Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Bluemotion tested on Fifth Gear: 47.5mpg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

That 71mpg is only if you use the gears correctly and just drive like an ecometalist the whole time:rolleyes:
    All car manufactors go like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Earlier on the exact same show they were going "wow" at figures of 50mpg+ for some MPVs... which are as equally unlikely in read-world scenarios. No mention of "you'll never get that" though ;)
    Fact is if you hype anything up it's ten times more likely to be proved inaccurate/false (perfect example being the Prius).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There's a huge difference between 71 and 47mpg tho. I had a feeling that it might just be slightly too good to be true. Ah well.

JHMEG wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between 71 and 47mpg tho. I had a feeling that it might just be slightly too good to be true. Ah well.
    Whats the manufactors claim on the normal 1.9tdi's mpg?
    I wonder what would happen of 5th gear did it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭maidhc

Plug wrote: »
    Whats the manufactors claim on the normal 1.9tdi's mpg?
    I wonder what would happen of 5th gear did it....

I think diesels generally more accurately reflect manufacturers figures (I suspect this is because of the fact diesels are naturally sedate and low revving). I think it is fair to say the lower rpm an engine turns the less fuel passes through.

I think Ford quoted about 55mpg for my focus and it does between 50 - 54 depending on various factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I always thought the way manufacturers tested these figures was to cruise for long periods of time at for example 80km/h on a closed circuit and calculate their figures from that. At least I remember reading it in some manual before, there was even a figure for 60km/h!

Hence in the "real world" you are very unlikely to achieve the figures they state, as they are probably the absolute best you could possibly get, assuming that no driving you ever do involves cruising steadily at those kind of low speeds for long periods of time.

You are constantly going to be changing gears, accelerating, braking etc, all which uses more fuel in the real world.

Even on the motorways you are varying your speed now and then, and traveling at a less fuel efficient speed in the first place.

Have looked up a few reviews online... no-one seems to be getting more than about 60mpg out of the Polo. Autoexpress got a combined 58mpg. While still quite good, it's far off 71mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

what channel and when is fifth gear on?? never heard of it, sounds like a kinda more realistic version of Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

KidCapree wrote: »
    what channel and when is fifth gear on?? never heard of it, sounds like a kinda more realistic version of Top Gear.

Dunno when its on, but its on Channel Five.

Monday nights 8pm on five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Who actually does channel 5 in Ireland? Is it FTA on satellite now?
    sounds like a kinda more realistic version of Top Gear

Well actually it pretty much is the old version of Top Gear, minus Clarkson. Discovery used to show it but stopped ages ago :(

It's not Free-to-Air, but Free-to-View. You need a UK ftv card and a Sky box. All legit and fairly cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Well actually it pretty much is the old version of Top Gear, minus Clarkson. Discovery used to show it but stopped ages ago :(

You mean before it became Jackass/Brainiac/chat show? When they actually reviewed cars that people could afford and didn't resort to cheap stunts like vertical vs horizontal drag racing?

Boring! :p Think I'll stick with Captain Slow and his 2 handsome assistants :eek:

Monday nights 8pm on five.
    Is that on sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It's trying to copy Top Gear(but failing miserably, as the ratings have shown). Cue Tiff shouting "shut up" about the IS-F's gearbox, Clarkson did the same thing about the M5's sat nav a few years ago whenever it came out.

As an aside, Tiff and Vicki were in the BBC a few years ago, some of you will remember Tiff even presenting Top Gear too with Clarkson(and Quentin Wilson used to present it too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Yep i remember top gear with Jeremy, Tiff, Quentin and Vicki (she did a stint on it too) reviewed the Subaru Imprezza WRX and the Mitsi Evo 6 - I always wanted her job!

Check out the leather pants in this clip lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyyfQJu8A4

E92 wrote: »
    It's trying to copy Top Gear(but failing miserably, as the ratings have shown).
    And they really should stop... Top Gear is becoming more and more a comedy show and less and less a car show. But is still highly entertaining.

Whereas on Fifth Gear they actually review cars, but I wish they'd show more of Tiff, Jason Plato and VBH doing what they do best. Ironcally all 3 are/were professional racing drivers, whereas Top Gear is just 3 middle aged lads fooling around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Telegraph.co.uk motoring website got 60mpg. But for €2500 more than a bog standard tdi it would never recoup the difference. I thought this bluemotion technology involves a container of wee(urea). No mention of that in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭maidhc

whereas Top Gear is just 3 middle aged lads fooling around.

I agree. Top gear is little more than an entertainment show.

Advertisement