Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAR THIEVES on the prowl

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Lot are robbing the exhaust system off mainly 4x4 and vans as higher off the ground and easier to acces without lifting.
    This is been done in car parks and at your house as you would be very unlikely to see them under the vehicle.

There are a group/community also lifting cars onto the back of recovery trucks and also have box body trucks as to hide the vehicle inside.
    I know sounds a bit hollywood but they are getting very crafty and have been at it years.

BMW of a certain recent enough era can be driven away without keys as the obd port is easily accessed and they plug there unit in start and drive away.

Stings should be set up like they do in the U.S and UK and possibly many other countries to catch this filth.

100% agree with this one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mind the language peeps

To the lad who states you need to have ignition powered on or engine running see this :-
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/09/18/bmw-stolen-hacking-kit/

No ignition power required only internal or under the hood access is required - opel, toyota, Volkswagen and various other brands are susceptible to this .

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Vehicle security has gone back to the days of swapping round the hazard switch on a Nova/Corsa. I thought that you needed the key... Obviously not

Keys are only for the honest people

I tied our rottwiler Ben (probably lick you to death...!) to the mirror of the Saab as he would be known for wandering. I came back 2mins later and announced to gathered nosey parkers that it was my car alarm........!

Well done OP for giving the heads up to this activity. Shows they had no guts to face you. Pure scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

what year was the 325 in question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

e92335i wrote: »
    what year was the 325 in question?

Nice username ;)

My Beammer is 05 and cars pre September 2011 are vulnerable ( For BMW anyway)

PS im not an OP only a thread starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

dbit wrote: »
    PS im not an OP only a thread starter.

OP = original poster

• Advertisement

Here some lads in action using the methods i speak of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHo-GYG25Q

At the very end you see it from another camera angle and low and behold the device is in one of they're hands .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Surely anyone in their right mind with one of these BMWs would stick an aftermarket security system in it (like a Clifford) so even if they do manage to clone the key they arent getting very far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

How would one go about finding if their car is susceptible to key cloning?

djimi wrote: »
    Surely anyone in their right mind with one of these BMWs would stick an aftermarket security system in it (like a Clifford) so even if they do manage to clone the key they arent getting very far?

Not really people are naive by nature Maybe a thread needs starting as there is a plethora of vulnerable cars and scumbags be lurnun n sheet.

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

Google , you tube , make model year ?????

Nissan micra 97 key fob cloning . (Had Too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

Put up your address and all your car details someone will let you know:pac::D;) they will show you by taking your car for a spin.

After 2011 they fixed that major issue as I am told. You should defo get another system on it as BMW won't back it up as they can't be seen to say there is a problem.

Insurance companies aand BMW should be making this known to all owners.

• Advertisement

Lil Update :- Well the reg plate i captured and gave to the guards have led to an arrest and they found a key cloner on them , they are of Lithuanian origin .

BBC im sure have done a report on a recent discovery of a warehouse in N. Ireland containing 120 BMW cars half of them chopped down and were being packed into containers bound for Lithuania . Hopefully some good peeps will get they're cars back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Plenty more of them I'd unfortunately, boat engines and bmws are easy pickings for them. Not to detract from your quick thinking and good car spotting in a distressing situation dbit. Some result better than no result. If they aren't already on bail and on the way home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

dbit wrote: »
    Lil Update :- Well the reg plate i captured and gave to the guards have led to an arrest and they found a key cloner on them , they are of Lithuanian origin .

BBC im sure have done a report on a recent discovery of a warehouse in N. Ireland containing 120 BMW cars half of them chopped down and were being packed into containers bound for Lithuania . Hopefully some good peeps will get they're cars back .

Well done.
    At least that's some consolation.

Advertisement