Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car for approx 10K

• 24-02-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to buy a car for approximately 10K. Looking for;
    Low mileage.
    Newish (2008 onwards)
    Low tax.
    Good MPG.
    Reliable for at least +5 years more.
    Nice interior a must.
    Not a hatchback.
    Hybrid / Diesel (or straight petrol, if the MPG is good I suppose)

I'll be driving;
    100km per week of country roads
    500km per week of motorway
    Very little city driving.

I've had a look at a few different motors like;
    Civic hybrid
    Renault Fluence
    Citroen C5
    Ford Mondeo
    and more but I just can't decide what would be the best for me and my situation.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Anybody? I keep coming back to the Fluence as there are a lot of them around and the 2012's are just about in my price range. But I also love how different the Civic hybrid interior is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

People will try and warn you off the Renault but I've had a Fluence since 2012 and haven't had one ounce of trouble with it.
    Goodlooking car outside and nice interior imo, nice to drive, comfortable,and cheap to tax and run.
    I'd have no problem recommending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The Fluence is very bland and isn't very well equipped as standard. Think along the lines of passats, mondeos, insignias, accords. Could get a post 08 3 series for under 10k quite easily. All of the above are a major step above the 1.5 fluence.

I have an 02 3 series at the moment and love it but it's the fuel economy that's killing me.

Ok, I am just going to throw a few cars out there. I am looking for fuel efficiency and low(ish) tax.

09 Ford Mondeo Zetec
    50k miles. 1.8 diesel. Lovely interior.

09 Opel Insignia
    42.5k miles. 2.0 diesel. Lovely car externally. I don't think the pics do the interior justice.

09 Ford Mondeo
    67k miles. 2.0 diesel. Smashing interior again. Maybe I need a Mondeo.

10 Renault Fluence
    25k miles. 1.5 diesel. Nice interior compared to some other fluences about. Great mileage.

Is it possible to work out road tax easily these days?

Edit, I was able to find out the road tax for the two mondeos. The first was 280. The second was 750! Why the massive jump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That first mondeo is far overpriced for what it is, regardless of the low mileage, which has my eyebrows raised. You can check the tax rates of any car by popping the reg in here

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinforeg.do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Seat Leon 1.9 Tdi...?
    Nice car, very like a VW Golf but a lot cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

d31b0y wrote: »
    Ok, I am just going to throw a few cars out there. I am looking for fuel efficiency and low(ish) tax.

09 Ford Mondeo Zetec
    50k miles. 1.8 diesel. Lovely interior.

09 Opel Insignia
    42.5k miles. 2.0 diesel. Lovely car externally. I don't think the pics do the interior justice.

09 Ford Mondeo
    67k miles. 2.0 diesel. Smashing interior again. Maybe I need a Mondeo.

10 Renault Fluence
    25k miles. 1.5 diesel. Nice interior compared to some other fluences about. Great mileage.

Is it possible to work out road tax easily these days?

Edit, I was able to find out the road tax for the two mondeos. The first was 280. The second was 750! Why the massive jump?

Both Mondeos have different emissions which motor tax is now based on. The first has the old 1.8 litre and is manual, the second one is 2.0 litre and automatic. The early automatics had higher emissions hence higher motor tax.

But just the add, motor tax is not the end all and be all of running a car, people tend to focus too much on it when buying. Cars that cost more to tax tend to cost less to buy and vice versa.

Seat Leon 1.9 Tdi...?
    Nice car, very like a VW Golf but a lot cheaper to buy.
    Don't really want a hatch but that car looks pretty well. Might look into it further.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Both Mondeos have different emissions which motor tax is now based on. The first has the old 1.8 litre and is manual, the second one is 2.0 litre and automatic. The early automatics had higher emissions hence higher motor tax.

But just the add, motor tax is not the end all and be all of running a car, people tend to focus too much on it when buying. Cars that cost more to tax tend to cost less to buy and vice versa.

I guess I knew the reason (emissions), I was just shocked at the difference. Thanks for the info re auto / manual. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have an 02 3 series at the moment and love it but it's the fuel economy that's killing me.
    which engine, if its is any of the petrols, unless you have the 330 they are only 5 speed, 6 would be better for you as you do quite a bit of motorway driving...

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a 5 speed. Nearly pulled the trigger on that 1.8 deisel mondeo but it was snatched from under me at the last second.

Advertisement