Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Motor Collecting This Weekend

Options
  • 15-02-2015 10:45pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    Pickup up a BRAND spanking new car, never had a new new one, had ex demos and rental cars so 1st time.

Anyway. I am picking it in Naas Saturday morning and will head down to Mayo on Sunday, so will have clocked up 2.5 hours on Irish roads, so it going to get "exposed" straight off.
    Then it will be the following weekend before I can lay a paw, as I will be up and down to Galway almost every day of the following week.
    So will probably have 800km on it before I can do anything to seal it.

So I have my foam lance, have my power washer, have 2 buckets and 2 mitts.
    I have the various towels and micro fibre.
    I have Chemical Guys Black Light and Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Spray Sealant.

So what I am asking really is advice on whats the best way to go with this.

I found the Chemical guys products good on the ST and VRS but they were both "used" cars.
    The state of the roads and the sh!(*Te on them would depress the dog, so any advice to seal the allows and bodywork appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hybrid V7 is fine for short-term protection but if you want something that will last, I would go with CHemical Guys Jetseal followed by Collinite 845 or just Collinite on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Stick a layer of Blacklight and V7 on it.
    Some people regard Blacklight as protection, but not in our climate IMO...V7 is a Quick Detailer with a slight be of protection in it; maybe a week in current conditions; so will get you from wash to wash. But a layer of each is better than nothing! ;)

Good luck with the new motor! What you getting and what colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Whats the new car ? :)

Slather a 2mm coat of collinite on that bad boy to be sure,

Apply with a trowel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers lads,
    Am I better going with Collinite 845? If I have to get it I will though :D

Changing to the new VRS, Race blue with the black pack :)

Sorry only spotted Supergurrier reply there.

I might get the Collinite for sure then. Give it a good start in life! :D

Assumed he was asking what was best to do until he got his hands on some new protection??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am not refreshing enough! :D

Well I have the week to order it Curran, so I can get an order in, really its the week in between collection and having a chance to do anything with it.
    But I was just outlining what I had in the shed.

If I have to buy something new thats sound, I can get the order in today and have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would love to upgrade my vrs that new one is some serious bit of kit.

Good luck with the new motor.

I thought there are quick detailer that spray on you could give it a quick blast before the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would say a clay and 2 extremely light coats of collinite 845
    Leave a couple of hours between coats if possible.
    That would sort you for a while.

The Collinite is worth the investment. It spreads very easily and thinly and lasts ages. If you apply it right, you'll have the same bottle in 2 years' time!

vectra wrote: »
    I would say a clay and 2 extremely light coats of collinite 845
    Leave a couple of hours between coats if possible.
    That would sort you for a while.

Ok, will have a google on that.
    What is determined as "Extremely light"? Is that only have a very thin layer of "cream" on the car?

Would any place you know stock said items! :D

• Advertisement

As mentioned above, you could grab something like CarPro Reload, and apply it quite easily before leaving the garage, and you'll be happy in the knowledge that the car is protected for 3 months or so!!

Bit of a long video, but shows how easy it is to apply and how durable it is also!
    Comparing the 2013 and 2014 versions...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Another vote for Collinte 845. I applied two coats of it on my new car few months ago and its been great. Very easy to apply/buff off.

I bought it from : http://goo.gl/EXTk9s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Collinite lasts for ages, i still see the results and i applied it ages ago

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

I'm waiting to apply 845, thought it would not bond at current temperatures. would it be ok to go ahead now?

imo.. it will take a bit longer to cure but it will bond. Do put the bottle in the hot water and shake it well so that the wax is in a liquid-ish form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I bate it off the work bench :D

845 is supposed to be almost like a greasy water when it's applied to a surface. I use a jug of boiling water, let the bottle sit in that for about 10 mins then take it out, give a good shake and put it back into the water. You might want to replace it if it's gone cold.

Always best to keep it in hot water while you're working it onto the car.

Thank to Curran who sent this link.

Everything you need to know about Collinite 845 and how to apply!

http://goo.gl/4bpYIC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I bought 845 last night because of this thread, out of pure curiosity! Complete noob to detailing etc. Is there anything else I need to do after washing the car and applying 845? Is the applicator & microfiber ok for the job? I really should have asked these questions before purchase but I need something to do for the weekend!

spec_zpsjhwuytdt.jpg

Sitec wrote: »
    I bought 845 last night because of this thread, out of pure curiosity! Complete noob to detailing etc. Is there anything else I need to do after washing the car and applying 845? Is the applicator & microfiber ok for the job? I really should have asked these questions before purchase but I need something to do for the weekend!

spec_zpsjhwuytdt.jpg
    Have you washed, de tared
    , clayed, washed again then apply collinite.

Look through dertailing forum.

I plan on doing a big job when we get better weather.

• Advertisement

You'll do a grand job with those!
    The pile on the Slogger is a little short, but its a good quality cloth so will do a good job.

Have you washed, de tared
    , clayed, washed again then apply collinite.

Look through dertailing forum.

I plan on doing a big job when we get better weather.

The car is 13 days old (collected on Friday the 13th as well :pac:). I washed it last weekend but really want to protect the paint. It's not a metallic colour.
    Curran wrote: »
    You'll do a grand job with those!
    The pile on the Slogger is a little short, but its a good quality cloth so will do a good job.

What is a pile :o ? I watched a few videos about 845 and they recommend two coatings?

The car is 13 days old (collected on Friday the 13th as well :pac:). I washed it last weekend but really want to protect the paint. It's not a metallic colour.

What is a pile :o ? I watched a few videos about 845 and they recommend two coatings?

You would be surprised what contamination has been on car from shipping, sitting up in big yard and so on.

You would be surprised what contamination has been on car from shipping, sitting up in big yard and so on.

Would you know by looking at or feeling the surface if there's contamination ?

Pile; lenght of fibres

As adviced; car could have been sitting on the docks for weeks and could have any sort of contamination... impossible to know what is in or on the paint.
    Id probably consider an application of a fallout remover and a light claying to ensure the paintwork is in tip top condition and will ensure its in the best state to take 2 layers of the 845.

bbari wrote: »
    Would you know by looking at or feeling the surface if there's contamination ?

Not by looking....unless it was obvious, like say, parked under a tree or near a chimney.
    If you previously clayed a car, you might know the difference between contaminated paintwork and 'clean' paintwork. It should feel like glass or ice; very smooth. If it feels any way gritty, its contaminated.

Very true, original PDI was done in mid Jan so it was resting a while. Would you recommend a de-tar after 1400km? I suppose it depends on roads etc.

When should a clay-bar be used? :confused:

Very true, original PDI was done in mid Jan so it was resting a while. Would you recommend a de-tar after 1400km? I suppose it depends on roads etc.

When should a clay-bar be used? :confused:

Curran is the man in the know I have learned a lot from all of them on here.

I would say to get best results light clay.
    De tar spray a mist over give a good wash and apply collinite.

I have the clay bar which is different as its a sponge type with synthetic type surface on one side which you then spray a lubricant/polish type onto as you rub.

Curran wrote: »
    Pile; lenght of fibres

As adviced; car could have been sitting on the docks for weeks and could have any sort of contamination... impossible to know what is in or on the paint.
    Id probably consider an application of a fallout remover and a light claying to ensure the paintwork is in tip top condition and will ensure its in the best state to take 2 layers of the 845.

Can you recommend a fall out remover that can be bought locally? I really want to get some sort of protection on it this weekend.

• Advertisement

Its not something that you can pick up locally, but Detailing Shed are in Swords and Im sure they'd meet you for collection if it suited you both! ;)

Advertisement