Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you still have to give insurance details when taxing your car?

• 09-10-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm pretty sure, back in the bad old days, this was a way to check people were insured. There was no insurance disc back then so if you couldn't get a tax disc it was a clue to the Garda to check your insurance.

Went to renew online there and then remembered I'd have to dig out the policy when I get home. So it's just an annoyance but got me wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You can just enter any sequence of numbers into the insurance bit when taxing online; it's not linked to any insurance database. Once you physically populate the field, you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

When Gardai run a check on a car through Pulse your insurance company & expiry date will be on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You can just enter any sequence of numbers into the insurance bit when taxing online; it's not linked to any insurance database. Once you physically populate the field, you're good to go.

x2, i don't think i've ever put my correct details into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html:

"You need your insurance details and a debit or credit card for paying [motor] tax [online]."

In the UK, if using DVLA website for online motor tax renewal, system checks that car has up to date insurance and MOT before letting you proceed with the renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dial Hard wrote: »

+1 They'd probably like you to think that they can validate the policy number in the way that a mail order company can validate a credit card number (i.e. tell if it's real or not) but they can't so you can enter any rubbish.

When you renew the tax disc across the counter you have to show an insurance cert. so the specs. for the online system probably called for the policy number to be entered but it serves no purpose when it can't be validated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

It's a great little country. I wonder if the same would work with the kids' PPSNs for Irish Water? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 They'd probably like you to think that they can validate the policy number in the way that a mail order company can validate a credit card number (i.e. tell if it's real or not) but they can't so you can enter any rubbish.

When you renew the tax disc across the counter you have to show an insurance cert. so the specs. for the online system probably called for the policy number to be entered but it serves no purpose when it can't be validated.

Not in Dublin or Kildare anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

OSI wrote: »
    It's for the ANPR. The ANPR takes a copy of the Motor Tax database everyday, but has no access to the Insurance database. So they use the insurance details you gave them when renewing your tax. A crap solution from a crap system.
    That's fairly crap alright. I usually fill in the approximate date of expiry and if I can easily find the insurance company on the dropdown I use that too, but I randomly enter numbers. I figure once I'm properly insured and taxed and NCT'd sure who can argue?
    Also, it's kind of pointless, as my insurance could expire next week and I might now tax the car for a full year, so even entering the correct details it would be invalid by the time the tax disk gets here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

It's for the ANPR. The ANPR takes a copy of the Motor Tax database everyday, but has no access to the Insurance database. So they use the insurance details you gave them when renewing your tax. A crap solution from a crap system.

this is true - and if you enter real insurance details, tax car for say 12 months, then change insurance companies before you tax again - the ANPR thinks your insurance is out of date. If i was AGS i would be hesitant to pull in a car who the ANPR tells me has no insurance.

I think the Customs get insurance company Databases from various companies to target imported cars that are covered, on the road - but VRT not yet paid and reg-ed as Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

ANPR has access to the insurance database. They don't use the details you put in when you tax the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭emmetlego

ANPR? Is that an old Republican/Sinn Fein newspaper?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

emmetlego wrote: »
    ANPR? Is that an old Republican/Sinn Fein newspaper?

ANPR = automatic number plate recognition, it scans the plate and checks tax/insurance status

Stheno wrote: »
    ANPR = automatic number plate recognition, it scans the plate and checks tax/insurance status

And there was me thinking the Provos had us!

An Phoblacht Republican news!!!

Not in Dublin or Kildare anyway.

I'm fairly sure that the last time I taxed my car in Nutgrove, I handed over my insurance cert, the official looked at it and handed it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes.

Sayin aayo, Emmet lego...

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes.

Sayin aayo, Emmet lego...

Everything is AWESOME!!!

DaveD wrote: »
    ANPR has access to the insurance database. They don't use the details you put in when you tax the car.

What insurance database? Are you suggesting that there is a centralised database to which all of the insurance companies submit data?

One of the following must happen in order for the Gardai to have access to your insurance data.....

1. The insurance companies consolidate all of their policy data in one database to which the Gardai and/or the motor tax people in Shannon have access

2. Each of the insurance companies submit data piecemeal to the Gardai and this data is fed to the ANPR system.

Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

:pac::pac::pac: I like it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

coylemj wrote: »
    What insurance database? Are you suggesting that there is a centralised database to which all of the insurance companies submit data?

One of the following must happen in order for the Gardai to have access to your insurance data.....

1. The insurance companies consolidate all of their policy data in one database to which the Gardai and/or the motor tax people in Shannon have access

2. Each of the insurance companies submit data piecemeal to the Gardai and this data is fed to the ANPR system.

Which is it?

correct - a centralised insurance policy database does not exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

correct - a centralised insurance policy database does not exist

Time it did, right across the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

ardmacha wrote: »
    Time it did, right across the EU.

UK has this site, which is very useful:
    http://www.askmid.com/

Advertisement