Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gears Problem Seat Ibiza

Options
  • 08-03-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi, driving home from work today and just as i was home, i noticed i couldn't put the car into 1st gear, all the other gears are grand including the reverse.

Anyone know what the problem could potentially be.

I've only be driving a few months so i've probably been riding the clutch a good bit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

If your lucky it could just be linkages that need adjustment, if not you may need a new gearbox.
    VW group gearboxes are terrible for reliability.

Is it a 5 or six speed and do you have big alloys fitted to the car?

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

5 speed and no alloys at all

hopefully not a new gearbox

i think seat arent reliable at all, had nothing but trouble since i got it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

whats the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

p~b wrote: »
    i think seat arent reliable at all, had nothing but trouble since i got it

Not something I've heard before.

I've had my 98 Ibiza for 18 months now & it's been a pleasure to own.
    Needed a new clutch cable but no other issues of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You've either a worn clutch or a defective pressure plate.

Is there any noticeable difference in the clutch pedal actuation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Were you changing down into first gear while moving? Rarely a good idea as it will wear out the 1st/2nd gear synchromesh.
    Or trying to engage 1st gear with the clutch in while stoppped?
    Can you engage 2nd gear when stopped? Try taking off in 2nd. Just use more revs and let the clutch out a bit slower than you normally would.

Seats are generally regarded as being more reliable than their VW parents and regularly feature higher in customer satisfaction surveys than equivalent VWs.
    As with Richyx, I had a '98 Ibiza for 2 years that never gave an ounce of trouble. Even the '87 Ibiza before it was fairly trouble free so long as it didn't rain (god bless WD40!).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magicjj5

I had the same problems with a vw caddy and a seat inca, couldnt get 1st easily or reverse some times, usually means clutch is worn badly and due replacing but when done problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

milltown wrote: »
    Were you changing down into first gear while moving? Rarely a good idea as it will wear out the 1st/2nd gear synchromesh.

+1

I had trouble changing gears (esp. 1st and 2nd) in my '98 Fiesta when cold - getting the gearbox oil changed improved things significantly.

Do these have the same gearboxes as Polos? I've heard of several '98 Polos requiring new gearboxes, though I don't know what the symptoms were.

Advertisement