Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting on Accident report from Gardai - How Long??

Options
  • 10-03-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭

I was involved in a car accident back on January 22nd (no persons injured). I have lodged a claim with the third party's insurance company and they have requested an 'Abstract Report' from the Gardai Station in question.

Now I have been in contact with the insurance company on a weekly basis since then to find out if they have received such a report.

To date they are telling me they have not received a report from the Gardai.

I have been in touch with the Garda in question and was told she will sort it out but guess what, nothing done!

I am fairly pissed off now driving around with a broken up front bumper and mis-aligned headlights!

Does anyone know is this delay normal or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Have experience of this , it sometimes takes over a month.

Usually theres nothing useful in them as well as cases where only material damage is involved are not investigated

I assume your involved in some kind of claim where liability is in dispute. Theres no strict timeframe for resolution here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for the reply barr, yeah the other guy is not claiming liability when it was clearly his fault (I may be biased but seriously I could nearly prove it by explaining how the accident happened and where the impact occurred, the lad pulled out on me on a roundabout!).

this has gone one for over a month now...i'm fed up with it all to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

statute of limitations is six months for road traffic incidents (afaik)
    its likely that the garda will get to it around that time

subway wrote: »
    statute of limitations is six months for road traffic incidents (afaik)
    its likely that the garda will get to it around that time

it will take the garda 6 months to write up an abstract report?? is that what you are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im saying they have other things to do and have 6 months to file a report to the dpp on a traffic incident.
    they will probably do your report at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

the lad pulled out on me on a roundabout!).

If the other guy won't admit liability be prepared for a 50/50 settlement. I was hit by a rental car on a roundabout nearly 3 years ago, the case was settled only two weeks ago...50/50...went all the way to the courthouse door. My solicitor said she has taken several roundabout accidents before the court and every single one was settled 50/50. Roundabouts are a grey area in road traffic law.
    It really sucks but I've been told this by my solicitor and several Gardai. Any crash on a roundabout with no injuries....50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

this has gone one for over a month now...i'm fed up with it all to be honest.

Give the Garda station a ring and find out when that officer is on duty and then call down to them at the station.

If you pay them a visit and explain the situation they should be able to get it done quicker for you... better than just a phonecall that they can hang up and forget about.

felim wrote: »
    If the other guy won't admit liability be prepared for a 50/50 settlement. I was hit by a rental car on a roundabout nearly 3 years ago, the case was settled only two weeks ago...50/50...went all the way to the courthouse door. My solicitor said she has taken several roundabout accidents before the court and every single one was settled 50/50. Roundabouts are a grey area in road traffic law.
    It really sucks but I've been told this by my solicitor and several Gardai. Any crash on a roundabout with no injuries....50/50.

a feck...suppose i just have to accept it so...I'm no different to the thousands of others affected by ****e drivers on roundabouts :mad:

Vikings wrote: »
    Give the Garda station a ring and find out when that officer is on duty and then call down to them at the station.

If you pay them a visit and explain the situation they should be able to get it done quicker for you... better than just a phonecall that they can hang up and forget about.

that's the best thing to do but unfortunately I can't make it out there during the working day. i could try it when she is on nights but she may not be in the station much then either, probably out on the beat or whatever they do.

I rang her there again just now and she is going to do it straight away but after 8 weeks of this I have finally decided to take this with a few pinches of salt and I am slowly beginning to accept the crappy fact that this will probably just end 50/50 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

a feck...suppose i just have to accept it so...I'm no different to the thousands of others affected by ****e drivers on roundabouts :mad:

Tell me about it. You have no idea how much more careful I am on roundabouts now. Right or wrong, don't have a tip on a roundabout. It was an expensive lesson, the total amount in the end was the bones of 10 grand in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

21 months and I've still heard nothing!!

Luckily I didn't need their report!

Had to get a neighbour who's a Garda to check out a licence plate for me.

felim wrote: »
    Tell me about it. You have no idea how much more careful I am on roundabouts now. Right or wrong, don't have a tip on a roundabout. It was an expensive lesson, the total amount in the end was the bones of 10 grand in my case.

****e 10k!!! oh god, suddenly my costs of 1700 seem trivial in comparison!
    to be honest I think I can get the work done for less than that, just that the guy heard that an insurance company may be paying for it so i think he was quite 'liberal' with the quote :rolleyes:

anyway, I will keep hassling the cops/insurance company until I get told to feck off.

Advertisement