Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding

• 10-10-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I was stopped for speeding by a garda and the garda took my licence and brought it back to her car and took details of it.
    She mentioned that I was speeding and that I was in the fast lane of a dual carriageway and that I only should be in the fast lane if I was over taking.
    Does anyone know if I will be done for speeding or dangerous driving?
    The garda only mentioned speeding.
    I would be grateful for any help on this as I'm very worried.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fast lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Does anyone know if I will be done for speeding or dangerous driving?

Definitely not dangerous driving, but you might get careless driving, or without due consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What speed were you doing and what was the speed limit in the area? It's highly unlikely you'll be charged with dangerous driving unless the manner of your driving put or was likely to have put other road users in danger. That is not something a Garda would forget to mention at the roadside. You'll get a fixed penalty notice for a speeding offence I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That you should not be in the overtaking lane isn't really an offence (although it may be offensive to people behind you :P).
    You might get a speeding ticket though, did she say anything to that effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    That you should not be in the overtaking lane isn't really an offence (although it may be offensive to people behind you :P).
    You might get a speeding ticket though, did she say anything to that effect?

Being in any lane other than the driving lane without a reason is a penalty point offence. I suspect the Garda will tot up the to offences and decide which to go for - speeding or inappropriate lane- or perhaps add them together to driving without due consideration or careless driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Well there is "Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road" (1 point, 60 quid fine). I suppose driving on "fast lane":D can be prosecuted under this.

Besides - this is only list of fixed penalty offences.
    Fact that something isn't listed there, doesn't meant it's not an offence.
    Anything which is against the law, is an offence AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will most likely be just done for speeding - 3 points and a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭whizbang

Wow. This is a first. A Garda actually noticing driving in the outside lane..

I hope you get Jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Can you claim the 187kph honesty clause? But seriously, I doubt there's any evidence of speeding, as in a camera or otherwise, so its likely it was a talking to from the Garda you got, to remind you to drive with manners in the driving lane. If it wasn't that, then perhaps its a summons or fixed penalty notice, and of course neither is good. But its not the end of the world. Worst case scenario is court and 3/5 points and/or a €400 fine? But I doubt it will come to that. You'll just have to wait a few weeks and see. Don't worry about it if you can, nothing you can do about it at this stage, even if you wanted/needed to.

Advertisement