Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert study advice

Options
  • 21-02-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys,

I am currently in 5th year and I have decided to start 'proper' studying after the midterm, as in to gain enough points for either Astrophysics (515 points) or Engineering (475 points) in UCD or TCD. My strongest subjects include Engineering (A1 november exams), Biology (A2) and Honours Maths (B1). I am also doing Russian for my LC as I am fluent and an 'A1' is very achievable in this exam from my point of view.

A subject that I am struggling with is Honours english. I got a D3 in my November exam. To be honest I really don't know where I went wrong. I used many quotes in my studied questions and as for the essay I wrote 2 pages and used many adjectives. I need a minimum of a C3 in English in order to get the course that I want to do.

In conclusion, could someone give me tips on how to get high grades in the following subjects (all honours):

Maths
    English
    Physics
    Engineering
    Biology
    Russian (if anyone here done Russian for the LC)

The leaving cert is very important to me and I hope to do well.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Remember the importance of quality rather than quantity of quotes in your English answers - every quote you use must be relevant and must enhance the answer! I've worked with students who honestly believed that throwing in a 'lump of quote' would net them lots of marks, but it's just not the case. Use quotes (mostly short ones) to support or 'back up' the point you are making; weave them into your answer so that it still 'flows'. Don't start a point/paragraph with a quote - start by making a statement, then use a quote to back it up/illustrate your point.
    Here's a great resource that explains how to write an essay on your single text - it's broken down, step by step.
    http://leavingcertenglish.net/2013/12/essay-writing-othello/
    I would recommend choosing one of your own single text answers and comparing it to this sample to get an idea of where you might be losing marks, then rewrite the answer using the guidelines. Ask your teacher to remark the essay and see if it helps.
    You mention that you don't know where you went wrong in your November exam - did you discuss it with your teacher? Most will be happy to sit down with an interested student and have a chat about how they can improve their work.
    Re the essay, there's more to it than writing 2 pages and using lots of adjectives! (Having said that, don't feel pressurised to write loads - if you feel you've answered the question well in those 2 pages, then you're right to stop!)
    Practice different essay types to find your strongest style - do you feel most confident writing a short story, an article, a speech, a talk, a personal essay? Make sure you know what's required of each type of answer in terms of format etc. There's a good guide to choosing your essay on page 8 of this link http://www.aoifesnotes.com/leaving-cert/ordinary-level/Paper-One/docs/composition/Essays%202014.pdf
    And here's a good guide to approaching Paper One
    http://www.leavingcertsolutions.com/mall/leavingcertsolutions/Downloads/Marking_Scheme_for_Higher_and_Ordinary_Level_leaving_cert.pdf
    I'd recommend leavingcertenglish.net in general, it's a fantastic site.
    Number one tip? Keep writing. Practice really helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Essays are generally 4-7 pages so two wouldn't have been enough in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Essays are generally 4-7 pages so two wouldn't have been enough in my opinion

As a general rule 2 pages wouldn't be seen as sufficient, but it's not cast in stone: in my own Leaving Cert English exam I wrote less than the recommended 4-7 pages (from memory I'd say 2.5 to 3 pages, average sized writing) and I got my A1, so I'd encourage students to try to flesh out their essay in order to give it length, but not to waffle or consciously keep writing on the day in an effort to 'stretch' it. The person marking your paper will be more interested in the quality of writing and the format, so don't get too hung up on the length of the piece.

Advertisement