly more seriously ... given that, what made you take the subject for LC?
    At the time of subject choices, I was considering going into medicine. I moved to a new school and they don't offer biology (I know!). Aggers would have covered me for it, but now I'd never go into medicine :p I absolutely despise the subject, but it forces me to learn everything and I usually get an A in it. Although, I got 67% in the mocks and tha was the highest in the class :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7jE1LOVMzc0/RaGzLSjgL1I/AAAAAAAAAAg/nOOrITvxloE/s320/Punk%2BFarm.jpg :cool:

I'm not from a farming background, and I think that makes me hate the subject even more. Can I ask, what made you go into teaching it? The syllabus is yonks old, one average revision book, terrible text book and they can decide to ask you anything in the exam. The project is a bit of a disaster and basically plagiarism of somebody from last years work :p

WHY?!

It was part of my course, I had no choice. Everyone had to do Biology and Ag Science and either Physics or Chemistry. I wanted to teach Chem/Bio, Ag was just an extra and that's where I ended up mainly. I do understand where you're coming from if you're not from a farming background, I was the only city person in the class in college so when we started Agriculture lectures I was the class idiot as I knew nothing, and the lecturer took a perverse pleasure in asking me questions that he knew I wouldn't be able to answer to make me look stupid, but I learned and got on alright in the end.

The course needs a MAJOR overhaul, it won't happen any time in the next 5 years I'd imagine (10 if we're lucky), the material is way out of date and some of the topics asked on the exam (HL) are at best questionable. There was a question on the Economic Breeding Index last year, and while I'd have the knowledge on it, I've never taught that to any of my classes and was surprised to see it. So I've added that to my list of things to do in class. But that's not the way a syllabus should evolve or be tested. It's not fair on students or teachers. Particularly students who are not from a farming background and are relying on what they learn in class and not their farming background.

There are no new books because the companies won't publish because they wouldn't make enough profit, that might change with the rise in numbers taking the subject.

And while you might not like the subject now, you might think differently the next time you are out the country (if you don't live there already) and you look into a field and you are able to identify the cattle/sheep breeds in the field and you know what a creep feeder looks like or you know why the cattle and sheep are in the same field, or you see a piece on the news (like in January during the snow) and understand why the potatoes could not be harvested - obviously because of the weather - but also because that's the time of year they would have been harvested.

My city view of farming changed rapidly when I started learning in college, up till then I hadn't thought about it very much because it wasn't part of my life, I didn't know any farmers and had never been on a farm. Cows were brown, black or white, I never considered that cattle would be bred exclusively for meat or milk or even that there were loads of different breeds (I wouldn't have been able to name anything beyond Friesans or Jerseys), despite the fact that no one bats an eyelid at the existance of different dog breeds, but assume all cattle and sheep are the same. As far as I was concerned lambs were born in spring (along with the daffodils and snowdrops coming out) and I never considered why this was the case when all other animal young (including humans) could be born at any time of the year. Lots of food for thought. :)

I like to give them an oul' mention and explain how they are used. You tube is great for that kind of stuff! Lots of horrified lads the day I show those videos!

• Advertisement

For the sake of our urban friends who still like to believe that eggs are manufactured in a factory and that foals are found nestled in the corner of a stable on the 1st of February every year, I've edited that picture out! :P

I've met plenty of students who think silage and slurry are the same thing!

Vaccinate, castrate, dock tail. I've shown this one a few times in class. A lot of students find it quite shocking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGdSmoqTY8

I've met plenty of students who think silage and slurry are the same thing!

Vaccinate, castrate, dock tail. I've shown this one a few times in class. A lot of students find it quite shocking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGdSmoqTY8
    That's not as bad as the video we saw of the bull getting castrated....
    The "castrator" (???) made a big clipping noise, and everyone in class just jumps back and goes "OHHHHHHHH!" [all-male school :p ]

I like to give them an oul' mention and explain how they are used. You tube is great for that kind of stuff! Lots of horrified lads the day I show those videos!
    And a lot of lassies getting a night off, I'd say.
    Ahaha! You'd swear you never saw a soft case of prolapse vagina ;)
    Oh, I've seen prolapsed uteruses (uteri?) and seen them dealt with too ... I suspect however that that pic would be enough to send many boardsies to their beds with nightmares.

Hmmm ... question for you (both? :P) ... what ordinary kitchen condiment did farmers once swear by as an aid to treating the condition?
    Sure its only normal, everything falls out now and then.... Just pop it back in and she'll be grand!
    Hmmm ... but I'm sure the girls are wondering why it falls out so easily ... >_>

Anyway ... back to AgSci!! :pac:

Oh, I've seen prolapsed uteruses (uteri?) and seen them dealt with too ... I suspect however that that pic would be enough to send many boardsies to their beds with nightmares.

Hmmm ... question for you (both? :P) ... what ordinary kitchen condiment did farmers once swear by as an aid to treating the condition?

Hmmm ... but I'm sure the girls are wondering why it falls out so easily ... >_>

Kitchen condiment? Ketchup! Catsup? Ket...suuuup? MUSTARD!

Don't be naive, ladies! That's a normal side-effect of giving birth ;) :pac:

By the way, you shall be referred to as RandyShortHornCattle in this thread :)

:D

Parsley I think.

• Advertisement

Kitchen condiment? Ketchup! Catsup? Ket...suuuup? MUSTARD!
    Parsley I think.
    Nope and nope.

Sugar / sugar solution was often used in the days before vets were affordable / equipped with modern drugs to reduce a swollen prolapsed uterus (principle of osmosis) to make re-insertion easier.

As recently as ~10 years ago, I can remember an old farmer muttering when he saw his vet's bill that "sugar was a hell of a lot cheaper!"
    Don't be naive, ladies! That's a normal side-effect of giving birth ;) :pac:
    Ah right, blame the wimmen for your own shortcomings ... :p
    By the way, you shall be referred to as RandyShortHornCattle in this thread :)
    Well, as I've wandered around Boards for a month under the name ImpotentNoHorn courtesy of an admin / site developer who was overly soaked in the Christmas spirit one night, and subsequently forgot all about it the next morning ... I'm sure I'll survive! :p
    I am EXTREMELY interested to know how parsley re-inserts a vagina :pac: Please, do explain :D
    Well, I'd try it quicker than mustard ... :p

But I can't say that one rings a bell here either ... :confused:

Nope and nope.

Sugar / sugar solution was often used in the days before vets were affordable / equipped with modern drugs to reduce a swollen prolapsed uterus (principle of osmosis) to make re-insertion easier.

Well, I'd try it quicker than mustard ... :p

But I can't say that one rings a bell here either ... :confused:

Very interesting. Parsley I think is supposed to be good for labour pains, muscles etc so I took a guess that it might be right. Obviously not.:D

Parsley I think is supposed to be good for labour pains, muscles etc so I took a guess that it might be right.
    Just looking it up there, it's meant to stimulate uterine contractions, so might be a tad counter-productive ... :D

I have no idea how effective it is for that purpose, can't say I've heard that one before, but certainly though many herbal / natural remedies had sense to them and many were used as the basis for more "refined" medical and vet. products.

Just looking it up there, it's meant to stimulate uterine contractions, so might be a tad counter-productive ... :D

I have no idea how effective it is for that purpose, can't say I've heard that one before, but certainly though many herbal / natural remedies had sense to them and many were used as the basis for more "refined" medical and vet. products.

Ya I didn't check it up when I posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

In the oral, would the examiner ask you to identify various arthropoda? Is/not would they ask you questions on them e.g. about lungs worms, stomach worms etc?

theowen wrote: »
    In the oral, would the examiner ask you to identify various arthropoda?

yes, it's any animal of agricultural importance and you have to be able to state their importance not just name them. you have to be able to identify 7 such animals, they're not all going to be arthropoda so if you name lungworms you should be able to say something about them, otherwise a student could effectively just rattle off a list of insects and have no understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

yes, it's any animal of agricultural importance and you have to be able to state their importance not just name them. you have to be able to identify 7 such animals, they're not all going to be arthropoda so if you name lungworms you should be able to say something about them, otherwise a student could effectively just rattle off a list of insects and have no understanding.
    Thanks. I was trying, in vain, to cut down my revision. One more:)

How do you tell the difference between a Belclare, Texel and a Charolais? I can't find anything about them regarding distinguishable features.

Am I leaving any breeds out that I could be asked to identify?: Scottish blackface, welsh mountiain. wicklow cheviot, kerry hill, welsh mountain, charolois, suffolk, belclare, texel.

Wheat vs barley? Is there anyway to tell them apart?

Lamph wrote: »
    hmmm, people are asking about what pictures of plants / animals need to go into their portfolios...

However my understanding is that NO plant or animal identification stuff needs to go into that portfolio!

The requirements clearly state that:-
    (2) the Practical experience... and
    (3) the investigations
    ...need to be recorded.

There is nothing in the guidelines that says there needs to be any written record at all of category (1) indentification.

Surely the identification is something your teacher has graded based on an oral examination... and the 20 marks available for that section are based purely on the teacher's grade without any written record to corroborate that grade. The people whpo get picked for the interrogation by an external examiner should get their mark adjusted depending on how well they respond to the interrogation...

...am I wrong about this?
    ...Because my interrogation is Wednesday, there are only 3 Ag Sci students in the school. I am guaranteed to be picked for interrogation, and I have NOTHING in my portfolio on identification. I was told I didn't need to put it in. -God knows that portfolio is long enough without it!!!

Can anyone clear this up? :confused:

You're quite correct Lamph, you don't need to put pictures of animals and plants in your portfolio, so no need to panic. Some teachers get their classes to do it so they will learn them and as you said you will be assessed by the external examiner on Wednesday and they will ask you to identify plants and animals from a selection.

...Try not to look at it as an interrogation and more as an informal chat, it's not going to be as bad as you think

theowen wrote: »
    Thanks. I was trying, in vain, to cut down my revision. One more:)

How do you tell the difference between a Belclare, Texel and a Charolais? I can't find anything about them regarding distinguishable features.

Am I leaving any breeds out that I could be asked to identify?: Scottish blackface, welsh mountiain. wicklow cheviot, kerry hill, welsh mountain, charolois, suffolk, belclare, texel.

Wheat vs barley? Is there anyway to tell them apart?

Wheat looks like the symbol on the Weetabix logo :D

You will generally be shown a selection of pictures and asked to identify the ones you know. Examiners are not there to catch you out on the finer points of sheep identification.

tictac__x wrote: »
    Hey I just have a few questions about the ag science oral:)
    Ours is taking place on Wednesday, theres 9 in our class so its quite likely I could get called in:eek: Anyway, its just the project work that is being examined is it? Also I notice in a few posts back, rainbow trout mentioned that our experiments will be examined?! I don't remember our teacher mentioning this! Generally are students asked about the experiments in general? Thanks!:pac:

Yes the experiments will be examined. They make up 45/100 of the marks on offer.

• Advertisement

tictac__x wrote: »
    Any one have tips on answering question 9's, biological explanation question? I read its a popular question but often badly answered by students, any tips?:P:confused:

You are quite correct. It's either answered very well or very poorly. Look at each statement and change it into a question beginning with the word 'Why?' then answer the question. A lot of students talk all around the point, but completely miss it.

Also the scientific explanations have been repeated over the years, so perhaps if you have a bit of time go back through the papers and write down a list and mark the ones that have come up several times. Go to the marking schemes and get the accepted answers for them. Learn them. At this stage that is what you need.

Also give at least three relevant points for full marks, more if you can. On some of the older marking schemes you will see marks were given for only 2 revelant points but that has changed to three points over the years.

Sample Question: Give a scientific explanation for the following:

The wilting of sugar beet tops before feeding them to cattle.

Answer: Sugar beet tops contain oxalic acid. Oxalic acid causes scour in cattle. Wilting them reduces the levels of oxalic acid making them safe to eat.

You do not need to explain what wilting is. It is a waste of time.

Keen2win wrote: »
    I was wondering if it's alright for three people to do their project on the same farm? They will be handed to the same teacher.

Yes, that's no problem at all as you will be writing up your own experience. Just don't be lazy and all three of you go out with one camera and take photos and then just get copies and all use the same. Plenty of students don't have access to farms - particularly in Dublin and the whole class is brought say to the UCD teaching/research farm and everyone does their project on it. It's fine once you are not copying someone else's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭seanyfarrell

for the last 2 years ive been trying to learn the Phylums for animals and plants but............ its just not happening... anyone got any newmonics or something to remember these?

for the last 2 years ive been trying to learn the Phylums for animals and plants but............ its just not happening... anyone got any newmonics or something to remember these?

No easy way of learning them I'm afraid, none that I know of anyway.

What I normally do is I give my class a list of animals/plants and get them to fill in which phylum they come from. Then go back and fill in the ones they don't know after looking them up. They won't remember them by me telling them the answers. Rinse and repeat.

This would be a sample of what I do. By the time you've finished the list a couple of times you should know them:

Animals
    1. Aphid
    2. Babesia
    3. Bluebottle
    4. Cheviot
    5. Chicken
    6. Duck
    7. Earthworm
    8. Flea
    9. Friesian
    10. Goose
    11. Greenbottle
    12. Greenfly
    13. Hereford
    14. Hookworm
    15. Ladybird
    16. Landrace
    17. Large white
    18. Leather jacket
    19. Liver fluke
    20. Maggot
    21. Mange mite
    22. Mud snail
    23. Red spider mite
    24. Roundworm
    25. Slug
    26. Tapeworm
    27. Texel
    28. Tick
    29. Turkey

Plants

Apple
    Barley
    Beans
    Blackberry
    Broccoli
    Buttercup
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Cocksfoot
    Cow parsley
    Daisy
    Dandelion
    Dock leaf
    Garlic
    Italian ryegrass
    Maize
    Meadow fescue
    Meadow foxtail
    Oats
    Onion
    Pear
    Peas
    Perennial Ryegrass
    Potato
    Red clover
    Rice
    Strawberry
    Sugar beet
    Thistle
    Timothy
    Wheat
    White clover
    Wild carrot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Another good thing to work from is the characteristics of each phylum, for example I know that with regards to the family Compositae, a pretty big characteristic is flowerheads that look like this.
    Knowing this I can then work out that the sunflower is a member of this family.
    Another example would be the tapeworm, I know from looking at it first it is some form of worm, so either Platyhelminthes or Annelida, but I can cancel out Annelida as creatures from this phylum have a clitellum, or saddle.

I find the characteristics far easier to learn, and it also covers you for every eventuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

Hi,

In the oral, for plant identification, I was going to learn off a huge list of about 20 types of weeds and other plants. This seems very long to me but the reason I'm doing it is because I'm afraid I'll be asked to identify a plant that I've never seen before! Am I right in thinking like this? Or can the examiner just ask you the plants that you have identified in the project?

Also, my teacher brought us to a farm for our project but I also want to do my project partly on my uncle's farm. It would only be a little bit extra on dairying as the farm my teacher brought me to didn't have a dairying enterprise. Is this okay?

Just on last question! On the 2010 paper, a question on scutch grass came up. I hadn't met any explanation of this weed in my green book before and was wondering why the book doesn't go into detail on the different types of weed? What sort of weeds and their properties should we be aware of?

Thanks so much to anybody who can help!!!!!! :):):):):):)

MaighEoAbu wrote: »
    Hi,

In the oral, for plant identification, I was going to learn off a huge list of about 20 types of weeds and other plants. This seems very long to me but the reason I'm doing it is because I'm afraid I'll be asked to identify a plant that I've never seen before! Am I right in thinking like this? Or can the examiner just ask you the plants that you have identified in the project?

Also, my teacher brought us to a farm for our project but I also want to do my project partly on my uncle's farm. It would only be a little bit extra on dairying as the farm my teacher brought me to didn't have a dairying enterprise. Is this okay?

Just on last question! On the 2010 paper, a question on scutch grass came up. I hadn't met any explanation of this weed in my green book before and was wondering why the book doesn't go into detail on the different types of weed? What sort of weeds and their properties should we be aware of?

Thanks so much to anybody who can help!!!!!! :):):):):):)

Learn the plants and weeds your teachers tells you to learn. Your teacher will be putting out the plant selection on the day. If the teacher doesn't do it the examiner will bring their own. They will stick to the common ones.

Yes you can add in your own information on your uncle's dairy farm.

I think scutch might be listed in the list of grasses in Ch 19 of the green book. The green book is not the bible. Just because it's the main book it doesn't mean it covers everything on the syllabus.

I've said it before Textbook =/= Syllabus.

From the syllabus, to show you how vague it is:
    Identification of plants of agricultural importance in the school environment and study of characteristics and habitat.
    Principles of classification of plants. Ability to classify plants in at least six natural orders.

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/Post-Primary_Curriculum/Senior_Cycle_Curriculum/Leaving_Certificate_Established/Agricultural_Science/LC_Agricultural_Science.pdf

The book was printed in 1992 so it's out of date and it doesn't have information on everything that is being asked. Also because the syllabus is so vague lots of things are appearing on the paper which are not in the textbooks but could be asked under the guidelines of the syllabus.

E.g. Maize silage was asked this year. Silage is on the syllabus, cereals are on the syllabus. No specific cereal is mentioned so by that reckoning it should be allowed, but I don't know any book that contains information on maize or any teacher that teaches it. That will change in time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hey guys
    Repeating..
    Took on Ag science new this year..
    Thing is, our ag science teacher is somewhat a tyrant if im being honest.
    We were warned how intense the course would be and I accepted.
    But Im really stuck on Soils - confused - and she expects us to know the book by John Breen WORD FOR WORD??..Literally
    Thing is, the book doesnt even make sense. Like, Id enjoy physiology etc cause I like Bio but Soils is bogging me down!
    Any tips ? Any good site or notes online? etc! Thanks :)

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Repeating..
    Took on Ag science new this year..
    Thing is, our ag science teacher is somewhat a tyrant if im being honest.
    We were warned how intense the course would be and I accepted.
    But Im really stuck on Soils - confused - and she expects us to know the book by John Breen WORD FOR WORD??..Literally
    Thing is, the book doesnt even make sense. Like, Id enjoy physiology etc cause I like Bio but Soils is bogging me down!
    Any tips ? Any good site or notes online? etc! Thanks :)

Personally I find soils the most agonising part of the course to teach. Students find it boring, teaching it isn't much fun as there isn't a lot you can do to make it interesting ..not as cool or interesting as cows calving etc.

get yourself Rapid Revision Ag Science by Elaine Buckley Murphy (Folens). It'll cut out the waffle and tell you what you need to know for the most part.

The soil section in the green book is long and cumbersome. It can be easy to lose track of the sections and how they link together, but do make the effort because Q2 on the paper is a full question on soil every year and there is often an experiment as well in Q4, so worth a good few marks overall

I would suggest make out your own notes on the following topics:

Parent Rock Materials: A small grid with three types of rock (igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic, two example of each, one county in which each is found.

differences between basin and blanket peats, Bord na Mona have some good fact sheets and summary table of both.
    http://www.bnm.ie/corporate/index.jsp?&1nID=93&pID=102&nID=391

Physical and chemical weathering: know 3-4 examples of each.

Chapter 1 done.

Chapter 2 and 3 :

Properties of Soil: Physical, Chemical and Biological:

5 Physical: Texture, Structure, Air, Water, Temperature
    2 Chemical: pH, Cation Exchange Capacity
    1 Biological: Living Organisms

Also know Carbon Cycle and Nitrogen Cycle

Chapter 4

Know the different Soil horizons, leaching in horizon A and accumulation in horzion B.

be able to describe a podzol

Chapter 5: know the importance of Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus
    Liming and Soil Testing.

You will need to know the experiments for each as well, particularly in chapter 2 and 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

rainbowtrout, I'm just flying through I haven't checked the whole thread so feel free to tell me if you explained it before and I'll go looking for it.

Could you explain the formation of soil colloids? Especially with regard to the "polyvalent cations" and water matrix and all that? I do Chemistry but I actually can't understand what the book is on about! Or maybe you know somewhere that has good notes on it? The Rapid Revision doesn't cover it either...

Advertisement